Notifications
Clear all

If you 4 D-linemen are MPPs, what gaps do you have them cover?

Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

I have 2 decent DE's and I have 2 LBs that can stop the run from tackle to tackle, but my 4 inside guys are very weak, we are working on them.  But to start, before stacking and stunting, would you prefer these 4 MPP players cover the A and B gaps, or do you prefer to have them cover the A and C gaps?

Just thinking while at work?

coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

I have 2 decent DE's and I have 2 LBs that can stop the run from tackle to tackle, but my 4 inside guys are very weak, we are working on them.  But to start, before stacking and stunting, would you prefer these 4 MPP players cover the A and B gaps, or do you prefer to have them cover the A and C gaps?

Just thinking while at work?

The two better athletes should start at DT and the other two at DG.  With that said I would flip them at times to keep the offense honest.

If facing  a team that wedges or dives a lot I would swap them as well.

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

The two better athletes should start at DT and the other two at DG.  With that said I would flip them at times to keep the offense honest.

If facing  a team that wedges or dives a lot I would swap them as well.

Jack

To keep it simple until they start to get it, in a watered down version, would you want all 4 covering the A and B gaps?

What if you are playing a team that loves to run off tackle?

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

To keep it simple until they start to get it, in a watered down version, would you want all 4 covering the A and B gaps?

I am not sure you want to run this defense if you are going to have them sit in a same GAP all the time.  One of the advantages your player has is the blocker doesn't know if that defender will go into either the RIGHT or LEFT GAP.  If you stick him in one gap you should just play the GAM.... 

If it was me I would have them slanting into both gaps A/B and C/B and that along with the OLB blitzing (at times if using RED as well) will create enough chaos to put the pressure on the oline and make it easier for your MPP DLINE.

Jack

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

I agree with Jack.

I only wish I could have used this defense last year to its full capabilities. I was restricted to B and C gaps all last season.  While that might be fine, it leaves the middle open and the coaches can pretty much see what you DL is doing on every play.  I had to compensate buy stunting with a bit of the Bull call, it was all I could do.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

From Experience....play the full "taps" from the get go. I made the mistake not playing the taps with my DG (MPPs) the first 2 weeks thinking I was doing them some type of favor.

The one thing the taps does for the MPP is it puts doubt in the C/OG minds...they can not tee off on your MPP. Very seldom did my DG come free from the taps but the DT about 1 in 5 plays and the OLB ran free 50% of the time.

In those first 2 games I had my little DG wanting out of the game, after we went full taps, no complaints and one of them graduated from MPP status on Defense in my opinion.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I dont play taps, I didnt use stacks much either.  I did use in and out calls directed towards the DG and DT.  If the opponent was just plain determined to run C I simply gapped the DT in C.  I Pissed off an OCD because he flipped his line and I used an out call and brought the OSLB up on the outside of the OT/TE.  Really sent him over the edge when the DE dropped his back in the backfield 3 straight times.  I dont ever think he knew I was simply using the same call to either side he sent the "Behemoth Boys" to. 

;D

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

If you need to coach you can call me if you need to talk through it all.

PM me and I will give you my number.

ReplyQuote
Share: