(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 18, 2019 5:59 am  

Will be in Washington on Jan. 13-14.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 23, 2019 12:16 pm  

Flying in Sunday night, January 12.  Flying out Tuesday night, January 14.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 12, 2020 11:05 am  

Leaving here today at 4pm.  Will land in DC around 6.  Meeting Coach Ryan Patrick tomorrow at noon at the District Tap House.  Anyone else is welcome to join us.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 24, 2020 9:36 am  

So I met up with forum member Ryan Patrick while I was in D.C.  He bought lunch, and then we spent the next six hours talking football.  He’s a Single Winger and I have been able to since hook him up with a SW friend of mind, so I think the meeting was productive.  Ryan’s going into his third year of coaching and has a great passion for teaching football.  He wants to be good at it and is committed to climbing that mountain.  In the meantime, he’s dealing with all the challenges of coaching ball at the youth level.  I enjoyed our meeting.  It was time well spent.

—Dave

#BattleReady newhope

Bill03, MHcoach, Lunchbox and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
January 26, 2020 12:07 pm  

Sitting and talking shop with Coach Potter was awesome! He was extremely helpful and insightful. It's one thing to post back and forth or have phone conversations with someone. Once i was able to sit face to face with Coach it only took a few minutes to see that he has "it". Not really sure what "it" is, but it's undeniable. This man is a leader and a great teacher.

The friend he linked me up with is cut from a similar cloth, he has been extremely insightful as well. I will be sending him practice film of our SW which he has graciously offered to troubleshoot.

This forum is a magical place for coaches who really want to learn!

Thanks again Coach Potter. I feel blessed. Something beyond me led me here!

Ryan

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 26, 2020 2:21 pm  

Ryan, I think you hit it on the head when you said, "This forum is a magical place for coaches who really want to learn!"  I think a coach's success is determined primarily by how badly he wants to learn.  I've never aspired to be a guru, expert or clinician.  I just wanted my own team to be successful.  And I wanted that with a passion.  So much so that I was willing to travel and go anywhere to learn.  

There are two types of coaches:  Those who win.  And those who make excuses as to why they don't.  (Actually, there's a third type; the one who loses but accepts the responsibility as his own.  But those coaches are rare as hen's teeth.)  If you are determined to be the type that's successful (and that measuring stick is left up to you; not to somebody else), then success is accessible.  I was determined to put everything I could into it.

Unfortunately, teaching the game is often left up to those whose M.I.I. (Machismo Insecurity Index) has gone unchecked.   They lead through puffery and immaturity hoping that those around them can't see that the emperor really isn't wearing any clothes.  They'd rather engage in pissing contests and "payback" for next year, instead of just teaching the game to the best of their ability.  It's no surprise that their own lack of leadership and displays of immaturity are then passed down to their own team.

The youth game is going by way of the dinosaur primary because of the way it's taught.  The caveman-approach is still alive and well.   Hopefully, you can do something about that, Ryan.  Sooner or later, the game is going to be left entirely in your hands.  

I hope that we'll have the opportunity to meet in D.C. again.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
lobwedge
(@lobwedge)
Copper
Head Coach
January 27, 2020 7:55 pm  

Coach Potter, I would have loved to sit down with you for a bit. If you ever get up this way again, I'm in. 

ReplyQuote
Share: