Discuss the article here.

Don't cross my path.

Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
September 2, 2020 8:48 am  

Great article.   We've found there is fine line between confidence and hubris.  The best coaches I've had, and have worked with, have been confident folk, who maintained humility.  They remained students. 

"Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall."

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 2, 2020 8:56 am  

I believe that those who aren't humble are far more likely to get beat.  There's something about building a statue of yourself that makes those coaches feel they're impervious to a challenger.  It also serves as a terrible example to their players, as most chest-beating is akin to whistling in the dark.  And unfortunately, there are far more "chest-beaters" in the youth game than at any other level.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
September 2, 2020 10:08 am  

I think the point of this article is both important and irrefutable, however, it almost always falls on deaf ears in the Youth game.

What we usually end up seeing is a whole bunch of insecure meatheads that would rather walk naked, backwards into a corn field then lose to the guy on the other sideline.

It's that very line of thinking that prevents most coaches from seeing things clearly. It's not about beating the other coach. It's about teaching your players how to perform better than his players on a given day. There is no better way to do that than realizing there are tons of resources right at your fingertips if you're willing to search. That of course demands that you put ego aside and concede to the fact that you don't know everything. Unfortunately, that's usually where most coaches jump off.

Some coaches are in it for the right reasons, to teach young men and women how to keep a level head and work through adversity. Such caoches attend clinics, ask questions, find mentors, and most importantly, open their ears.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 2, 2020 2:55 pm  

Hubris always corrupts motivations and actions to some degree.  Now that I'm back in the saddle, I'm starting my 17th season. It's been a long journey from "I'm better than that guy and I'll prove it through my players" to "I want to be better because my players deserve it". In 2010, I tore into a 2nd grader loudly, on the field in front of everyone for committing the sin of getting beat to the outside on a sweep for a TD. At that moment, it was important to me that everyone know we worked on it in practice, but THIS KID ignored my wonderful instructions. 

Monday, right before our first scrimmage, I spoke with a former player (o-line) who is now one of our coaches and was supposed to be coaching the o-line for us. I asked him what the rules were for power blocking and he had no idea. I pointed out that he played for me for 7 seasons, so he should know them by heart. His response: "I was going through the motions the whole time because I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. You taught me how to cut block, so if I was in doubt, I cut the guy".  My honest reaction was "Good to know. It's clear that I'm not a very good coach." Since then, I've been putting thought into how to teach blocking rules and how to periodically check to make sure they stay taught.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 2, 2020 3:17 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Since then, I've been putting thought into how to teach blocking rules and how to periodically check to make sure they stay taught.

Lar, I hope that by "periodically" you mean, "every day."

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 2, 2020 3:39 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

Since then, I've been putting thought into how to teach blocking rules and how to periodically check to make sure they stay taught.

--Dave

I mean every half hour or so.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 3, 2020 11:44 pm  

--Dave

Most of us don't have any practice every day!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 4, 2020 8:45 am  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

--Dave

Most of us don't have any practice every day!

Good catch, Bob.  I should have said, "by 'periodically' you mean, 'every practice.'"

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: