Notifications
Clear all

Smoke vs Tunnel  

GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
Topic starter  

I get that smoke is a stay screen while tunnel is a slip screen but can you please break down the receiver footwork and any other important coaching points for each?

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

I get that smoke is a stay screen while tunnel is a slip screen but can you please break down the receiver footwork and any other important coaching points for each?

Tunnel screen really takes a youth kid with some nerve to run. The receiver will take an outside release trying to influence the defender over him to open hips away from QB. I like two steps up, then two back down the same stem. Get numbers to the quarterback while moving perpendicular to the line of scrimmage.
He will be moving toward the quarterback at a speed fast enough where he can turn upfield at a right angle after securing the catch ( or just beyond his inside blocker  tight end, slot, tackle wing back  if he secures ball on the outside of this blocker.  He is getting a kickout  and some sort of pin block to the inside. He has to run straight through those two blocks without juking  or cutting.

There is going to be traffic and too many times the receiver hesitates after catching and chops his feet before he bounces toward the sideline where the corner is being blocked to.

Todd

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Greg

Todd is fairly close to the way we do it.

Smoke is 2 steps forward & bounce back

Rocket(tunnel) is 2 steps forward & pivot back towards the inside receiver. Now, the real coaching point is how this is thrown. Some teams like the Rocket to develop longer & will throw it later. I believe fast screens need to be thrown fast.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

Here is a clip of tunnel to the boundary.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A9ADCB79EBC31418!342&authkey=!ALNqqqOMLhZGzqI&ithint=video%2cmov

Todd

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Todd

We are throwing it much faster than that. So our WR's steps are quicker.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

I like both ways but really like to get the corner turned before the throw.

Todd

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
Topic starter  

thanks guys

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Todd

We will throw it off a PAP where it develops later, but as a fast screen I like it fast.

Joe

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Here is a clip of tunnel to the boundary.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A9ADCB79EBC31418!342&authkey=!ALNqqqOMLhZGzqI&ithint=video%2cmovbr >

T

Question

Is it legal for the WR to cross the LOS then comeback? Is the rule steadfast regardless....catch made behind the LOS and OLM can be down-field?

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

T

Question

Is it legal for the WR to cross the LOS then comeback? Is the rule steadfast regardless....catch made behind the LOS and OLM can be down-field?

Mike

Yes it's legal, there is also a 2 yd grace.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

T

Question

Believe it or not, under federation rules the quarterback can cross the line of scrimmage and return behind and throw a legal forward pass. (Under NCAA the los disentegrates upon the ball crossing and thus cannot make a forward pass once crossed.)
I have played with a end of game desperation play based on this.
1. snap ball to running back who runs sweep and before being tackled jumps in the air and throws ball backward to QB who has retreated 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage.
2. QB  catches and fires it to opposite wideoout who has now started running downfield
3. OL pass blocks and DOES NOT go downfield

lot of moving parts but that is what Hail Mary's are for I guess.

Todd

ReplyQuote
Share: