Notifications
Clear all

Mike is not as aggresive or forceful as one would hope

Page 1 / 2

Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

He is by far the fastest kid on my team, 2nd biggest and a stud, but in the 6-3 as a Mike he tends to watch, he is never attacking or cleaning anything up.  He is letting the RB run to him.

What can I do?

RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

Replace him or at the very least start moving them around. My MIKE last year ended up being a kid I had pegged as a DT type or a Slow DE, big, average speed but saw the field well. Didn't have the speed you would like but ended up being the best option. Had a short discussion with coach and he recommended moving the DE/MIKE's around during the drills. 1.) you might discover something. 2.) it helps them understand their job and how it relates.

Last season my first MIKE I moved in to the Stack as a LB to try and get him to play more aggressive since the Stack LB seem to figure out the taps that allow them to come free, can't say he every figured it out or that we figured out how to get through to him. I would still catch him making his tap and then standing there peaking into the backfield behind the DT.

2nd MIKE ended as a DE and made some plays but had a hard time with BCR.

ReplyQuote
belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond

Put him at DE, let him hunt.

ReplyQuote
cool hand luke
(@cool-hand-luke)
Bronze

Is he not aggressive because he is watching, and trying to figure out what to do, and go slowly through reads? If so moving him to de would make lots of sense

sometimes nothing is a real cool hand

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

He is by far the fastest kid on my team, 2nd biggest and a stud, but in the 6-3 as a Mike he tends to watch, he is never attacking or cleaning anything up.  He is letting the RB run to him.

What can I do?

Shamrock.

I always put a kid at MIKE that can first run to the ball naturally...usually you can find one or two kids on the team that will just get down hill and to the ball.  That is the kid you want to start with....

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

Shamrock.

I always put a kid at MIKE that can first run to the ball naturally...usually you can find one or two kids on the team that will just get down hill and to the ball.  That is the kid you want to start with....

Jack

Coach,

So he doesn't have to be the fastet kid, he is our only stud?  I have two decent DE's who do their jobs, just trying to get them to be more consistent so I won't put him there. 

I have a kid who played MLB for me for years on a different D, he is playing OLB here, he is not the fastest kid but can go tackle to tackle, reads the O well and has great anticipation, would he be someone more suitable?

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

Coach,

So he doesn't have to be the fastet kid, he is our only stud?  I have two decent DE's who do their jobs, just trying to get them to be more consistent so I won't put him there. 

I have a kid who played MLB for me for years on a different D, he is playing OLB here, he is not the fastest kid but can go tackle to tackle, reads the O well and has great anticipation, would he be someone more suitable?

That sounds like the kid you want to start with.

ReplyQuote
Samuels
(@samuels)
Bronze

Jack, I've had this same issue occasionally with my Mike.

The 2 teams we have scrimmaged have struggled getting clean handoffs lots of inside the tackles messes. I've stood behind my Mike and its hard to read even for me because its a jumbled mess. So he seems to be reading trying to find the ball.

What should I do in the situation tell him to just fly into the pile of mess?

He is our biggest,fastest most physical player. He could play OLB and De as well and be very effective.

The biggest issue is the kid while physically dominant is only a 2nd year player who never played defense but will hit you.

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

Jack, I've had this same issue occasionally with my Mike.

The 2 teams we have scrimmaged have struggled getting clean handoffs lots of inside the tackles messes. I've stood behind my Mike and its hard to read even for me because its a jumbled mess. So he seems to be reading trying to find the ball.

What should I do in the situation tell him to just fly into the pile of mess?

He is our biggest,fastest most physical player. He could play OLB and De as well and be very effective.

The biggest issue is the kid while physically dominant is only a 2nd year player who never played defense but will hit you.

Yes he gets downhill and hit.  If you watch our film you can see a slow or bad hand off and the mike hits the exchange.

Jack

ReplyQuote
Samuels
(@samuels)
Bronze

Yes he gets downhill and hit.  If you watch our film you can see a slow or bad hand off and the mike hits the exchange.

Jack

This is more of just a pile of people these teams are horrible. It was hard to me to diagnose standing behind him. But he still needs to be moving forward sometimes he was just reading.

ReplyQuote
Boe44
(@boe44)
Silver

Have him go Lavar Arrington on them. From his college days 🙂

Anybody who would pay $50 for youth football materials in March has exactly the psychological issues you want for this sort of thing.    --- Michael

ReplyQuote
Andrew76
(@andrew76)
Silver

Shamrock.

Jack

Jack, how do you find this player?  Is it just through your own instinct and observation in general or do you see certain keys in certain drills that show who the right one is?

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

Jack, how do you find this player?  Is it just through your own instinct and observation in general or do you see certain keys in certain drills that show who the right one is?

Tackling drills and pursuit drills will tell you who will get down hill and attack the runner.  I get a good idea what my players can do from those drills on defense....Tackling and pursuit...after that I want to see them in turnover drills.  All of this will show aggressiveness, reaction, and desire.

Jack

ReplyQuote
Samuels
(@samuels)
Bronze

Tackling drills and pursuit drills will tell you who will get down hill and attack the runner.  I get a good idea what my players can do from those drills on defense....Tackling and pursuit...after that I want to see them in turnover drills.  All of this will show aggressiveness, reaction, and desire.

Jack

This what I do Jack. My Mike is a machine sideline to sideline and will hit you. But I've noticed a lot of reading on interior dives where it is seems to not be clean handoffs/holes. Once he sees the ball its all downhill. But in our scrimmage on one play he let a lineman get into him at good depth.

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

This what I do Jack. My Mike is a machine sideline to sideline and will hit you. But I've noticed a lot of reading on interior dives where it is seems to not be clean handoffs/holes. Once he sees the ball its all downhill. But in our scrimmage on one play he let a lineman get into him at good depth.

That sounds more like he needs to get a feel for it..the more drills, half lines, and game experience he gets the more intinct he will develop for those type of plays.

Jack

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: