Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Calls in the 2nd Edition of the 63 Book

Page 1 / 2

coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
Topic starter  

I am finishing up the manuscript of the 2nd edition and I wanted to bounce this off all the 63 coaches to see what you guys like on the calls names.  I have changed a few things up to make it easy when transition from a base 63 into other fronts. 

I am giving you the ability to rename some stuff so I am totally open to suggestions. 

I will list the calls out and explain what they do for each. Bear in mind what I did was for MIKE calls I used all M words with anything OUTSIDE with a MO and anything inside with a MI in most cases.  If we went with two mikes the second mike is called a ROVER because that is really what he is... so all R words will be for the ROVER using the same set up.

All N words for NT.

So here are the MIKE and ROVER calls:

MIKE CALLS:
MICKEY:  Inside blitz either A gap using a creep walk up.  Typically attack through the center’s snapping arm.  If a NT is over center tap/communicate with him on the side you want him to slant to.
MOUSE:  Align inside of the DE in two point blitz stance.  Attack near hip of the QB.
MONKEY:  Align outside of the DE in a two point blitz stance and use DE techniques.  You are the DE now.
Add TWIST to either MOUSE or MONKEY and they start in that position and swap jobs as they twist with inside man twisting behind the outside man who is attacking the near hip of the QB.
MOVER:  (old ROVER call) align at normal depth between the DE and 2nd eligible receiver from sideline.  Either inside or outside.  If MOON and SPREAD is called OLB takes 2nd and MIKE takes third.  OLB has priority as he is OUTSIDE.  Play your MIKE tech but from that position. If aligned outside of the DE you are playing in a tilted stance FTB.
-----------------------------------c-----------------------------------------------------------------------c
---------------------m-----------------------------------------------------------------------m
----------g—t-----------e------------------------------------------------g—t------e
--------C-G-T-E--------------------------------------------------------C-G-T-------------------------------------E
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------S
MUG – Mike press coverage:  MUG (JERSEY #).
MUG-SQUAT Mike press coverage and drop into flat coverage
MUG – BAIL Mike press and bail into deep coverage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ROVER CALLS (second mike):
RICKY: same as MICKEY
ROCKY:  same as MOUSE
ROBO:  same as MONKEY
ROBBER:  same as MOVER
RUG – same as MUG.

NT - normal technique is to explode/launch into the CENTER and drive him back and when you locate the ball PUSH/PULL him away from direction of ball and go through his hip to the ball (BULL TECH).

First are inside techniques - NICK and NINJA

NICK is a essentially a STACK with MIKE using TAPS.  Allowing us to play pressure on the inside A gaps.  (MICKEY/NICK)
NINJA is a zone drop call to the NT.  NINJA the NT will drop like a LB and read the QB.  He needs to take 3 to 4 steps quickly back as he gets his eyes on the QB.  Continue to drop if the QB is still dropping and set when he does.  If he rolls you slow roll.  Your job is to rob the shallow drag and drag routes.

Outside techniques - NOSE and NOVA

NOSE - the NT shifts from his NT technique to the inside of the DE and aligns in a 3 point stance and is going to use the same GAP HUNT technique that OLB uses... Attacking the near hip of the QB.

NOVA - moves the DE inside and the NT outside (NT attacks the near hip of the DEEP/NEAR BACK) and the DE attacks the near hip of the QB. 

TWIST tag added to any QB/DEEP BACK HUNT tells the inside defender to twist outside and behind the outside defender who is now attacking the near hip of the QB while the inside defender comes out and back inside and attacks the near hip of the DEEP/NEAR back.  The TWIST is on the run as you go inside.

If you have other suggestions I am totally open as I am horrible with nicknames...we make them up on the fly but I want to make sure we have a common language we can all understand. 

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

Jack, have you given any thought to creating any combination calls that in 1 word will place the mike and the river? For instance, in our final game I wanted the LBs in stack with mike and rover in a squat alignment. Since I was going to be using it often I called it bunch.
If I wanted to bring mike or rover I would tag him.

Bunch Mike sent mike and Bunch Mo sent Mo. I know once i called bunch Mo Sky as the offense was moving to the line. not sure I could have got everyone in position if I would have to call Stack 53 mover Go rover sky. Just a thought.

Todd

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Jack, have you given any thought to creating any combination calls that in 1 word will place the mike and the river? For instance, in our final game I wanted the LBs in stack with mike and rover in a squat alignment. Since I was going to be using it often I called it bunch.
If I wanted to bring mike or rover I would tag him.

Bunch Mike sent mike and Bunch Mo sent Mo. I know once i called bunch Mo Sky as the offense was moving to the line. not sure I could have got everyone in position if I would have to call Stack 53 mover Go rover sky. Just a thought.

I do that as well.  If we use multiple calls I just make up a call for it.  I think I would let each coach do that because it probably needs to be something that they can remember.  But I am totally open to suggestions.

Jack

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

That makes more sense. Otherwise the manual would be to cumbersome. I like the call names.

Todd

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
Topic starter  

That makes more sense. Otherwise the manual would be to cumbersome. I like the call names.

Once I get it completed I will send you, Robert, and Shad the manuscript to review.  I want it to be a really good source document for us to all work off of.

Jack

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

I can't wait to study version 2

Todd

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

I'm just going to throw these out there.

Monkey to Mongo (double “O” can mean out farther beyond DE – Out, Out)
Robo to Rondo (double “O” can mean out farther beyond DE – Out, Out)

Nose to Noose

Nova to Noose (double “O” can mean out farther beyond DE – Out, Out)

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
Topic starter  

I'm just going to throw these out there.

Monkey to Mongo (double “O” can mean out farther beyond DE – Out, Out)
Robo to Rondo (double “O” can mean out farther beyond DE – Out, Out)

Nose to Noose

Nova to Noose (double “O” can mean out farther beyond DE – Out, Out)

MONGO and RONDO done.

Did you mean to print NOOSE twice?

Jack

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

Did you mean to print NOOSE twice?

Jack

Yes and no ... I edited my post, to coincide with the double "O" theme I was going with, forgot to remove the other one.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Yes and no ... I edited my post, to coincide with the double "O" theme I was going with, forgot to remove the other one.

So you mean NOVA inside and NOOSE outside? If so I like it...makes perfect sense.

This is why asked 🙂

Jack

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

Yes. Noose I thought would be a good defensive word.

Knowing you have a military background I was going to suggest Romeo in lieu of Rondo, but scrapped the thought.  We need fighters, not lovers out there.

ReplyQuote
crissaitch
(@crissaitch)
Bronze

I'm diggin' the NINJA call... we never got that far into the playbook to use something like that last season, but I'm definitely storing that one up my sleeve for a rainy day, regardless of which defense the HC chooses next.

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
Topic starter  

I'm diggin' the NINJA call... we never got that far into the playbook to use something like that last season, but I'm definitely storing that one up my sleeve for a rainy day, regardless of which defense the HC chooses next.

In the 2009 DPL Championship game we played our rival and a very good spread team that was being OC'd by a former college OC.  They ran a lot of shallow drag and mesh.  We decided that in the 2nd half (part of our game plan) that we would start dropping our DG's (in EVEN front) or our NT (in ODD fronts) to rob the drag. It just happened our DC called for both our DT's to drop and the offense called a shallow drag the QB never saw our DT and threw it right to him...allowing us to score one more time and put the game away...  Against spread teams we do a lot of zone blitz (DLInE drop and rob the lanes)...works very well for us against all the AIRRAID and MESH/SHALLOW concepts.

Jack

ReplyQuote
crissaitch
(@crissaitch)
Bronze

We don't see much passing in our league; 5 pass plays per game on average, maybe a little higher against the better coached teams. But this NINJA call is speaking to me... I'm envisioning a Strong NINJA where he strong side DG / DT drop into shallow zone against a flood pass, Weak NINJA against waggle... Inside NINJA, Outside NINJA... it's becoming a whole zone blitz based defense on it's own...

ReplyQuote
Samuels
(@samuels)
Bronze

I have'nt been on here in a bit but when is the ETA on the book?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: