Notifications
Clear all

Oline questions (Coach Joe C system)

coachcoolnoe
(@coachcoolnoe)
Copper
Topic starter  

What are some drills you use to get the Oline to learn their assignments against differ fronts?
What drills do you use to teach combo block to Line?
Are their some EDD`s that you recommend for the Oline?
What are some ways you teach the Oline how to stay low, deliver a powerful punch, make contact on second step, aiming point to near shoulder of defender, where his eyes should be, after PST makes combo call then who makes next call PSG or center or does he just block down?
I know Im asking for alot. Just trying to get my Oline coaches and me and players the info we need. I know how impoetant the Line is in order to be successful.

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

What are some drills you use to get the Oline to learn their assignments against differ fronts?Once we teach our Oline what the combo's are how & why to call them , we will do a recognition drill. We line up a couple of different fronts & want to hear the calls.I have also seen coaches do this drills with a series of cones laid out 5 yards apart, if you have enough cones it's great.

What drills do you use to teach combo block to Line?Combo Drill. Very simple we start with a DL in the Gap & a LB stacked, then will move to head up & stacked right or left. We start with Pop dummies & progress to live bodies.

Are their some EDD`s that you recommend for the Oline?Punch (on their knees) First Step, Second step, We do this for Zone (R & L) & Stretch (R & L).

What are some ways you teach the Oline how to stay low, deliver a powerful punch, make contact on second step, aiming point to near shoulder of defender, where his eyes should be, after PST makes combo call then who makes next call PSG or center or does he just block down? See Above for the drills, we echo the calls down the line.
I know Im asking for alot. Just trying to get my Oline coaches and me and players the info we need. I know how impoetant the Line is in order to be successful.

Coach

IMHO you can not win without a well coached O Line. We spend more Indy time with that group than any other. Not only is the coaching important but getting the right players there as well. On my Youth teams for example, my Guards typically had been FBs on their previous Youth teams.

The first thing we concentrate on is teaching a proper stance, too often I see this glossed over or coaches making excuses that their players can't do it. I always ask is that the Players can't do it or you can't teach it?

Next, work Punch & First step drills, we do this from the first practice to the last.

When we work First step we are concentrating on them never rising up,  this is where real coaching takes place. After they take the First step & are staying low, have them drop to a knee before resetting. Otherwise you are teaching them to rise up after the first step without realizing it.

Recognition is something we evolve to, we don't worry about it early on. The whole key is the Play Side Tackle, he needs to identify the nearest DL. Once that happens everyone falls in line.

Lastly, by working Zone & Stretch first, you are teaching them something they will use on every play. Take the time to concentrate on how to block more so than who. The who gets easy.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze

In your PPT here in a 6-2 your Tackle calls a Tiger call and they leave the DE unblocked then in the 5-2 diagram the Tackle calls for Gator combo while he has DT close to the same spot as in the 6-2 diagram and the H takes the DE by himself. What is the Tackle looking at, what are his rules to make this call? After the Tackle makes his call who makes the next call and when does he do it and what is the next guy looking for? 
Sorry if this is in another thread, if so just point me in the right direction and I will take a look. I've been looking through all of them and trying to learn.

Thanks for any help.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

HP

This is something we work on & change according to our players & how the opponent plays their D.

VS a 6-2 the DT is in a 5 Technique when we see a 5 we automatically call a Tiger. Our plan is to run under the wide DE. If we can't or the DE is is a play maker we will either formation or use motion to get an extra body there.

VS a 5-2 the DT is in a 4 technique now we can call either a Gator or a Tiger. Our first choice is the Gator this now means we have enough hats for everyone. It also will stop a pinch by that  DT.

The easiest way is to PM me for my #, the phone call will clear it all up.

Our basic rules are to combo the nearest DL to the OT.
3= Gator
4= Gator or Tiger
5= Tiger

If were to get a 3 & a 5 then base call it, where everyone just Zone steps to the nearest defender. This is why the splits are so important. Now they can clearly ID everything.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze

This really helps, I will definitely like to give you a call sometime.

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze

In Queen would you run inside zone to the weakside with the T? In this situation what call would the Tackle make on a 4-3 overfront, I think Tackle should solo block the end and the C and G should Gator but what is the call the Tackle would make at the line of scrimmage?

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

HP

The LT would make a base call, the LG & C would Cougar the 1 to Pork. The H would insert. That is the regular way. We have also played with the H pulling & kicking the LT going straight to Pork & the LG & C cougaring to Bacon.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze

I have an idea but who is the pork and bacon?

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

I have an idea but who is the pork and bacon?

Playside (Pork) and Backside (Bacon) LB's

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Is a safety down in the box salami?

I didn't know what the Mike could be.

http://naturalhealthtechniques.com/list-of-meats-and-poultry/

Turns out mutton or moose.

I'll leave the organ meats jokes to others.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

Is a safety down in the box salami?

I didn't know what the Mike could be.

http://naturalhealthtechniques.com/list-of-meats-and-poultry/

Turns out mutton or moose.

I'll leave the organ meats jokes to others.

Nope. Can't be from a different animal. It's gotta be from a pig. Otherwise we have pure anarchy.

My vote goes to Medisterpølse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pork_dishes

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze

Thanks

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Mac is Mike only when he is stacked behind a 0 technique.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Share: