The Secret of Pass Protection

Discuss the article here.

Don't cross my path.

Topic Tags
jtrent64
(@jtrent64)
Copper
February 18, 2020 5:41 pm  

Really interesting.  I read this as blocking is not that important, just get rid of the ball before the defense can get there.  I do like the importance the author puts on nailing down timing.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
February 19, 2020 7:27 am  

Coach Doug as usual with a great article. I think there is some confusion with the thought that blocking isn't that important. Rather, what Coach Doug is saying it starts with the QB throwing on time. I know he does place a lot importance on blocking.

Here's a great example. A few years back we were throwing Slant/Arrow, our LG slipped & fell. They had an A gap defender totally unblocked. QB threw the ball on time & complete before the rusher got there. Even though there was an unblocked defender, there was still 5 other good blocks(4 OL & the RB) that allowed the play to be a success.

Coach Doug always coaches good football across the board. He would never say blocking isn't important, rather a QB getting sacked may not be the fault of the OLine but the QB didn't throw on time.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
February 19, 2020 7:43 am  

So much of the passing game at the youth level is predicated on making things as simple and quick as possible.  As Doug and Joe elude to 90% of it is getting set and throwing quickly.  Essentially it means no more than a 3 step drop and a lot of semi Rolls.  Slide protection is the Bee's Knee's at our level.  

What is most important is to remember: In order for your passing game to be successful, you need to work it every day.  You need to insist on Great Routes, Proper Slide,  and learning how to "throw folks open".  

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
February 19, 2020 2:41 pm  

I coached 8th graders last season.  We passed the ball about 200 times on the season.  Zero sacks except for an errant shotgun snap.  The qb got the ball out in under two seconds most of the time.  He wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he damn well got the ball out of his hand!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 23, 2020 9:03 pm  

In regards to the sack, the most common mistake I see (from youth to high school) is Quarterbacks not staying inside of the pocket.  They decide to roll out or spin out of the pocket and get hit and/or sacked.  Then the offensive line gets blamed for not blocking.  QBs do not have free reign in regards to passing from their backfield.  They have to understand where their protection is, and then use it.  Running all over the field may "extend" the play, but it might also get them crushed.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
February 24, 2020 10:14 am  

@coachdp

If the QB is jumping out of the pocket then he isn't throwing on time. I even see this on boots, the QB will hold the ball longer then needed. I think this probably a universal problem, more than just youth.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Share: