Notifications
Clear all

Basic fundamentals

Page 1 / 3

Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Joe I've noticed in a lot of threads you mention nobody ask on how to get in a proper 3 point stance, so I'm asking how you teach it? Can you also describe how you teach the lineman to get on his fit?
  You also mention it's all about blocking and tackling which I totally agree with, can you describe the tackling technique you guys use and maybe how you guys go about teaching it?

Do you guys go full contact a lot in practice? Would you describe your practices as physical?

Thanks for any help.

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

HP

This last season our practices were way to physical, full pads every day. This is at the HS level. At the Youth level we practiced quite a bit in shells. You can still be physical in shells.

Here is a brief primer on a proper 3 point stance:

Foot stagger Toe to instep dominant(down hand) foot staggered

Foot width under the arm pits never wider than the shoulders. This is often the most common mistake feet are either too wide or too narrow.

Every joint needs a bend Ankles, Knees, Waist, shoulders & neck.

Toes need to be pointing straight downfield. It's better to be pigeon toed than duck footed. pigeon toed will be straight when hand is down.

Down hand needs to be extended in front of head not too far with light weight.

Knees must be outward never crooked inside.

Back should flat  this means butt down.

That is a quick primer I'm sure it will raise questions.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

Joe was kind enough to do a fundamentals clinic on blocking and tackling for my old org a few years back.

The blocking one is here:

I have the tackling one as well but I think Joe is using a different progression these days so I'll hold off on posting it for now.

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Matt your link says it's private and needs a password.

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

Matt your link says it's private and needs a password.

Sorry about that, it should be fixed now.

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Thanks for the video Matt. Joe I read somewhere in one of the threads that your blocking techniques similar to Cisar's and this video confirms that. I've run Dave's stuff so luckily I am very familiar with it  as I've taught it that way for several years. I guess I should say the footwork ork is similar and pad level.

Thanks for sharing.

Do you practice tackling everyday and do you use drills to take them all the way to the ground often and what would you recommend?

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

I have heard the term " grab grass with your toes", supposed to get your heel and toes at perfect balance.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze

I teach more weight on the down hand-at least 50%

When you pull that down arm the lineman should fall down.

I understand others teach differently, but I believe that with more weight on the down hand it increases a kids chance to fire low as opposed to standing up, to fire out faster and to attack rather than "catch the the defender".

Coaches are also able to identify bad stances more easily during a practice so that you can constantly coach kids up-which we do from the first practice to the last.

We also go on first sound and move fast into a stance once the play is in so that our lineman do not fatigue.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

I have heard the term " grab grass with your toes", supposed to get your heel and toes at perfect balance.

A

That is a great description I have heard that too. We teach our guys heels slightly raised, imagine just a credit card high.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

There are a few things I didn't get too.

First is the off arm. The chicken wing is a major fault. This is when a player places his palm on his high & the off arm elbow points up like a chicken wing. We teach forearm across the thigh palm towards the navel.

Please remember this is the basic O Line stance, we use 3 or 4 variations off this for different positions. This is the first one we teach everyone then progress to position specific stances.

Next, & extremely important the shoulders be flat. One fault I often see is the shoulder of the down hand is lower than the off shoulder.

Let's keep the questions & comments coming.

Joe

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

This last season our practices were way to physical, full pads every day. This is at the HS level.

Joe, we had plenty of "light" days where we still wore full pads.  When you say "physical," does that mean you were hitting a lot?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Joe, we had plenty of "light" days where we still wore full pads.  When you say "physical," does that mean you were hitting a lot?

--Dave

DP

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tooooooooooooooo much! Indie time was too limited, & scrimmage too much. It reminded me of a bad Pop Warner team. Now, there was circumstances for this, & it's something we all recognized. It will be drastically different this season.

Joe

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

--Dave

I like feet, knees and shoulders all to align if possible creating the Z in the legs. If you stress getting the pads close to the knees the whole frog squat so common in youth goes away. The butt in the air is from not streesing that Z in the leg and is just as bad as the frog squat. Joe and I were just talking about stance today so this is a nice coincidence. One thing I think needs to be pointed out is that different body types may not allow kids to get into what you may think is a perfect stance. Flexibility is another hinderance.

My thought on weight distribution is it should change based on what you are doing. Pullers should not have weight forward for example(as this is a fundies thread I would live to talk pulling as well) Too much weight back forces you to reshift the weight before you can step. And never load the foot that you step first with(obvious I know but this is something I correct regularly in kids).

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

DP

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tooooooooooooooo much! Indie time was too limited, & scrimmage too much. It reminded me of a bad Pop Warner team. Now, there was circumstances for this, & it's something we all recognized. It will be drastically different this season.

Joe

Heeeeyyyyyyy! Why not a bad AYF practice?! 😛

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: