Notifications
Clear all

Personel for the 63 Defense

Page 1 / 2

coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Questions about personel for the 63 defense.

I am including a link as well to a discussion on placement:

http://www.dumcoach.com/index.php/topic,3276.0.html

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

LPcoachchuck
(@lpcoachchuck)
Copper

I will be HC and DC of a 6th grade team this coming season and plan on running 6-3.  Don't have any kids that can run stride for stride w fastest kids in league but do have some quick 100-115 pounders that can move sideline to sideline very well.  D-line will be made up of smaller quick kids (DG's) and a couple of 120-130 pound hosses (DT's) as well.  I think I'll be able to place most of these kids but have a dilemma with one.  He's 68 lbs soaking wet and the shortest kid on the team.  He has slightly better than avg speed but a nose for the ball and absolutely no fear.  If he was 5' and 90 lbs he would be a beast and play MLB or field side DE.  He played mostly corner last year but had a rough time handling coverage against the 1 team that threw the ball and I expect more passing this year.  He was there but taller receivers would just reach over him.  What would ya'll do with a kid like this?

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
Topic starter  

I will be HC and DC of a 6th grade team this coming season and plan on running 6-3.  Don't have any kids that can run stride for stride w fastest kids in league but do have some quick 100-115 pounders that can move sideline to sideline very well.  D-line will be made up of smaller quick kids (DG's) and a couple of 120-130 pound hosses (DT's) as well.  I think I'll be able to place most of these kids but have a dilemma with one.  He's 68 lbs soaking wet and the shortest kid on the team.  He has slightly better than avg speed but a nose for the ball and absolutely no fear.  If he was 5' and 90 lbs he would be a beast and play MLB or field side DE.  He played mostly corner last year but had a rough time handling coverage against the 1 team that threw the ball and I expect more passing this year.  He was there but taller receivers would just reach over him.  What would ya'll do with a kid like this?

Above average speed.  His he athletic?  Can he cover space?  If so he can play zone in the 63.

If not I would play him on the DEFENSIVE line where you can take advantage of his stature and his above average speed and put him up against the slowest big guy on their line.  They will have a hard time dealing with the slanting defender of that size.  You simply need to teach him to use his size and speed.

My perspective...CB if he can cover space, OLB in a STACK call only.  DL as a slanting DG or DT against the big slow kid on the OLINE.

Jack

ReplyQuote
lost episodes
(@ltlacy)
Silver

What would ya'll do with a kid like this?

I play him at DE because if he played CR that means he is discipline and trusted!

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
Topic starter  

I play him at DE because if he played CR that means he is discipline and trusted!

He will not hold up against lead blocks and double lead blocks so he would become a liability in this defense.  At 68lbs he best played in space at CB or inside at DL/OLB.  I am not sure I would even think about putting him at DE.  He does sound like solid DE prospect but you do have to consider his size biologically.

Jack

ReplyQuote
lost episodes
(@ltlacy)
Silver

He will not hold up against lead blocks and double lead blocks so he would become a liability in this defense.  At 68lbs he best played in space at CB or inside at DL/OLB.  I am not sure I would even think about putting him at DE.  He does sound like solid DE prospect but you do have to consider his size biologically.

Jack

I did not see that he is only 68lbs then yes I would leave him at cr and then to safety on long downs since he have a nose for the ball or on the line but he might get wore down in the trenches.

ReplyQuote
LPcoachchuck
(@lpcoachchuck)
Copper

My thoughts were d-line or corner.  He plays well in space and was one of our better open field tacklers last year.  Poor little dude only gained 2 pounds in the offseason and doesn't look any taller but has more heart than any kid I've been around.  DE would probably be setting him up for failure. We face some teams that will be running 115-120 lb FB's at him.  Will probably get his snaps at CB with a few at DG/DT thrown in vs weak links on oline.

Thanks for the input.

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold

Why not give him some reps at OLB and see how it shakes out.

ReplyQuote
lost episodes
(@ltlacy)
Silver

I know everyone is saying OLB but if he is going to get beatup at DE he will be getting attacked by TE's, FB's and many crackback's. IMO

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

I know everyone is saying OLB but if he is going to get beatup at DE he will be getting attacked by TE's, FB's and many crackback's. IMO

LT, You would be surprised at the level of "protection" that the OLBs have with the D line and where they are aligned. I dont see very many people getting to our OLBs very often.
With the 2 DEs and the 4 D linemen it just gets "busy" in the backfield if you try to go for a LB instead of a linemen.

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
lost episodes
(@ltlacy)
Silver

LT, You would be surprised at the level of "protection" that the OLBs have with the D line and where they are aligned. I dont see very many people getting to our OLBs very often.
With the 2 DEs and the 4 D linemen it just gets "busy" in the backfield if you try to go for a LB instead of a linemen.

I'm thinking if they are going against the DCWT on just the base plays! Track blocking from wb or se and then going into slot now he's back in space.

ReplyQuote
LPcoachchuck
(@lpcoachchuck)
Copper

We will face a Wing T but don't think it's DCWT.  New team in our conference that we haven't played before.  I can see what he can do at OLB once we get going since I'm pretty sure I can trust him at corner.  We have 3 weeks of Monday thru Saturday practices before our 1st game so if I can't get my personnel issues squared away in that time I'm not a very good coach. 

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Wheaton Warrenville South won state in Illinois (and was ranked by USA Today) with a NG who was in the 140s (maybe 150, but I doubt it).  Saw their DC talk at a Glazier, and he said the kid was fine.  For them, at NG, size isn't an issue.  They don't run the 63, but still, that's a 7A high school in a 7A/8A league.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Wheaton Warrenville South won state in Illinois (and was ranked by USA Today) with a NG who was in the 140s (maybe 150, but I doubt it).  Saw their DC talk at a Glazier, and he said the kid was fine.  For them, at NG, size isn't an issue.  They don't run the 63, but still, that's a 7A high school in a 7A/8A league.

Playing a line position is more about a certain mentality.  A huge kid can be a pillow and a small kid a pit bull.  I will often sub an ankle biter in just to out quick the OL.  Granted not just any ankle biter kid has the cahones to do this.  Our HS had a 154 pound OG who was a trapping machine! 

To add a little flavor to Mikes post.  Maine South (8A Champs) had an offensive line that many JU CO's and D3 teams don't have.  Were talking a 250/ 260 average across the front. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

To follow up Shad's follow-up, Wheaton Warrenville South beat Maine South 44-7 early in the year.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: