Notifications
Clear all

QB Basics

Page 1 / 8

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

After reading several posts it has become plainly clear that often what I take for granted as simple basics are not what is being taught. So in the post I am  going to try & cover some all important basics. I will do it in installments here is the first one:

STANCE:

Whether UTC or in the GUN or Pistol, I prefer a staggered stance. I like to have my QB's off foot(if he's a righty it's his left) staggered back ideally to his instep, but no deeper then the heel of the up foot.

My reason, simple it allows the first step to be that much deeper. Depth is a very important commodity for all QB's. I want every advantage I can get. When we taught our I formation it was all with an even stance, then going Spreads with went with the stagger & found we could still do everything we did from the even stance only a little quicker.

Width- I want my QB's feet to be under their arm pits. So not quite shoulder width, & definitely not to close.

Next is the QB's body, I want a bend at every joint. Start at the wrists, elbows, shoulders, neck, waists, knees, & ankles. Weight on the balls of their feet, but every cleat in the ground. If their heels are up it's no more then a credit card, but I prefer cleats in the ground. Even though I want everything bent I do not want the crouch either, I still want them up right enough to look over the defense. 

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

How are the hands positioned Coach ? I know there's a couple different way's we can go about it which way do you prefer .

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Tito

Hands are the next installment.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Hands :

UTC- The center ridge of the dominant hand should ride where the good Lord split the center. The bottom hand or off hand is really the critical hand. I do not want the thumbs to be even, instead slide the off thumb until it locks in past the first knuckle of the thumb. If you do this yourself you will see how both hands fit perfectly together with no separations. The fingers of the off hand need to be bent back as far as possible, this will prevent an bad snap hitting the finger tips & a fumble. This is the hand that provides pressure upwards. If a QB uses his dominant hand which is on top to provide pressure the hands can pop apart very easily allowing for the ball to pop in between his hands. Pressure from the bottom hand insures they stay together.

Gun or Pistol-  Imagine the QB making a receiver's diamond with the off thumb in front of the dominant. The diamond is placed between the QB's navel & breast bone.

Joe

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

First Steps

I am very firm in the exact steps needed for each play. In order to be sure every QB can understand me I use a clock. 12 o'clock is directly in front of the QB & 6 o'clock directly behind. UTC the steps will be from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock, from the gun we will use all clock positions. We also tend to be very specific, IE Trap Right from Gun QB will step right foot to 11 o'clock.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

At the young age you can turn the toes in slightly if the QB is false stepping forward then back.

Todd

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

At the young age you can turn the toes in slightly if the QB is false stepping forward then back.We have even had them place their weight on the inside of the foot(Think big toe)

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

First Steps

I am very firm in the exact steps needed for each play. In order to be sure every QB can understand me I use a clock. 12 o'clock is directly in front of the QB & 6 o'clock directly behind. UTC the steps will be from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock, from the gun we will use all clock positions. We also tend to be very specific, IE Trap Right from Gun QB will step right foot to 11 o'clock.

Joe

Joe

Funny thing...with Super Smurfs the first thing you have to do is teach them what an old school clock looks like.

Dang technology.

Sorry to interrupt. Just made me chuckle.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
coachnick
(@coachnick)
Gold

Hands :

UTC- The center ridge of the dominant hand should ride where the good Lord split the center. The bottom hand or off hand is really the critical hand. I do not want the thumbs to be even, instead slide the off thumb until it locks in past the first knuckle of the thumb. If you do this yourself you will see how both hands fit perfectly together with no separations. The fingers of the off hand need to be bent back as far as possible, this will prevent an bad snap hitting the finger tips & a fumble. This is the hand that provides pressure upwards. If a QB uses his dominant hand which is on top to provide pressure the hands can pop apart very easily allowing for the ball to pop in between his hands. Pressure from the bottom hand insures they stay together.

Gun or Pistol-  Imagine the QB making a receiver's diamond with the off thumb in front of the dominant. The diamond is placed between the QB's navel & breast bone.

Joe

hold on here coach---

"off hand" refers to the bottom hand?

and can you please clarify what you mean by "fingers bent?"  I cant picture it...thanks

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

hold on here coach---Holding!

"off hand" refers to the bottom hand?Dominant Hand & Off hand (Off hand is the bottom)

and can you please clarify what you mean by "fingers bent?"  I cant picture it...thanksIf you bent your fingers forward you would make a fist, bending them back opens them as wide as possible!

I hope that helps!

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Taking the Snap:

3 things can happen when the ball hits the QB's hands(providing he doesn't drop it or bobble it). The first is what we call Seat, in this move the QB will bring the ball to his third hand(his sternum). Most times when the QB is going to hand off we want the ball secured first. It is also how we teach our QB's to move with the ball. We do a drill we call QB run, where he runs with the ball at his sternum moving it across his chest, only number to number, & with his elbows down.

The next thing that can happen is he immediately extends the ball for a ride in some type of option or read. Here we want the QB's hands over the middle of the ball(unless he has very large hands then he can hold it as he would for a pass) Remember on a Read Play the back is responsible for the mesh the QB's head must go to his read. Along with the 1/4 turn(the QB will rotate the ball a 1/4 turn so his back hand doesn't touch the RB) we want our QB to extend the ball to past his far hip, the actual Ride takes place hip to hip. It is called a belly ride for a reason, the ball must be in the backs belly.

The last thing is the QB is cocking for a pass, we teach our QB to snap the ball into position as he begins his steps. We want his shoulders to rotate, just how far will depend on the QB & what side he is throwing to.

Joe

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Hand Off's :

We use 2 different styles of hand offs, a 2 handed ride & a 1 handed slide.

When we execute the 1 handed slide method we talk about the 4 S's:

Seat- the QB seats the ball to his third hand.
Show- the QB extends the ball showing it.
Slide- the instant the ball comes to the back the QB slides the hand nearest the Back's body away.
Sell- the QB maintains contact & ensures a proper hand off as long as possible.

When we execute a 2 handed ride we start by using a 1/4 turn. This means the QB will turn the ball a 1/4 so that his back hand doesn't come in contact to the back. We stress he ride the back from his deep hip to his near hip.

Joe

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Fakes & Boots:

If anyone wants me to go insane simply show me one of my QB's handing off & then standing there. When we watch film we stress to our QB's that they must always carry out the fake or boot. If the play calls for a boot we explain to our QB's that if they boot & hold the backside corner a 1/2 second, that could be a TD. I also threaten them that I will never call the boot unless they boot on the run play.

On all our read plays our QB's must carry their part of the play out, there is no  taking 2 steps & stopping.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Hurricane
(@hurricane)
Bronze

Thank you for posting this information Joe.

ReplyQuote
coachnick
(@coachnick)
Gold

;

;D I got it!!!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 8
Share: