Starting an O-Line Clinic - Looking for Advice  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

coachdude
(@coachdude)
Copper
May 14, 2017 1:25 pm  

Coaches,

I want to start a summer O-Line Clinic for players in my area. Ages 9 to 14. Maybe two weeks long over the summer before the start of organized football in my area. Basics, fundamentals, etc. I started coaching as an o-line coach - know the subject matter well, just never tried to put on a clinic of any sort.

Getting the idea from Lacrosse coaches in my area, they put on 2 week clinics, charge $100 a head, and get pretty good turn out. I was thinking more like $50/ head, 3 or 4 days per week, two weeks, 90 minutes each session.

Anybody have experience, advice, sage wisdon, or ideas on putting something like this on?

Thank you all in advance!

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
May 14, 2017 1:49 pm  

I was thinking more like $50/ head, 3 or 4 days per week, two weeks, 90 minutes each session.

Anybody have experience, advice, sage wisdon, or ideas on putting something like this on?

I could be wrong, but...it sounds like you have no experience in putting on a clinic.  If so, you have no business charging $50 a head.  If I were paying you $50 for you to coach my kid/player for only 6-8 sessions, I would expect you to have some expertise in this area.  No way you should charge a dime if you have no idea what you're doing.  Just my 2 cents.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold
Head Coach
May 15, 2017 4:20 am  

Couldn't of said it better DP.

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver
May 15, 2017 4:40 am  

The middle ground would be, if you want to run a clinic(and learn from it), run a day clinic for free.

you'll learn a lot from it, figure out areas where you are coming up short(keeping it fun, keeping it moving, what to focus on, what you need for materials etc etc).

you'll probably be doing  several of these before you make the jump to paid clinic.

Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
May 15, 2017 4:54 am  

The middle ground would be, if you want to run a clinic(and learn from it), run a day clinic for free.

you'll learn a lot from it, figure out areas where you are coming up short(keeping it fun, keeping it moving, what to focus on, what you need for materials etc etc).

you'll probably be doing  several of these before you make the jump to paid clinic.

Jon, absolutely.  When we started offering clinics, we had to see what worked and didn't work.  How much time it took.  What sort of prep was in order.  After a while, we got pretty efficient at it, but in the beginning we were figuring it out as we went.  Nothing wrong with that, but we weren't charging parents money while we figured it out.

If the $50 a head is to cover insurance, then that's one thing.  But if this is supposed to be a money-making venture, then no.  Get good at it first.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
May 15, 2017 5:05 am  

I started coaching as an o-line coach - know the subject matter well

Coachdude, with your experience in coaching the offensive line, what sort of teaching do you think would be most valuable in only 6-8 sessions?

How much help would you have?  Coaching youth o-line is a busying experience for any coach.  Coaching O-Line requires so much individual attention and based on your experiences, what do you think your coach/players ratio should be?  I've coached o-line for years and is the one coaching area that I have spent the most time with.  But I wouldn't want to work with more than two players at once.

Michael would probably be one to ask here.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver
May 15, 2017 7:17 am  

I must second DPs assertion-

coaching O Line is a lot different than coaching youth o line.

it'd be the difference between teaching a kid to run and teaching a baby to crawl.

you have coach absolutely everything.

honestly, stance and take off alone could be a strong hour. 

and you CANNOT line up 7 youth kids, demonstrate it and then expect them to execute it.  you will have to do a lot of hands on(literally-i often have to put my hands on the guys to get them into their stances properly), and then guess what?

two reps later, some of them will be back to their old habits.

thus the important question: coach to player ratio.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
May 15, 2017 8:54 am  

I was thinking more like $50/ head, 3 or 4 days per week, two weeks, 90 minutes each session.

Who is getting paid here?  Just yourself?  Your coaching staff?  What are the expenses?  What do players receive?  A water bottle, shirt, towel?  And how do you arrive at "$50/head?" What is the business plan here?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
May 15, 2017 9:50 am  

Who is getting paid here?  Just yourself?  Your coaching staff?  What are the expenses?  What do players receive?  And how do you arrive at "$50/head?" What is the business plan here?

--Dave

I'm not sure how much of a draw there is in your area for this sort of thing...especially it being specialized for offensive line (which narrows down your potential participants substantially).
In my area, participation in PAID youth football camps is pretty abysmal.  We've had former NFL players onsite and we've lost money on the events.  We've held our own camps during the off-season on indoor turf and broke even.  We hold weekly free clinics and have about 20-25 kids come out, these are the kids that aren't playing baseball or lacrosse right now.  One of the local high schools that won the state championship last year held a clinic for a few hours last Friday for 7th and 8th graders and had 26 kids out.

Most of the "camps" that I've seen, are worthless.  The kids don't leave the camps as better football players...and sometimes they are being taught things that aren't age appropriate or inline with what I would want taught to my players.  In fact, when some of the NFL guys came down they were teaching the kids some crap that I never would...as soon as they left a bunch of the kids started asking how they should be doing stuff and I told them to forget everything they learned from the NFL guys.

You want to put on a useful camp?  Find someone on this forum and have them come in to train your coaches and work with your kids...don't expect to make money but do expect to learn.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
May 15, 2017 9:55 am  

don't expect to make money but do expect to learn.

And I guess you have to know what your motivation is.  Are you trying to make money, or are you trying to attract offensive linemen?  I wonder if you'd attract more if it were free.  Of course, you may not have enough coaches to handle the numbers.  The more you charge, the more you can keep numbers to a good coach/player ratio.  As I posted earlier, my pref would be to work on a 2/1 ratio. 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold
Head Coach
May 15, 2017 10:59 am  

I would like to see your you 1st sessions plan segment buy segment from warm up's to progression's with all the detail's ?

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver
May 15, 2017 1:07 pm  

My son went to a patriots camp-4 night sleep over-the last two years.

other than a massive hole in the pocket, i saw zero-that's absolutely zero results from this.

when he got home, we went to a field to run a little the day after the camp and i asked him-both years-to show/tell me something he learned.  he looked at me like i had two heads.

he did get a few autographs and a T shirt though.  so...

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
May 16, 2017 9:14 am  

My son went to a patriots camp-4 night sleep over-the last two years.

other than a massive hole in the pocket, i saw zero-that's absolutely zero results from this.

when he got home, we went to a field to run a little the day after the camp and i asked him-both years-to show/tell me something he learned.  he looked at me like i had two heads.

he did get a few autographs and a T shirt though.  so...

Because those camps are more for entertainment than they are for player development...but you know that.  ;D ;D

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver
May 16, 2017 11:44 am  

i know it coach.  but i'd liked to have him learn SOMETHING!

i mean, they had 3 practices a day!

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
May 16, 2017 12:54 pm  

The draw will suck because every youth football player has dreams of running with the ball, not blocking for that guy. Everybody, especially mom and dad, think little Timmy is going to be the next star Manning or Payton.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: