Notifications
Clear all

Gonna be interesting...

Page 1 / 3

CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

Well I had it all figured out......Moving up to 10u's this year.  Been studying Joe's stuff and was gearing up to start with 7on7 practices in June to help get the kids up to speed before practice starts in August. 

Then I get a phone call, and it's the HC of the Varsity Football team.  I've been asked to join the JH football coaching staff, and also help as a "get back" coach for Varsity.  Luckily they practice during 1st hour, so in the mornings I'll coach JH, and in the evening's I'll coach my 10u squad.  Only schedule conflict will be missing one 10u practice a week for JH games.

The real conflict:  scheme?  I got to figure out what the hell their gonna want me to run in JH, and figure out a way to mask Joe's scheme into it!!  My biggest concern, is I'm fairly certain they run a gap blocking scheme.  🙁  If I can manage to get control of the offense for the JH even if I'm running the HS scheme, I don't see myself running a totally different scheme with my 10u squad.  It'd make too much sense to keep things as similar as possible.

Meet with coach on Thursday afternoon.  Should know alot more about it then.  I know one thing for sure it's gonna be interesting.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

Well I had it all figured out......Moving up to 10u's this year.  Been studying Joe's stuff and was gearing up to start with 7on7 practices in June to help get the kids up to speed before practice starts in August. 

Then I get a phone call, and it's the HC of the Varsity Football team.  I've been asked to join the JH football coaching staff, and also help as a "get back" coach for Varsity.  Luckily they practice during 1st hour, so in the mornings I'll coach JH, and in the evening's I'll coach my 10u squad.  Only schedule conflict will be missing one 10u practice a week for JH games.

The real conflict:  scheme?  I got to figure out what the hell their gonna want me to run in JH, and figure out a way to mask Joe's scheme into it!!  My biggest concern, is I'm fairly certain they run a gap blocking scheme.  🙁  If I can manage to get control of the offense for the JH even if I'm running the HS scheme, I don't see myself running a totally different scheme with my 10u squad.  It'd make too much sense to keep things as similar as possible.

Meet with coach on Thursday afternoon.  Should know alot more about it then.  I know one thing for sure it's gonna be interesting.

What's your end goal? Coaching High School?

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

What's your end goal? Coaching High School?

I'm part in owner in a business with my dad.  So i have quite a bit of flexibility.  Coaching is my passion, but my business is what feeds my family.

My end goal is to either be the HS HC, or be OC for someone that I really respect at the HS level.  But I'm not in a hurry to get there.  I'm self taught as youth coach.  My coaching mentors are people I've met on this forum.  My youth team is 9/10 now, I hope to stay with them through HS, then just stay at the HS level.

Our school's football staff hasn't had much consistency over the years.  I have alot to learn to be an effective coach at that level.  This is the first step.  I'm deeply rooted in our community, and finding consistency for the HS football program would do wonders for our school.  Whether it's me or someone else.  I'm willing to help get us there.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

K

Wow...football 24/7 🙂

Whatever works out you will be in Football Heaven.

Good luck !

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

I'm part in owner in a business with my dad.  So i have quite a bit of flexibility.  Coaching is my passion, but my business is what feeds my family.

My end goal is to either be the HS HC, or be OC for someone that I really respect at the HS level.  But I'm not in a hurry to get there.  I'm self taught as youth coach.  My coaching mentors are people I've met on this forum.  My youth team is 9/10 now, I hope to stay with them through HS, then just stay at the HS level.

Our school's football staff hasn't had much consistency over the years.  I have alot to learn to be an effective coach at that level.  This is the first step.  I'm deeply rooted in our community, and finding consistency for the HS football program would do wonders for our school.  Whether it's me or someone else.  I'm willing to help get us there.

If you don't have time because of your business, that's a legitimate excuse. The reason I don't coach college or high school is that exact reason (and nobody would probably want me!  ;D). The other stuff you wrote sounds a lot like an excuse. Sorry to be so harsh, but you sound intimidated by the opportunity.

My advice is to not put high school coaches on a pedestal. They're no different from anyone else. There are a lot of bad high school teams, and there are good ones. You may find the leap hard, but if your goal is to coach HS then you have to take it, and you're not going to get ready for the next level by coaching at the youth level. I mean, you can get better, but in order to become the HC or OC at a high school then you need to work at a high school. The idea of staying with the same kids all the way until they graduate is a nice idea, but it's a pipe dream. I felt the same way when I left my middle school, but honesty that's just how it goes. You leave teams all of the time.

The better reason to stay is if you have a good thing now and you don't want to ruin it. Sometimes people think they want more, but really they don't appreciate what they have. If you're in with a good staff and you're happy with the amount of time that's required of you and the practice field and the organization president and everything else... then do you really want to be a HC at the high school? It's starting over, and that means new challenges. You may flop your first year and end up as a bag holder the next year. You may find that the political game is different, for example they might value teachers more than coaching experience. You might find that you don't like the HC, and you might not like being told what to do. That's all stuff you have to consider.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Sorry to be so harsh

It's only harsh if he gives a f___ what you think.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum

you have been asked to join the junior high staff, yes? To what extent? what will be your role on JH team?
You mentioned not knowing what the JH runs, perhaps a gap scheme, and you wanted to run similar with your youth team. Are you going to have any say on what the JH runs?

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

you have been asked to join the junior high staff, yes? To what extent? what will be your role on JH team?
You mentioned not knowing what the JH runs, perhaps a gap scheme, and you wanted to run similar with your youth team. Are you going to have any say on what the JH runs?

I'm meeting with the HC on Thursday.  I'll find out what my role is and how much say I'll have in what we run.

I know staying consistent with terms and general philosophy will be more important than exact plays.  If I'm given control of the offense, I want to run what I want to run within the umbrella of their general philosophy if possible.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

It's only harsh if he gives a f___ what you think.

Totally agree bro !!!!!! Couldn't say it any better myself.

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

The better reason to stay is if you have a good thing now and you don't want to ruin it. Sometimes people think they want more, but really they don't appreciate what they have. If you're in with a good staff and you're happy with the amount of time that's required of you and the practice field and the organization president and everything else... then do you really want to be a HC at the high school? It's starting over, and that means new challenges. You may flop your first year and end up as a bag holder the next year. You may find that the political game is different, for example they might value teachers more than coaching experience. You might find that you don't like the HC, and you might not like being told what to do. That's all stuff you have to consider.

Don't worry, won't hurt my precious internet feelings.

I'm in a fairly unique spot.  Small town on the outskirts of OKC.  3a school, about 80 kids per class.  Small community. 

I'm currently the President of the towns All Sports Association.  We rely on the schools facilities for Basketball, Baseball, and Football.  So I'm pretty dialed into the school politics.  I will figure out this fall how the two will mesh.  As the next election is after this football season.

Last year's JH program had one football coach and two other coaches who really knew very little about football but were there to collect their stipend and fill a position.  IMHO there are 3 legit football coaches in JH/HS combined.  The rest are guys who focus on other sports and just help out with football because the school needs them too.

I'm very comfortable where I am with my youth team.  My numbers are swelling.  My team has only lost 4 games over 4 years.  I have enough parents bought in that they keep the others in check.  I've got a dozen kids within my football program that are my family at this point. 

I can honestly say, that even though I haven't coached any of the kids that will be in JH this fall.  A secondary reason that I've been asked to coach is because I've got a solid reputation in our community of being a good coach and making the kids better.  I can get the kids to recruit their friends to come out and play ball.

I might fall flat on my face.  But if I have the opportunity to make myself better and ensure that my community is provided with a better school football experience than the kids are getting now.  Then I'm gonna do what i can do.  If I do fall flat on my face.  I'm gonna get myself up, and get my butt back to work.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

Congratulations on the opportunity!  You will do great

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

Don't worry, won't hurt my precious internet feelings.

I'm in a fairly unique spot.  Small town on the outskirts of OKC.  3a school, about 80 kids per class.  Small community. 

I'm currently the President of the towns All Sports Association.  We rely on the schools facilities for Basketball, Baseball, and Football.  So I'm pretty dialed into the school politics.  I will figure out this fall how the two will mesh.  As the next election is after this football season.

Last year's JH program had one football coach and two other coaches who really knew very little about football but were there to collect their stipend and fill a position.  IMHO there are 3 legit football coaches in JH/HS combined.  The rest are guys who focus on other sports and just help out with football because the school needs them too.

I'm very comfortable where I am with my youth team.  My numbers are swelling.  My team has only lost 4 games over 4 years.  I have enough parents bought in that they keep the others in check.  I've got a dozen kids within my football program that are my family at this point. 

I can honestly say, that even though I haven't coached any of the kids that will be in JH this fall.  A secondary reason that I've been asked to coach is because I've got a solid reputation in our community of being a good coach and making the kids better.  I can get the kids to recruit their friends to come out and play ball.

I might fall flat on my face.  But if I have the opportunity to make myself better and ensure that my community is provided with a better school football experience than the kids are getting now.  Then I'm gonna do what i can do.  If I do fall flat on my face.  I'm gonna get myself up, and get my butt back to work.

Sounds like you're taking it.

ReplyQuote
Coach Smith
(@mpd5123)
Silver

Good Luck coach!!!

check out http://www.coaches-clinic.com/If any thing goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. ~Paul Bear Bryant

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

Met with the HS HC and OC yesterday afternoon.  Oddly enough, the HC was recruiting me more than anything.

There was a major disconnect between JH staff and HS staff last year.  Neither staff had anybody local on staff.  I'm basically gonna be the bridge between Youth, JH, and HS. 

My biggest concern is the lack of effort by the JH HC last season.  No real semblance of an offensive scheme.  No film, no extra work with the kids.  Almost going through the motions.  That won't mesh well with me.

Anyway, I won't be busy this fall.

Head Coach of my 10u team.
Asst Coach (OL and something on D) for the JH team.
"Get Back" coach for Varsity on Fridays.
Oh, and I'm president of the all sports association, and an avid whitetail deer hunter.

My wife seems to think I should give something up....

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Met with the HS HC and OC yesterday afternoon.  Oddly enough, the HC was recruiting me more than anything.

There was a major disconnect between JH staff and HS staff last year.  Neither staff had anybody local on staff.  I'm basically gonna be the bridge between Youth, JH, and HS. 

My biggest concern is the lack of effort by the JH HC last season.  No real semblance of an offensive scheme.  No film, no extra work with the kids.  Almost going through the motions.  That won't mesh well with me.

Anyway, I won't be busy this fall.

Head Coach of my 10u team.
Asst Coach (OL and something on D) for the JH team.
"Get Back" coach for Varsity on Fridays.
Oh, and I'm president of the all sports association, and an avid whitetail deer hunter.

My wife seems to think I should give something up....

I was going to ask what the whitetail deer are avid about, but I'm guessing it's mostly not getting shot.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: