Be a Football Heret...

Notifications
Clear all

Be a Football Heretic - 5 Ways to Challenge Football Dogma

Page 3 / 4

COACHDT
(@hawk2018)
Copper

Has anyone ever used both 3 point and 2 point stances?  We drew a lot of offsides just getting into the 3 point stance on a hard "shift down!" as a team.  If we switched back and forth I could see drawing even more offsides ... this is the younger ages.  

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

Posted by: @hawk2018

Has anyone ever used both 3 point and 2 point stances?  We drew a lot of offsides just getting into the 3 point stance on a hard "shift down!" as a team.  If we switched back and forth I could see drawing even more offsides ... this is the younger ages.  

If your guys put there hands on the ground and then pick it, you are going to have more trouble with the refs than it's worth. If your center is not touching the ball, you might technically be legal, but I don't see how you explain shifting up and down without admitting that you are trying to deceive the defense into jumping. That is illegal and you will get flagged.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

2) We have been snake bit when it comes to QBs for a very long time. For us, it's a matter of "which QB is going to suck the least". 

Makes the Double Wing awfully attractive, doesn't it? 😉 

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
COACHDT
(@hawk2018)
Copper

@32wedge

We don't pick our hands up after they are down.   We walk up to line and shift down all together fast and hard when the qb says shift down.  When we go warp speed no huddle he yells shift down with more authority and the defense jumps when we shift down hard and fast.  The change of pace with the change of volume gets them to jump.  The cadence doesn't change, just the volume of "shift down".    But if we start the game running 2 point stances, keeping the cadence the same(just not getting in the 3 point stance on shift down).  Then change to actually shifting down into a 3 point stance, I am thinking we would draw more offsides from it.  

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

@32wedge

We don't pick our hands up after they are down.   We walk up to line and shift down all together fast and hard when the qb says shift down.  When we go warp speed no huddle he yells shift down with more authority and the defense jumps when we shift down hard and fast.  The change of pace with the change of volume gets them to jump.  The cadence doesn't change, just the volume of "shift down".    But if we start the game running 2 point stances, keeping the cadence the same(just not getting in the 3 point stance on shift down).  Then change to actually shifting down into a 3 point stance, I am thinking we would draw more offsides from it.  

Our cadence is "Shift/Go/Ready/Hit."  We come to the LOS and our linemen rest their forearms on their thighs in a 2-point stance.  On "Go," our linemen shift to a 3-point stance.  This movement often makes the defense jump offsides.  If we go on "first sound," (which is "Shift" for us), our linemen fire out from their 2-point stance.  We will often run an entire possession from "first sound," which makes it even more difficult on the defense when we go back to full cadence (3-point stance).

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

rpatric and 32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We don't pick our hands up after they are down.  

I hope not.  That's a penalty.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
COACHDT
(@hawk2018)
Copper

@coachdp

That's exactly what I was thinking about trying. 

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

@32wedge

If we switched back and forth I could see drawing even more offsides

We don't pick our hands up after they are down.  

I might have misunderstood what you were saying but it seemed like you were suggesting shifting from 3 pt to 2 pt and vice versa.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

Posted by: @coachdp

@32wedge

Our cadence is "Shift/Go/Ready/Hit."  We come to the LOS and our linemen rest their forearms on their thighs in a 2-point stance.  On "Go," our linemen shift to a 3-point stance.  This movement often makes the defense jump offsides.  If we go on "first sound," (which is "Shift" for us), our linemen fire out from their 2-point stance.  We will often run an entire possession from "first sound," which makes it even more difficult on the defense when we go back to full cadence (3-point stance).

--Dave

I like that.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Greetings

I'd be interested in how coaches are teaching the 3 pt stance and - for those who use it - the 2 pt stance.

Maybe someone could start this as a separate thread?  I can't seem to figure out how to start a thread...

Thanx

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Greetings

Ah, I found it...  I've started a separate thread on coaching the stance, hoping some will find it profitable.

Thanx

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coyote

Ah, I found it...  I've started a separate thread on coaching the stance, hoping some will find it profitable.

Well tell me where it is, because I can't find much of anything around here anymore.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

Well tell me where it is, because I can't find much of anything around here anymore.

--Dave

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and there is Recent Posts and Unread Posts.  Click on those and you will get a list of the new activity on here.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

--Dave

It's under "general offense"

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold

--Dave

Someone can post a video up to HUDL for you...

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: