Notifications
Clear all

Gregory 6-3 so far this season

Jtatham
(@jtatham)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Last year was our first year running the defense and we had solid success with defense despite being plagued with injuries all year. The league champ and runner-up each scored 22pts on us, and one team scored 24pts (due to poor tackling). Other than that the most points we gave up in a game was eight. We had two shutouts including a 38-0 win where we didn't give up a single first down.

Two games into this year and we're 2-0 with a combined score of 46-0. We gave up 3 first downs in the first game, need to watch the film of the second game still. We did give up a long TD on a reverse in the second game, but it was called back for a block in the back.

This year we are trying out some rules and looks based on the situation that so far are very helpful for us that I thought I would share. This might help some of you, or you might help me by seeing problems with it. 🙂

vs pro/wing formation -> DEs are auto "fire" call, no flat responsibility
vs twins -> DEs widen and check flats
vs trips -> DEs are auto "fire" call, default alignment. LB on that side is an auto "red spread" call
vs double tight/full house backfield -> run "Ninja" with two shallow safeties, LBs are in a 6 tech head up on TEs jamming and reading the football ("stone" call without having CB help with the stone). Three down linemen have auto "Bull" call to jam lineman and read the ball, playing 2-gap tech. Similar to "Okie Dog Pinch"
vs Single Wing/Beast/overload formation -> run "Nick"/"Nose" with the Mike playing strong side "Monster" and Mo playing middle of the field. Everyone's the same as vs double tight/full house except Mike is rotated to strong side

For our CBs, we default to the "sky" call (4-5yds) unless they have a receiver lined up wide. So vs TE/wing they are 4-5yds, vs split end/flanker they are 8-10yds

All these rules can be changed on the fly given the situation of course. We have been blessed with good size, speed, and numbers. So our logic is to attack with immediate pressure out of base to try to get teams playing behind the chains, and then switch to a two safety "Ninja" look when we get teams in "and long" situations where they are limited to sweeps, reverses, or passes or other big plays. So far this is working well for us and is also helping us rotate all the kids based on their skillset.

Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Great job coach.
I will always believe in this defense. It helped me look like I was a coach that knew what he was doing.

Congrats and keep the fires lit

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Great work Coach! Keep working the defense. It is a confidence building defense and it can be stifling for many offenses. Keep building on it.

ReplyQuote
Jtatham
(@jtatham)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Quick update - I spoke too soon haha! Since my original post, we have played the reigning league champs and were whipped 38-0. This team has never lost a game, so our kids were mentally defeated even before they stepped foot on the league. That being said, I didn't have them prepared well enough, the game shouldn't have been that out of hand.

I think we turned the ball over on our first three possessions - hard to beat a bad team doing that much less a team that's never lost. So our defense was on the field most of the game. Plus our boys never executed the calls we had worked on. We were in an odd front with very little alley help from our linebackers.

(Painful) lesson learned - TEACH THE OUTSIDE LATERAL STEP FOR LINEBACKERS IN "RED" PER JACK'S RECOMMANDATION. Up to that point, we did not make a point of that, but what we found is that instead of stepping downhill, our linebackers were dropping back. They said they could not read the football at the 3yd depth without taking a drop step. Duh. The lateral step outside has helped tremendously, both for the playside backer flowing to the ball and the backside backer for BCR.

I'm happy to report that in spite of the 38-0 mulligan, we have since won 14-0 last weekend and 20-0 this past weekend, putting us at 4-1, second place in the league, and best of all other than the "mulligan" we have still yet to surrender a single point.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Great going coach

Congrats

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
TigerMOJO
(@infccoach)
Silver

My LBs kindsla said the same thing... So I lined them up inside foot lines with outside foot of DT and now playing 3.5 yds off ball and step forward at snap and read. Places them exactly where they would be if they lined up in base.

I always thought step out read step since running this D 4 yrs now but this seed to help this bunch. Mainly one LB done it bad but wanted to keep them the same.

I play with all kinds things with this D. This weekend based on scouting... We're shifting to overload and backside DT and LB running taps as a single Stack... Backside DG is always shooting strong side A off of center. Bull the TE every play.

Having trouble with DE play tho... Trying to fix it or find someone else... Starting Strong DE been out 4 weeks. Should be back Friday.

Pain is Temporary...Pride is Forever!

A Champion will do what a loser won't do to succeed!!

Who Am I?

ReplyQuote
Share: