Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Welcome to the 33Stack Specific Forum

Page 4 / 4

CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold
Topic starter  

I have run this defense from age 6 to my freshman team in HS ... so you should be fine ...

Weakest players for me almost always go at Middle Stacker and then the 2 Def Tackles ... others will put them at MS and NT and just go 42 and let them dive, crab or bear crawl the A-gaps when they expect very few runs in the middle ...

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

"Football may be the best-taught subject in American High Schools because it may be the only subject that we haven't tried to make easy."

~Dorothy Farnan
  Former English Department Chairman
  Erasmus Hall High School - Brooklyn, New York

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold

I put my mpp either in front of or behind a solid player in the stack. I had a very good nt, so MS was a good spot. If we went grim, he came off the field for someone else.  I had some talent in the stacks so I got a good rotation going. I had three stacks total getting 6 mpp type kids not just plays, but effective plays that we couldn't have done if we were playing a standard read and react odd front. And these kids gained a lot of confidence which only made them better in case of an injury.

Expect some blown plays. Teach them now that might happen but it's ok. Keeps them aggressive. And teach the corners their reads and to keep coming forward because they play a critical role.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

There are many ways to hide MPP's.  I would never put one in my middle stack backer personally.  When I first started with this defense, we had a backup reaper who was our second best player and our MSB was hurt for a player or two, I sent him in to replace him and he DESTROYED, made 2 or 3 plays in the backfield.  Ever since then I have had so much success with a GREAT MSB that I almost make him one of my top guys now when running 3-3

#1 - Reaper
#2 - Wide Side Dog
#3 - Wide Side Corner
#4 - MSB
#5 - Short Side Dog
#6 - Short Side Corner

rest..

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold

Thanks for the responses. I will have to figure this out based on what we have.

We have a coaches meeting tonight. The header is ambivalent about running this defense. He's afraid that we might be wearing out our three best players. He wants to run it as either a 33 or 42 Press, going back to being more of a read and react defense.

Initially, I put the the three best at Reaper and the two Dog positions. But they will need to be on the field pretty much the whole time. On offense, one is our QB, one is our FB and the third is our HB. How would you counter his argument? (We have 20 on the roster, but we've had a consistent 15 show up to practice.) I am saying that if the front 6 are attacking, big things are going to happen and they wont be on 'D' a whole lot of the time. I am also telling him that that there will be the occasional big play, but so long as the offense is clicking as it is now, giving up a TD now and then shouldn't be a problem.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold
Topic starter  

Thanks for the responses. I will have to figure this out based on what we have.

We have a coaches meeting tonight. The header is ambivalent about running this defense. He's afraid that we might be wearing out our three best players. He wants to run it as either a 33 or 42 Press, going back to being more of a read and react defense.

Initially, I put the the three best at Reaper and the two Dog positions. But they will need to be on the field pretty much the whole time. On offense, one is our QB, one is our FB and the third is our HB. How would you counter his argument? (We have 20 on the roster, but we've had a consistent 15 show up to practice.) I am saying that if the front 6 are attacking, big things are going to happen and they wont be on 'D' a whole lot of the time. I am also telling him that that there will be the occasional big play, but so long as the offense is clicking as it is now, giving up a TD now and then shouldn't be a problem.

1. With 20 kids, my $$$ says your best 3 will stay on the field the whole time no matter what Defense you run so that is irrelevant ...
2. With a read and react defense you spend more time on defense during the game ... aggressive defenses get off the field quicker ...
3. Front 6 will create havoc against most teams and many games my REAPER and DOGs and CORNERs get bored ... but those are NOT the important games and therefore that argument is not as good in my opinion ... but pressure will help make the jobs of those studs easier ...
4. We always have a goal of scoring 1 TD per quarter and giving up only 1 TD per half ... that is 28-14 for the math impaired ... or at worst it is 24-16 ... either way that is our goal ... and this defense is definitely capable of giving up 2 or less TDs per game no matter who you play ...

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

"Football may be the best-taught subject in American High Schools because it may be the only subject that we haven't tried to make easy."

~Dorothy Farnan
  Former English Department Chairman
  Erasmus Hall High School - Brooklyn, New York

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

My experience with this D and mpp types...this defense will turn them into contributors, in a meaningful way. Meaning they will make tackles and recover fumbles...if you train them to go forward...as others have suggested, the stacks is where they go...more protection for them.

I would not "tinker" with how the defense is supposed to work...on the select team I ran this with, the header was scared of an athlete we were going to face in a playoff game...so he tweaked the D...made the Reaper a spy on the athlete...which worked well when he got the ball, but the bad guys figured out we were spying him...so they used a lot of misdirection, where the athlete was nowhere near the football...the athlete didn't beat us...the rest of the team did. moral of the story, teach the boys how to play it in and then let them play.

One of the things I like about it, as the season goes on...your players will put the own "stamp" on it, making it uniquely theirs. Basically as they learn how to attack their part of the field successfully...i'll end up with one Dog lining up close to the LOS and just out of the TE's reach and the other lining up more by the book...because it works for them. Probably doing a bad job of explaining it, but the players almost become "fire and forget" missiles 🙂

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Muleman
(@muleman)
Lurker

Getting ready to unleash this monster for the second year!  Absolutely the most exciting defense in Pee Wee football. Kids love it, Parents love it,  great for inexperienced D-coordinators.  Last years team was very small, kids were told the only way they don't get to play on defense is if they didn't go 100% and didn't hit their gap.  1st scrimmage was a out of league team that was much bigger, undefeated in 3 years-  we stoned them. It looks good on you tube, when I witnessed it I started giggling.  That was capped off by hearing the opposing O coordinator say "I don't know what to do against this".  We were in base the whole time and kids were not executing well at this point and our D still dominated. Because of the concept we were able to give every kid meaningful downs in the pressure group and they all contributed. Our tiny team walked like giants in our league all the way to the championship.  If you are new to coaching or a undecided D coordinator commit to this defense 100% and have a ball!

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: