Notifications

The Importance of Humility in Coaching  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum
October 23, 2020 11:42 am  

@coachdp if we get really philosophical: even two people who have the same level of knowledge on a given topic or are at the same skill level of some pursuit, could likely learn something from one another. 

Be a student of life.

I will guarantee, no matter what you are interested in...there is someone you can connect with online who has a mastery of it and they are more than willing to share their knowledge.  This does not mean that the first person you find online who has a mastery of your interest is going to share their knowledge...but if you dig a little, you'll find someone.

Over the years I've made friends with authors, coaches, master metal workers, artists etc.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

CoachDP and Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum
November 12, 2020 10:31 am  

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/if-humble-people-make-the-best-leaders-why-do-we-fall-for-charismatic-narcissists?utm_source=pocket-newtab

If Humble People Make the Best Leaders, Why Do We Fall for Charismatic Narcissists?

People are drawn to those who look and act the romanticized role of the leader. But charismatic leadership can have a dark side.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
AB56
 AB56
(@ab56)
Lurker
November 25, 2020 1:41 am  
Posted by: @coachdp

I believe that those who aren't humble are far more likely to get beat.  There's something about building a statue of yourself that makes those coaches feel they're impervious to a challenger.  It also serves as a terrible example to their players, as most chest-beating is akin to whistling in the dark.  And unfortunately, there are far more "chest-beaters" in the youth game than at any other level.

--Dave

Hey Dave, 

Being a coach and a teacher at my high school, I believe more than ever we need to set an example for our student-athletes who no longer have the ability to showcase what they can do on the field and do so with humility. I think coaches like athletes need to understand that there is a need to play. Still, coaches need to express that there is a good reason they cannot play right now due to the world's state. There needs to be a sense of emotional management where the humility of buying into the idea of why the game cannot humbly help students understand what is going on. Emotion management is essential in coaches mostly as coaches pass on these emotions to their players. "Emotional preparation involves anticipating the emotions one is likely to experience; all basic emotions have functional values" (Botterill and Wilson, 2002), and those values matter most as to how they are portrayed. This is where humility comes into play, as humility is essential when expressing these emotions. I agree, there are far more "chest-beaters" than ever before, and that idea trickles down to their players. I believe humility must be embodied by a person in all emotions and use humility as a guiding source in what they do.

- AB

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: