Notifications
Clear all

Platooning

Page 1 / 2

chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Hey Joe, how do you guys decide who plays offense or defense?  Is the entire coaching staff involved, do the players have a say?

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

CnD

Yes the entire staff is involved in the decision. Players are involved, & usually start out what position they want. First few days I always have more QB's by day 3 the number is in half.

Once we determine a player is an athlete, either through work outs or practice. Then we focus on finding a place for him to play. Often there is trial & error.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Thanks Joe.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

CnD

If a player runs & hits we find a place for him to play.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Coach, how about the kids that would be considered mpp's in youth football?  I know you have a big roster, how do you go about keeping those guys in the program?  Do those guys play in tight games?

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

CnD

Absolutely not!

We are an 8A school & play some of the top teams in the country. We quite often have good players who see no time, never mind a MMP.

This is one of the issues we struggle with. We will often send a player down to the JV if he is grade appropriate, & not seeing any PT. Try walking up to the Booth when a Dad jumps out at you asking why his son gets no time. They often have unrealistic expectations.

Here is an example of how our games often go. We beat our arch rivals last season 43-42 on a 2 pt conversion in the last minute of the game.

I am often amazed how the players stay with limited or no PT. We will always try to find a way but it's not something we can control.

Joe

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I hear ya...thanks Coach.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

How would you rank order of importance when assigning positions in the offense?

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Spread or I?

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Spread or I?

Power I.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

C

The third page of the PP has a list.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

C

The third page of the PP has a list.

Joe

I was looking for a ranking but a description will work too.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

C

Rankings will change from team to team.

I had teams where the best player was:

TB
RT
QB
TE
RG
WB

I have also had  teams where 3 different players played WB according to the play.

Here is an important tip. The back up FB should start on the OLINE.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Did you flip your line so the best lineman was always on play side?

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

C

No we always played their sides.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: