Single Wing Conclav...

Notifications
Clear all

Single Wing Conclave

Page 2 / 5

rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

BTW, don't forget Dave! GOD blocking doesn't work and can't possibly be comprehended by children! It's too complicated to teach them!

LMAO!!!

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Thats too bad. I have never been but when I first discovered the value of Internet Coaches, one of them sent me about 6 hours of tape from the 2000 Conclave presentations. '

It was....pure gold. 

You guys should let Todd know. Maybe its turned into your grandmas Bridge Club and they dont even know it? 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @coachdp

but instead what I got was 90-minute announcements that focused on the presenter's background, how many games he's won, war stories of his season, how many IEP kids were on his team, how small his players were, how dumb they were, how undermanned he was yet still was able to overcome...

--Dave

Drives me crazy. Not naming names or book titles, but a manual I just found while cleaning was just like that. Small paragraph on technique and coaching points followed by 3 pages of "We did this in aught-nine against the mighty Warriors Gold and scored 30 points in a half despite our kids having fragile bones due to the milk shortage in our county . . . blah blah blah"

Dude . . . I already bought the book/paid for the clinic. I'm in. Stop selling after the close.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rpatric

That was not even close to the same thing as the ND box. Call it Triple Spin Box or something. I really would have liked to have some sort of power point on the Series, it was very deceptive, but from the presentation there is just no way I could run it.

He spoke more about his coaching staff and their relationships with each other than about his Box series.  In a 90-minute+ presentation, it seemed the Box series was saved until the last 15 minutes of his clinic.  And even then, it seemed to be a cursory glance/run-thru.

I've heard that Vince Lombardi spoke at a clinic for 8 hours about his Power Sweep.  I don't know if that's true, but it does show that Coach Lombardi was willing to go into great depth about a single PLAY.  

I had a coach call me last month to discuss Wedge.  I talked about it for 2 hours and the first hour had nothing to do with how we blocked it.  I went through Wedge philosophies, backfield action, types of Fullbacks needed to run it, off-setting the Fullback and the advantages of doing so.  That took an hour before talking about the physical aspect of blocking it, hand positioning, footwork, and drills.

Perhaps I was expecting too much.  But I attended 10 or 12 Double Wing Symposiums and got to listen to Jack Gregory speak and watch him teach.  When a coach like that not only tells you how, shows you how, but TEACHES you how...well, you get spoiled.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

BTW, don't forget Dave! GOD blocking doesn't work and can't possibly be comprehended by children! It's too complicated to teach them!

During another presentation, a coach said he taught his player to use a "popcorn block" and when a coach from the audience asked him why he called it a "popcorn block," he said he didn't know.  He shrugged saying, "The guy that taught it to me called it that." 🤔 

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mahonz

You guys should let Todd know. Maybe its turned into your grandmas Bridge Club and they dont even know it? 

Perhaps.  But I doubt it.  He responded very enthusiastically about each of the presentations.

During the presentation on the youth Wedge (where 10-year-olds evidently can't learn to rule block 😏), one of the coaches from the audience spoke up and challenged his comment that using a forearm doesn't work.  And about that time, six coaches got up and walked out of the presentation.  I'd never seen that happen before.

Here's the thing...when coaches ask me if the Glazier clinic is good, or if the Nike clinic is good, or if the USA Football clinic is good...it's always a mixed bag.  Clinics are only as good as the presenters who are presenting.  I've seen well-known coaches who were huge disappointments, and unknown coaches who gave great presentations.  Some are good and some are bad and it changes yearly.  I'm sure the SW Conclave has had great clinics and presentations in the past.  I just found this one to be a great disappointment.  

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

followed by 3 pages of "We did this in aught-nine against the mighty Warriors Gold and scored 30 points in a half despite our kids having fragile bones due to the milk shortage in our county . . . blah blah blah"

Yes, that's it exactly.  You must've been there.

Anyhoos, PM me the name of the book, if you don't mind. Lar.  I want to know what to stay away from.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Definitely didn't get much I could use at my level.

Which is nuts because when they asked how many youth coaches were in attendance, it seemed to be about 2/3s.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

@coachdp

PLEASE don't title your presentation Notre Dame Box! That was not even close to the same thing as the ND box. Call it Triple Spin Box or something.

Ah, Tulsa box then.  I wasn't there, but wonder whether the presenter was genuinely confused about what the ND box is.

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

@coachdp

The crazy thing is, with all those coaches there i still ended up getting more help from guys like Nathan and Clint who have been helping me all along. Don't misunderstand me. Those guys are solid gold to me, but i was really hoping to learn from some other coaches as well.

It was great to hang out with all you guys, and it was an honor to basically get a 2 hour personal clinic from Coach Cottrill! That guy is awesome! 

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @mahonz

Thats too bad. I have never been but when I first discovered the value of Internet Coaches, one of them sent me about 6 hours of tape from the 2000 Conclave presentations. '

It was....pure gold. 

That sort of thing does happen.  A group slowly runs out of material, doesn't want to keep tapping the same presenters, and then a self-accelerating drift process takes hold.

I've noticed on Delphi's single wing, etc. forum that there used to be more discussion of stuff that'd been presented at the conclave.  Now I understand why.

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

@bob-goodman

Yes, i believe Nathan pointed out that it was Tulsa box. It was a neat series and i really liked what i saw. Problem was all i was shown was the basic backfield action for 1 play and how good they were at running it. 

No blocking schemes and no ideas on when and how to work it in.

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

@coachdp I feel like I could've given a much more informative youth based single wing presentation than their youth coach did. I sure as hell can teach rule blocking to kids. That's a fact!

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

Gimme a coach like Clint up there. Explain what you did to take a group of 20 kids with 9 legit MPPs and get to a Conference title game! That helps a guy like me. I don't need to win a class 3A state championship. Gimme the recipe to put people in the slaughter rule with a group of basic kids. All day Coach, and twice on Sunday

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @coachdp
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

followed by 3 pages of "We did this in aught-nine against the mighty Warriors Gold and scored 30 points in a half despite our kids having fragile bones due to the milk shortage in our county . . . blah blah blah"

Yes, that's it exactly.  You must've been there.

Anyhoos, PM me the name of the book, if you don't mind. Lar.  I want to know what to stay away from.

--Dave

The author's name rhymes with "Don C Treed". The defense rhymes with "SPAM". The title rhymes with "Spinning Booth Footfall Myth Tree Fence".

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

bigshel liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5
Share: