Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Power Point

Page 4 / 4

CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver

Joe,

Motions aren't discussed in the powerpoint.  I feel safe in assuming you use numerous motions in your system.

Obviously thinking of youth ball here.  Thoughts on the following:

Queen formation, putting Z in motion into a Offset Lead Back position on the strong side, and running Zone Right with an extra blocker?  Adjustment would include H going up to a LB, with Z picking up EMLOS.

What other motions, designs would be in your standard youth package?  Specifically for blocking advantages.  At our level/area, defenses don't adjust well to motions. 

Thanks in advance.

Kent

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Joe,

Motions aren't discussed in the powerpoint.  I feel safe in assuming you use numerous motions in your system.

Obviously thinking of youth ball here.  Thoughts on the following:

Queen formation, putting Z in motion into a Offset Lead Back position on the strong side, and running Zone Right with an extra blocker?  Adjustment would include H going up to a LB, with Z picking up EMLOS.

What other motions, designs would be in your standard youth package?  Specifically for blocking advantages.  At our level/area, defenses don't adjust well to motions. 

Thanks in advance.

Kent

K

We use many different motions, some are part of the play so we simply don't call them(think Jet) some are lead motions as you describe in our terminology that would be Zip(Z into place), I have seen & used probably 20 different ways to call motions. I really didn't want to confuse the basics by including motions. We will use return motion as well all mostly as window dressing.

Here is a great example of what I mean. We want to run Naked, our opponent is mugged up on our HBack, they are in tight man coverage. We will motion in slow Hip motion to look like Power away then bring him back on our side of the LOS so the Man coverage gets lost. All the while it's the same play to us.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver

Zip, consider that one added.  I expect my Z to be the next up athlete at QB type kid.  He'll need to be smart, because he will move around the most.

I'm  looking at additional ways I can motion H or Z into a better blocking advantage.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

K

Our HBack motions are Hip ( H in place) Hop(H over) & Harp( H return). Z are Zip, Zap(Z across the formation), & Zoom ( Z behind the QB).

Joe

PS Yes I know they sound alike but the hand signals are different!

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver

Thanks Joe.

I plan to run off wristbands on QB, mostly from a huddle.

Call in formation, motion, and a wristband play number.

Queen Zip 23(Zone Right), etc.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

K

This is going to sound insane, we would simply call Color Number, unless the formation was wrong. The Z & QB would see the Zip call & it doesn't get echo'd they just know. This is all part of how we go fast.

Joe

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver

K

This is going to sound insane, we would simply call Color Number, unless the formation was wrong. The Z & QB would see the Zip call & it doesn't get echo'd they just know. This is all part of how we go fast.

Joe

So the entire play call including formation per line item?  ex. Queen Zip Zone Right.

I did that 2 years ago with 8u.  I had different wristbands for the lineman that were blocking scheme only and all on the front, so they didn't have to open them. (Que: Michael...)  Backs had entire plays and had to use all 3 panels.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

Coach is there a certain playbook you recommend to go with your power point? 

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

A

The idea is to adapt your own playbook. The formations are laid out, it's a simple system.
Play calling can be names on wrist bands or numbered series.

We used Numbered series.

JOe

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

A

The idea is to adapt your own playbook. The formations are laid out, it's a simple system.
Play calling can be names on wrist bands or numbered series.

We used Numbered series.

JOe

Thanks Coach. I was hoping it wasn't a real stupid question. When I read that it wasn't a playbook, it made me wonder if there was a playbook that adapted best. I am running multiple formation wishbone, with triple and double option, with veer as base blocking. The passing game and concepts have always been my nemesis, coaching wise. I will not get this far coaching wise, with try to teach option, but want to learn as much as possible.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze

What word fits to fake Z jet fake in front of Q? A couple words mentioned in this thread may fit but not exactly sure. Zip(in place) snap after Z in place, Zap(across) snap after Z ran across formation, Zoom(behind), I may be missing something but none of these seem to fit the fake jet motion.

Thanks for any help.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

HP

This may sound crazy, but it's Jet.

Example 23 Jet counter.... & so on.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze

Ok thanks, actually that's what I was thinking.

Queen jet 23 Cntr.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

HP

Sometimes the obvious answer is obvious for a reason. I have always tried to keep things simple especially in the Youth game.

Here's an example of what I mean:

The play is Ace 48 jet 37 reverse pass X stop & Go QB Wheel. We simply say Crazy Horse. The play may get run once a game so we don't care if it's a tell.

Joe

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

It's that time of year where coaches are thinking about installing their offense. One thing I would like to remind coaches, while keeping things simple is great, you need to have enough schemes in to be effective. I have seen many coaches install our offense & be successful, the others always seem to self edit without seeing the big picture. I am not saying you need 50 plays, but you need enough plays to have an answer to the common & uncommon defenses you will see.

I have gotten calls, & the coach complains we got stuffed & couldn't move the ball. When I ask if they ran this or that depending on the defense was doing I get a big fat no.

The other major issue is personnel selection. Don't settle in on who plays where until you see them under fire. Quite  often a player will look great untill there is another color jersey on the other side.

Hope this helps. Good luck to all.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: