Notifications
Clear all

Player rotations in the no huddle

chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Coach Joe, how do you rotate guys ?  Do you bring five skill guys in at a time after a certain amount of plays? 

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

CnD

We go by series & Personnel groupings. This Spring for example our primary packages were 10 personnel & empty personnel.
So we game planned for the third series to be empty personnel.

During the regular season we may have up to 8 different personnel groupings, so we try to stay a play ahead.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Damn!  How many guys do you typically use on offense in a game?  Any two way starters?

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

CnD

No 2 way starters, we will have a couple of packages with a few defensive guys. Typically we will play 17 or 18 players.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Nice....  I'm coaching with a bunch of pussies that want to start the same guys both ways......and run no huddle.....and not sub on defense.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

CnD

When I coached at the Private School we had 17 players one year & 21 the next. Going fast was suicide. We did have a "Go Fast" package & used it as a change up or on a Quick Change(fumble or INT), & it was deadly. Most times we went very slow to get guys rest. We really only rested guys on offense, since we couldn't on defense.

Joe

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I appreciate the feedback.  We got over forty on our varsity roster and they want seven guys to start both ways.  Absolutely ridiculous.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

CnD

Is the talent that bad?

I can understand a few players having packages, but with 40 you would think the number would 3 or less. When I coached Youth ball we usually started with 7 2 way players at the beginning of the season & then would coach our butts off to reduce that number. That was Youth ball, it is suicide in HS football. A fair team can run you off the field.

If you are running no huddle, I assume you are running some sort of read game. We are fortunate being an 8A school we have the bodies, not having the bodies it really becomes a matter of offenses gets the QB then defense takes the starting 11. The read game will allow you to still go fast with lesser players. Then you can package those other 6 guys so they can not be burned out.

If you want give me a call & I can tell you how we do the packages.

Joe

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
Topic starter  

The talent is not great and there is a drop off but it's no excuse not to use some mediocre guys that can contribute. 

We are an air raid team.  Our qb is going to be a sophomore.  He is small, weak, and slower than the lineman.  But he gets the ball out very fast, can make the reads (in the passing game) and is very accurate.  He is our best weapon. He will not run the ball unless absolutely necessary.  But he can really execute the passing game.

Our offense is the Mumme/Leach version.  Lots of dink and dunk.  O line is going to be overmatched against anyone good. I know the old saying "if you can't block em, read em" But the Qb is possibly the slowest guy on the roster, we don't want him pulling the ball.  Plus if he gets hurt, we're looking at 0-10.  The other qbs are not qbs.

If we had a runner at qb, I'd probably "try" to do what you do in the run game.

But Yea, I'd like to pick your brain on a few things.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

CnD

If you are running Air Raid, then think the RPO game as your read package. Of course the issue is if the QB is small how is he making the reads in the pass game.

Look at Mesh as an example. Tall QB can see smaller meshers, short  QB needs tall meshers. This is always the problem with a shorter QB. Our guy is 5'9" but is quicker than snot. On certain looks we have to our taller guys on the reads.

Air Raid is a great offense but going with 7 guys both ways can be a killer.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Share: