Notifications
Clear all

Stick!  

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Here is our base version of Stick with the reads for the QB. Any comments would be appreciated.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Just to provide some teaching points for everyone.

1) Are you always looking to complete the Stick first?
2) To be sure if the outside blitz comes from the Stick Side its an auto to the opposite side keying the Back?
3) What scenario(s) are you looking for to throw the Vert? 
4) How many "Reads" are you allowing or is it just one (Backer) with "Booth" watching the coverageon the #2?

Dusty

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Just to provide some teaching points for everyone.

1) Are you always looking to complete the Stick first?It's a read on the OLB(apex) if he goes to the out throw the Stick, he backs up throw the out.
2) To be sure if the outside blitz comes from the Stick Side its an auto to the opposite side keying the Back?No, throw the out to the stick.
3) What scenario(s) are you looking for to throw the Vert?This is a pre-snap read, if we see hard C2 then throw the Honey Hole. 
4) How many "Reads" are you allowing or is it just one (Backer) with "Booth" watching the coverageon the #2?It's pre-snap post snap. Very simple, we never want to compicate it.

Dusty

S

This is an extremely simple read. Mostly we are looking to read the Apex defender. In my experience the "Stick throw " is open more often than not. We practice the QB throwing to the Open shoulder of the "Stick". So if it's Zone & the apex is the flat defender he will throw to the outside shoulder. If it's man & the SS has the stick man than it's to the inside shoulder. This is how it progresses. We start teaching it as "if than" & develope from there. Believe it or not the hardest reads are the Pre-Snap reads. Everyone is trying to disguise coverages & bait a throw.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CHARLIEDONTSURF
(@charleydontsurf)
Copper

One of my favorite concepts in ball.  Simple and easy to teach/execute.  Good in the open field, red zone, or into the boundary.  It also packages neatly with other concepts (e.g., Snag, Drive, Cross) without adding much complexity for QB.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

CDS

This actually is the first full concept I have taught at the New School. What I think people don't realize is the variations while running Stick make it a very hard concept to defend. It all comes back to the same read, & easy for the QB. Often will either use the back into the combination or keep him in the protection. So trying to scout us & defend it is rough.

Joe

ReplyQuote
CHARLIEDONTSURF
(@charleydontsurf)
Copper

CDS

This actually is the first full concept I have taught at the New School. What I think people don't realize is the variations while running Stick make it a very hard concept to defend. It all comes back to the same read, & easy for the QB. Often will either use the back into the combination or keep him in the protection. So trying to scout us & defend it is rough.

Joe

Couldn't agree more.  In fact, I call it a "Stick read" for that reason.  Every concept has nuance, but they can be anchored to a handful of base reads.  So, many of our plays have a stick read, many have a smash read, etc.  It's a simple heuristic, but it's how I want my QBs thinking.

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze

The first play I put in every year.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

CnD

Not the first, but definitely the first concept. Here at the new school I really have to teach how to run routes, these players have never been taught how. Counting steps is forgein to them. How to actually catch a ball is competely new.

Joe

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze

I'm sure you're enjoying the challenge, Coach.  I saw you're over on the pro style site.  Are you going to be more prostyle with this team?

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

CnD

Yes definitely, we have more bigs than skills. I am planning on being a little more ECO, with a green QB running the Spread Option & RPO's can be difficult. We really will have to seee how we develop once we start full practices.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Going Joe Gibbs on us??  LOL

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: