Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

The PPT for the clinic from last night is now posted on my ARTICLE PAGE at:

http://www.gregorydoublewing.com/63_Front_Six_SCAT.pdf

Jack

Coach Gregory, thanks for making this available.
On the Get Off Drill #2 Does the coach give the call to one side which executes the call.  Then, while that side is resetting he gives to the other side?

Just a little thick headed today.

Todd

Todd

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Coach Gregory, thanks for making this available.
On the Get Off Drill #2 Does the coach give the call to one side which executes the call.  Then, while that side is resetting he gives to the other side?

Just a little thick headed today.

Todd

Nope they both get off at the same time...as they get off and get past the HEELS/CONES you whistle to stop and they quickly rotate the other side, reset, and or ready to go again.  It is a very fast paced drill.  We try to get 15 to 20 reps because we go fast.  As always we correct on the fly.

Anything else you need Todd?

Jack

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Nope they both get off at the same time...as they get off and get past the HEELS/CONES you whistle to stop and they quickly rotate the other side, reset, and or ready to go again.  It is a very fast paced drill.  We try to get 15 to 20 reps because we go fast.  As always we correct on the fly.

Jack

I have updated my BENCH Page on my website.

As promised these are the youtube clips I like to coach my coaches and players with.  These are drills and shed moves we teach and I will update this page with more clips that I have.  I have been meaning to do this for a while and I figured this is a good time to do so.  I will also be adding my own game film clips as well as I have time to trim and pull video out.

http://www.gregorydoublewing.com/bench.html

Jack

ReplyQuote
pittpete
(@pittpete)
Copper

I've been reading everything on the 6-3.
I can't wait for the seasonm to start.
Thanks for this, it's really great stuff.

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

Jack

Jack, not yet at least.  I like the SCAT acronym.  Reinforces to me that teaching technique is the fine toothed tool that is not used until you have built the base of knowing how to align, where to align and where to go. Then, we can teach you "how" to go. Thanks again.
Todd

Todd

ReplyQuote
FlynnStones
(@flynnstones)
Bronze

The PPT for the clinic from last night is now posted on my ARTICLE PAGE at:

http://www.gregorydoublewing.com/63_Front_Six_SCAT.pdf

Jack

Jack thanks for all this, it's an excellent presentation!  Love the drills!

ReplyQuote
searider86
(@searider86)
Silver

Thanks Coach Gregory.  Great stuff as usual.  Do you have any video on the splitting the double team teaching?

If they get caught by the double team they must latch on to the near arm pit (cloth under arm pit) or lock both blocker’s tricep in (arm lock) into your chest and drive one knee down as they pull down on both arm pits/arms and drive the double team into the ground at the
LOS creating a barrier.

"Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority."

Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Thanks Coach Gregory.  Great stuff as usual.  Do you have any video on the splitting the double team teaching?

I got some good video while doing the Pursuit, Tackling, Shed, and Turnovers videos.  That stuff will be on the DVD's from Championship.

I actually use two techniques... A BUTT TECHNIQUE and a DROP TECHNIQUE.  The DROP techinque is the one I describe and I taught it to two kids during the filming and both on the first try dropped both linemen right down and both complained they didn't like it.  Both of them executed the BUTT technique as well...not as violent but the guy getting the butt in his hip didn't like it.  The BUTT is used for a DOUBLE and the DROP is used for a COMBO.

Jack

Here is a video clip of the BUTT TECH:

The only difference is we use a POST tech initially to get past the OLM but if we don't get past the OLM we turn that into a double post (both palms on shoulder and drive him out) as you violently rip your butt into the hip of the other OLM.  Hold ground and this eats up three gaps.

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

Jack I have a general question that does not pertain to your defense.  Per the video above and based on play at the youth level, if you scouted a team and knew they used a variety of double team blocks in their scheme.  Would you say it is more beneficial to the defense to have a D Lineman head up or shaded into a gap.  I'm thinking head up as it creates a greater distance the off O-Linemen has to travel to double team, which would allow a D-linemen more time to react and preform the Butt Technique.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Jack I have a general question that does not pertain to your defense.  Per the video above and based on play at the youth level, if you scouted a team and knew they used a variety of double team blocks in their scheme.  Would you say it is more beneficial to the defense to have a D Lineman head up or shaded into a gap.  I'm thinking head up as it creates a greater distance the off O-Linemen has to travel to double team, which would allow a D-linemen more time to react and preform the Butt Technique.

As a base a DOUBLE TEAM use a BUTT TECH to seperate them and against COMBO TEAM use a DROP TECH.  Obviously against teams with wide splits that like to double HEAD  UPS is a good tech because the tech is easier to execute.  With that said teams that like to play with wide splits invite us to GAP a lot more if we feel we can easily slip past the line and reestablish (shrink) the LOS. 

Just as a side note I have found that teams that like to zone the DROP TECH is very effective..it basically removes two blockers and closes three gaps and it reduces horizontal and vertical movement.  Mainly because of how the zone tech works with covered/uncovered. They essentially play half a man so the blocker near the LB can displace and go vertical and take the LB.  By using the DROP TECH the LB is now clean to flow to the ball.

Jack

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I got some good video while doing the Pursuit, Tackling, Shed, and Turnovers videos.  That stuff will be on the DVD's from Championship.

I actually use two techniques... A BUTT TECHNIQUE and a DROP TECHNIQUE.  The DROP techinque is the one I describe and I taught it to two kids during the filming and both on the first try dropped both linemen right down and both complained they didn't like it.  Both of them executed the BUTT technique as well...not as violent but the guy getting the butt in his hip didn't like it.  The BUTT is used for a DOUBLE and the DROP is used for a COMBO.

Jack

Here is a video clip of the BUTT TECH:

The only difference is we use a POST tech initially to get past the OLM but if we don't get past the OLM we turn that into a double post (both palms on shoulder and drive him out) as you violently rip your butt into the hip of the other OLM.  Hold ground and this eats up three gaps.

Folks, the attached is a great way to defeat the zone block!  Notice how the butt stays low as they "Get Skinny" and shield themselves from the double team.  They can still come off and make a play if the ball goes outside their position.  2 blockers, one man. 
The tendency at the youth level will be to try to stay on the DL rather than go second level.  If they leave too soon they defeat the Zone concept turning it into BOB.
Good Stuff.  😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: