Notifications
Clear all

Plays out of Pistol (Coach Joe)

Page 1 / 2

coachcoolnoe
(@coachcoolnoe)
Copper
Topic starter  

As of now I only run fast screens out of Pistol. Smoke, Rocket, Bubble and Trouble. What are some other run or pass plays that you like to run out of the Pistol formation?

CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver

I run the entire offense out of Pistol with 10u.

Run schemes:
Zone, Stretch, Counter, Power, G

Pass Schemes:
Bubble, Smoke, Naked, and PAW.

Gonna add a little Quick passing, maybe a RPO, and some zone read later on in season.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

We don't run Pistol (Gun & UTC take up all of our practice time) but if we did would def run Power Read. We run it now from Jack Gun with T on the strong side which is basically the same thing.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze

When running out of Pistol does the QB open to the Right or left on zone, power and stretch to the right to the Tailback.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

HP

Any play that you can run UTC you can run from the Pistol. Instead of the first step being at 5 or 7 O'clock it is now at 3 or 9. On Zone Read is the only difference. We open Opposite stepping the same as Trap where the QB pivots so the TB can run Straight downhill.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze

I've been watching a lot of the 2015 highlights and I was wondering how you get your TB in different alignments. It looks as he is running the same play sometimes out of pistol and sometimes offset, is there calls to move him is it because sometimes it is a read play instead of straight action? Also how do you move the H-back, he will start in Queen and then slow motion to Jack formation. Do you call the original formation first and call Hip or Hap or however you do it, or call the formation you want and call Hip, Hop or Hap? I'm confused, lol.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

HP

The TB in 2015 was a great kid but not the brightest bulb. He could never remember where to line up & the QB would always have to move him. We really didn't worry because the QB's always knew & our opponents thought it was to confuse them.

Ok, at the HS level we do it by a color code. Let's say 1 is OZ right, White 1 is Pistol, Black 1 is gun, Red 1 is no read straight give & can be from either depending on the game plan. Now at the Youth level I used suits of cards, Spades was Gun back on the left, Clubs was UTC, Hearts was  Gun back on the left, Diamond was UTC. Remember we really didn't start using Pistol until 6 years ago, when we did we simply said Pistol.

Motion for us we start in the original formation called. The motion tells us where to go. Motion can be as simple as you like or as comlicated. I tend to like simple. the important thing is to be consistent.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze

Ok, thanks. Very helpful.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

HP

Here is the thing, you can make whatever system you like as long as it makes sense to you & you can teach it. I have seen motion with 3 digits, formations with 3 digits, PAP's with 3 digits. I have seen runs be cities & PAP's the states. I have seen number systems, concepts as well as all words. The key is use what works for you.

Here is a list of how I have called Inside Zone over the years:

23/24
Red/ Black Arizona
White/Black/Red 7/8
Zone Right/Left
Bear/Cub

All these work within a system. That is why the Power Point is only a guide & not a playbook.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze

HP

The TB in 2015 was a great kid but not the brightest bulb. He could never remember where to line up & the QB would always have to move him. We really didn't worry because the QB's always knew & our opponents thought it was to confuse them.

Ok, at the HS level we do it by a color code. Let's say 1 is OZ right, White 1 is Pistol, Black 1 is gun, Red 1 is no read straight give & can be from either depending on the game plan. Now at the Youth level I used suits of cards, Spades was Gun back on the left, Clubs was UTC, Hearts was  Gun back on the left, Diamond was UTC. Remember we really didn't start using Pistol until 6 years ago, when we did we simply said Pistol.

Motion for us we start in the original formation called. The motion tells us where to go. Motion can be as simple as you like or as comlicated. I tend to like simple. the important thing is to be consistent.

Joe
I really like how you use the colors as indicators of the placement of the RB and type of play and when I design my play calls I think I would like to do it this way. I think I get most of it but I am a little confused on the white call, white is a read out of Pistol correct since red is straight action? If so what would be the backfield action on a "white outside zone"call?
Joe

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

As of now I only run fast screens out of Pistol. Smoke, Rocket, Bubble and Trouble. What are some other run or pass plays that you like to run out of the Pistol formation?

When I was the OC at CHS, we ran the DW mostly from Pistol.  Ran our entire DW package.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

HP

Here is the thing, you can make whatever system you like as long as it makes sense to you & you can teach it. I have seen motion with 3 digits, formations with 3 digits, PAP's with 3 digits. I have seen runs be cities & PAP's the states. I have seen number systems, concepts as well as all words. The key is use what works for you.

Here is a list of how I have called Inside Zone over the years:

23/24
Red/ Black Arizona
White/Black/Red 7/8
Zone Right/Left
Bear/Cub

All these work within a system. That is why the Power Point is only a guide & not a playbook.

Joe

I like the zone right/left. Why not call it what it is? Our play calling system was so simple because we didn't try and be cute. Power right was power right. Wing counter left was wing counter left.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

R

I agree call it what it is, the issue becomes what system you are using to call your plays. Most of us have used the 2 digit system for years, & it still works. Any system that is coordinated & easy to understand can work. This is the reason my Power Point is a guide & not a playbook. Each coach needs to develop what works for them. Same with calling routes vs concepts, I have used both. They both work, it's really about how & what you teach.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze

I guess really I'm wondering what is  the action for a OZ read out of Pistol?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

HP

OZ to the TB can't be a read from Pistol, unless your QB has a head like Linda Blair in the Exorcist. You Can run Stretch/ Power Read with the QB running the stretch. Now the Package comes into play.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: