Notifications
Clear all

10U Offensive Install, Season Progress Report

Page 1 / 3

CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

I'm going to use this thread to track my progress in installing Joe's Offense for my 10u team.

A little background.  Our team is a combined 9/10u group.  We play in a small town league just outside the OKC metro area.  8 towns, each town has a single team in 6u, 8u, 10u, 12u.  No tryouts, no cuts.  We play on our HS fields on Saturday mornings.

We have 30 kids.  2/3 have played before, most with multiple season.  This team has previously ran the UBSW for 2 seasons, and Mahonz's Wide Splits Power I for a season, along with some Beast sprinkled in.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

Week 1:  3 Practices, No Pads

We spent the first 2 days doing evaluation and competition drills.  On Thursday we broke up into position groups.  QB/RB, WR, OL

I spent my time with the OL, we installed Zone R/L.  I am calling it 24 Zone and 23 Zone.  Due to the distribution of talent, age, intelligence on my OL, I decide to have my OG call the combo instead of the OT.  I really like my GCG combo for my OL, three smart, competitive, athletic kids I can count on. 

I decided to install out of the Pistol.  I feel it gives us the best combination of down hill run along with quick passing.

The kid I had penciled in at QB, who was fantastic during summer 7 on 7 has shown his weakness.  Kid has severe anxiety in the pocket.  Like to the point that if he can't throw it in the first 1/2 second, he'll tuck and run.  He's a great athlete so he'll make plays, but it'll limit our O. 

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

Week 2:  Three 2-hour practices, Full Pads

Installed 28/27 Stretch.  I again worked with the OL.  One minor (HUGE) difference from my OL group I loved from last week.  I opened up the QB competition on the kid I had at LG is currently in now getting reps and doing very well at QB.  The RG is on vacation with his family for the week before school and his big brother going to college.  So we had to review, re-teach Zone.  The next-ups at guard aren't quite the coache's dream....  LOL

Regardless, we have installed 23/24 Zone, 27/28 Stretch, and Slide L/R for Pass Pro.  The kids are doing OK.  But I'm finding out that while I have lineman, I don't have as many OL as I want.  Lots of work ahead for me in making sure I have 5 kids up front that get pissed when the get beat by a DL.

Bubble Screen Left to Z is killer awesome.  Also installed Naked Right, we can hit the slam with consistency.

H-Back is locked in.  Kid is a solid FB type with great hands, and excellent blocker.

Z - Got a couple kids in play at Z, best one is currently working at QB.

X/Y - Got lots of options.  5-6 kids who are willing and active blockers and can catch.  The two best are waiting on other dominoes to fall at QB and TB.

TB - 2 Kids really in the running with a 3rd that will get time back there.

QB competition is still a 3 horse Race. 
QB-A - Presumed starter.  Perfect athletic attributes for the position.  But he freaks out when it's a pass play.  Can throw the screen OK, but even on a well protected naked, he tucks and runs.  Will turn 4/5 pass plays in a run.  Kid is a OLB/S type on D.
QB-B - Kid was pegged as my RG.  Big Tall calm kid, doesn't get rattled much.  Very intelligent.  No experience in the backfield.  Has progressed very well in the 2 practices he's worked at QB.  Solid arm, not as fast or athletic as the other two.  Would make a good downhill runner.
QB-C - Smaller framed kid.  Excellent athlete.  Super speed.  Good arm.  No experience back there.  Did well with the work he put in yesterday.  Best kid with his consistancy in cadence and handoffs.  Throws are good.  Kid will be a A+ at Z-back also.

We are going to keep it open until next weekend.  We have a round robin scrimmage set up where we'll get two 20 min OFF sessions.  We'll give as equal time as possible.  Then I'll just need to name a QB1 and get the other kids into their other spots.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

K

I love the progress reports.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

Week 3 and most of Week 4:

I don't think we are getting the detailed coaching we need.  We have 4 coaches spread out with 32 players.  With 2 of us working with the OL, and doing offensive Indy's and Group 2 days a week, we are still way to sloppy.  Of course I always feel like that.

We played in a round robin over the weekend.  Played two 20 minutes session against two select 10u teams out of the OKC area.  First team dominated us physically and athletically.  We were able to move the ball in spurts with Bubble Screen and some Zone.  Round 2, we did better.  Scored twice, once on a 35 yard Bubble Screen to the Z.  The 2nd time we drove it down the field with the run, then punched it in with a Smoke Screen from the 1.

We've installed in Run game: Power R, Counter L, Zone L/R, Stretch L/R.
Passing Game:  Bubble L/R, Smoke L/R, Naked R, and Naked L.

QB is doing fine with handoffs, and is progressing well throwing screens.  Naked is OK, hitting the slam well.  Not seeing the drag very much.

Found my TB and a very solid #2. 

Still have a ton of work to do with the OL.  Need to spend more time on blocking technique now that we have most of our schemes installed.  Need a couple of kids to step up and take some ownership.  Need to be a better coach!!

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

K

Please install the G plays to H & Z, at your age they are extremely important. Call me if you need me to walk you through them.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

K

Please install the G plays to H & Z, at your age they are extremely important. Call me if you need me to walk you through them.

Joe

Next on my list.  Although I had them as Stretch blocking.  Would G blocking be better? 

Tonight's practice was better, I spent a lot of time with the OL.  Got them on their knees working punch, then worked from stance on a pad, then worked it in combo drills.  Had a much better practice.

Ended practice on a double pancake of the 3-tech and LB behind him on a 24 Zone play in Team O.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

K

37 & 48 G are needed at the Youth level. Simply put it's more tools for the tool box. The big thing is it will give you an answer for teams crashing to first flow.

Yes, you can Stretch block it, but it works much better with the G Scheme. Early on the puller will run around the edge & whiff, that's ok by Mid Season he will be crushing people.

Joe

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

I'll get it installed on Monday.  Thanks coach!

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

Week 5 and League Round Robin Scrimmage:

We installed G blocking this week.  Running 26 G, 16 G Lead, then we also added 37 G and 48 G both of them were really good in both practice and our scrimmage.  Real good way of getting our Z and H back the ball in space with a little mis-direction for the backers.

Round Robin was tough, we scrimmaged in little league outfields.  So our field was 25 yards wide at best.  We didn't throw any screens, or even Naked.  Just too Narrow.  The WR's were only 4 yards outside the H/Z backs.  Allowed us to work extensively on our run game and blocking. 

Really excited to see this offense in two weeks for game one on a real field.

My TB continues to progress and is running confident and fast.  My #2 TB is really a 1B and is also rotating in at H-back.  If i didn't want to rotate him in at TB, he'd have won the HB job in a landslide.

QB is doing much better.  Still not very confident throwing, but we are making progress.  We need to do some work on pass blocking.  Been focusing in on run blocking mostly. 

Team is progressing well.  I've got 7 OL that are working in regularly.

Gonna be a long wait until 9/10 when we finally get to put all of it together on a field!!

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

Finally decided to go full wristband No-Huddle.

Going to use cards to show formations.  Only H and Z are really only ones effected at this point with our formationing.

I'll have QB, Backs, WRs look to sideline for play call.  The QB will then repeat the code word to the OL twice, before backing up and reading the play call for himself.  That'll allow the OL to focus on getting lined up and just listening for QB.  And keep my QB from rushing as much.

My code word grid is colors and states.

Blue Hawaii and Red Oklahoma for example both equal 24 Zone.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

Game 1:  Win 48-6.

Statlines:

Rushing:
36 Carries, 414 yards, 5 TDs
Starting TB:  17 carries, 291 yards, 5 TDs

Passing:
7/14,  51 Yards, 2 TDs

Defense:
15 Plays, -17 Rush Yards, No Passes, 2 Fumble Recoveries

The offense shined on Saturday.  We only hit on 1 of 4 deep throws, other passes were screens.  Even after watching film, the kids executed at a very high level for only being 9/10 year olds.  OL blocked well, good execution on our pulls and stretch blocking.  7 deep on the OL with starter level kids. 

We ran everything off no huddle wristbands.  Had a kid holding formation cards, and I called in plays via codeword.  Looked and operated dang professional.

Really excited about our execution with everything I've forced them to learn over the past several weeks.  We will only get better. 

Looking to add PAW and Slants/Arrows this week to extend the passing game some.  Only had Naked L/R, all go's, bubble, and smoke for game 1.

Joe,  THANK YOU!!!

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

K

Awesome! Congratulations, I guess the phone calls helped too. I am here if you need anymore.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

Great stats!  Especially for game 1!

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

Game 2:  Won 32-6

Offense still humming.  Not near as many yards due to pulling my #1's a bit earlier, and playing a quality opponent.  First series we went Power, Zone, then Bubble Left for the TD.  We are still struggling to hit the deep throws, but Bubbles and Smokes are very effective.  TB1 is still outstanding and frequently makes things out of nothing.  My H-Back has become my Power back as a sub at TB.  He is actually young enough to play down an age.  He is a fantastic down hill runner.  We can run 22 power and he'll get me 3 yards when i need 1 every time.

Installed a 37G left reverse.  Looked good in practice, but opponent was in a WT6, and we couldn't get a could block on the backside DE for some reason.  Lazy on my QB.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: