Notifications
Clear all

RB basics

Page 1 / 2

morris
(@morris)
Platinum
Topic starter  

I thought since the QB basics thread was such a hit Joe could go through how he picks, trains and practices his RBs for zone and other runs.

Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

Great thought perfect timing. All this last week i been working on my asst practice plans.Were i throw everything i like at them and we narrow it down based on whats best for base install and what they can teach write away.

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

There are many basics to teach a Running back. I will cover some of them , & I will go into more detail when asked.As far as choosing a RB, that is almost an art. It isn't always the fastest player, or the most athletic. Those are both qualities that are needed though. I always joke that when a player walks on the field I can pick out a RB, I love those bowlegged & pigeon toed.

Taking a Hand off:

This is the first skill all RB's need. I teach near arm up, thumb down, & pinkie up. The thumb should be at their nipple. The bottom with palm up across the navel. The most important thing is to come over the ball & not grab at it. We don't clamp down until we are past the QB & the ball is still there.

I know some teach the layered hand off. I have only heard good things just have never used it.

Whenever we are working RB drills we are enforcing taking a proper hand off. We can not tolerate a lazy exchange, turnovers must be eliminated. We fake the same way we take a hand off so I can not emphasize doing it right.

Carrying the ball:

I am a high & tight guy. We always want our backs securing the ball in the outside arm & high tight. Yes, I know this old fashioned; but it works. In youth Football every time a back is running he should have a ball in his hands holding it high & tight. I also teach our backs how to switch hands, again old fashioned; & again it works.

Steps:

Do not ever tell your RB just go there. My basic rule is first step is with near foot, there are exceptions usually on counters. Make sure the RB takes the proper steps. I don't allow any false steps.

Running:

I am a big believer in running nipples over the knees. Some backs will naturally run higher, but if you coach them they can get a little lower. We always say run behind your pads.

That is a start, ask some questions & I will add.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
Topic starter  

What got me to start the thread was I listened to two of your Big B shows. One on the OL and one on RBs.

How do you teach the zone steps for the RB?

How do teach the read/cut? You mentioned you didn't teach the cut back until later.

How is the footwork for stretch taught?

How do you teach the read?

How do you coach your RB in slide protection?

That should be a start.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Joe is thinking right now "damn you Morris, couldn't you have spread all that out a little". Joe is going to be typing for days.  😀 So yeah Joe, we're all waiting. Don't think it isn't appreciated though. I find these threads easily the most valuable on the site.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

What got me to start the thread was I listened to two of your Big B shows. One on the OL and one on RBs.

How do you teach the zone steps for the RB?UTC I use the same steps for Zone & Power. The RB will take 2 shuffle steps play side then down hill.

How do teach the read/cut? You mentioned you didn't teach the cut back until later. The RB ID's the Read As he is stepping the read is in his peripheral vision once the ball is secure he makes the read. If the LB comes at him he gets width to the first crease. If he goes over the top he replaces.

How is the footwork for stretch taught? UTC 1 slide step then aim at the HBack's butt.

How do you teach the read?Which read? ON stretch find the first crease to the stretch side & get a foot in the ground to get vertical.

How do you coach your RB in slide protection?We do it several ways, a lot depends on the size of the back & how good a blocker he is. The easiest way is to take 2 steps at the OT's butt set & drop his hips, identify & explode.

That should be a start.

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
Topic starter  

In the podcast you talked about using trash cans to teach reads on IZ. Including how to coach the cutback.

On the slide step on stretch your RB gets his shoulders on an angle? Are you coaching eyes to the H and read butt? It kind of reminds me of coaching the RBs on bucksweep a little.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

In the podcast you talked about using trash cans to teach reads on IZ. Including how to coach the cutback. A Coach stands where the LB would be with a trash can, on the snap he leans the trash can in the direction the LB goes & the back makes the cut

On the slide step on stretch your RB gets his shoulders on an angle? Are you coaching eyes to the H and read butt? It kind of reminds me of coaching the RBs on bucksweep a little.His shoulders turn after the slide step. Similar but different you must emphasize getting a foot in the ground & getting vertical. The angles are different but the idea is the same.

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

I know some teach the layered hand off. I have only heard good things just have never used it.

I would like to know a little about layered handoff.  I tinkered with it in my backyard with my son and I could not make it work.  I hear great things as well, but right now I don't feel I can teach it.  Can somebody chime in with teaching the layered handoff?

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

How do you teach the zone steps for the RB?UTC I use the same steps for Zone & Power. The RB will take 2 shuffle steps play side then down hill.

What about out of Pistol?

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

Thanks!  I have watched that video before.  Still couldn't make it work.  I settled on the fact that my kid is too small for it to work.  In reality, I probably just didn't have a clue as to what I was doing.  I'll probably continue to teach it the way I always have (same way you do).  But I'm always open to trying new things and I've heard the layered method is better for deception.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Pistol & UTC are exactly the same QB adjusts his steps, Gun is different angles different steps.

Joe

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
Topic starter  

So what is the footwork in the gun?

I believe in podcast you went into pretty good detail on which steps overall. I believe you even stated by which step decisions should have happen.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

I would like to know a little about layered handoff.  I tinkered with it in my backyard with my son and I could not make it work.  I hear great things as well, but right now I don't feel I can teach it.  Can somebody chime in with teaching the layered handoff?

You should reach out to Jake. He is a big layered had off guy. Used to be called Winged, now He goes by Coach JC I believe.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: