Notifications
Clear all

Bubble and Smoke Screens

Page 2 / 2

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

The fear of throwing Bubble UTC is that it can be a lateral & if the WR misses the ball it's live. That;s the reason almost all of my clips are shown from the gun. Smoke tends to be safer UTC, even if it's backwards when the WR misses it goes out of bounds.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
ThunderFootball
(@thunderfootball)
Bronze

Thanks  coach.  I was kinda on the correct path of understanding.  Terminology differences is what threw me for a loop.  I've read your ppt. obviously I need to check it over again.  ;D

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum

Joe

In the ppt you have
Bubble which is of course bubble
Rocket which is described as 1 step forward two steps back and the WR is coming back in
Smoke which there is just a still but appears to be just turn and show your numbers.

In this thread smoke appears to be described like rocket. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong. Do you really need both smoke and rocket?

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

J

Oh yes, two very different plays with different timing. Smoke & Bubble are thrown as fast as humanly possible. Smoke the receiver is taking 2 steps forward & 2 steps back. Sometimes(depending on the receiver it maybe 1 step forward & 2 back) we play with the receivers timing.Rocket is also called Tunnel, here it's all about letting the play develop. If we are throwing Rocket Left, the QB will look right then turn & throw. This needs to be a touch pass, we teach our QB's to think taking a jump shot over the DE. The receiver jabs forward then angles towards the QB.

I wish I could post the Spring game highlight we scored on Rocket but we are running it slightly different. We fake outside Zone opposite then turn & throw. We had 5 Olinemen to block 1 safety.

Joe

Our receiver posted it on Maxpreps, it's his second td.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/khaalis-lucas/pXJk-FNOEeS00gAmVebEWg/videos.htm

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum

We never ran bubble because it was a pita to get right. We only really used the TFS now screens 41, 42, 51, 52, etc. We ran it with similar footwork as rocket but it was a catch and throw. We did also run it off of jet action and sprint out. We never ran jaolbreak which what I call that second TD or more stationary type stuff.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

J

Running Bubble at the Youth level was always a challenge until I started using the Backpedal method. Now at the HS level we only use that method as part of an RPO. We call this the package. Coaching Youth it makes life simple, the only major coaching point is to have the receiver get width never depth.

Jailbreak, Tunnel, Rocket are all the same.

Joe

ReplyQuote
ThunderFootball
(@thunderfootball)
Bronze

On the rocket screen for a TD the #2 receiver takes a step or two up then out for the block on the CB. Is he allowed to make contact before the ball leaves the QB's hand?

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum

The ball is caught behind the LOS so you can block before, during and after the ball is thrown.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

T

Morris has it right. We call that Push Out, vs say Push Crack. Those 2 steps help set up the blocks.

Joe

ReplyQuote
ThunderFootball
(@thunderfootball)
Bronze

Ok. Must be the angle bc it looked like the wr was over the los when he caught the ball.  Thanks.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

T

The ball is on the 30 & 1/2 he catches the ball on the 31, so he is behind the line. Now, we do play fast & loose with the LOS. Usually the refs will give you a yard or two.

Joe

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

Joe

In the ppt you have
Bubble which is of course bubble
Rocket which is described as 1 step forward two steps back and the WR is coming back in
Smoke which there is just a still but appears to be just turn and show your numbers.

In this thread smoke appears to be described like rocket. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong. Do you really need both smoke and rocket?

First play on the link below is Rocket, second is Smoke. Another good look at the blocking and timing on Rocket at 3:53 (we left the line in on that one, our LT was too slow to help out there).

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Matt

Thanks for posting!

Joe

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: