Page 2 / 3

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

T

Good stuff, QB stays clean.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

We were working slide with 6 or 7 man protection at the start of the season, my son decided to have them block man, he called it "double kicks", both tackles kicking back the GCG taking whoever crossed their faces...when we saw that was working without the help of the F, we started sending him into the pattern and leaving the H in, then we saw that we could send the H out too...we were blocking 5 and 6 man fronts with our front 5 (and occasionally the F or the H staying in.

I think how we got so good at it was in practice, we had our oline working against our ball guys...fast and athletic, they learned (we taught) how to get their feet set against these faster kids, and when the game came, they were able to easily block the traditional dline type.

The next progression was cutting...we taught all of our oline to cut, we told them on passing plays they could cut if they wanted to, but on certain plays we would cut the DE regardless (slant/arrow we cut the playside DE to get his hands down).

We taught line calls (MINE,MINE,MINE for example if a LB walked up), tackle would call out a jersey number of the player the backfield was responsible for blocking (if a tackle had someone inside of him and outside of him). AXE, AXE, AXE if a player was going to cut his man, so we would not end up with a high low call. They talked to each other, told the each other who they were going to block, they were really good at communicating.

We taught the backs that if a jersey call was made, they were to attack that player at the LOS, not wait for him to come into the backfield.

We did one on ones pre-game for run fit and pass pro for pregame, and it was our oline against our H, F, Y, X and Z...and to put it in perspective, Our H was 130 pounds, and very athletic, and he would go up against a T who was 150 and not so athletic, and our T would win 8 times out of 10.

We found that "double kicks" worked better than slide protection for us. For play action we ran the blocking scheme for the run action we were showing(counter pass for example, we ran our counter blocking scheme up front, pullers and all). For fast screens we zone blocked play side, except for the tackle who cut the end (get his hands down).

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

Spider - what you're describing is similar to our vertical set protection which is something we use a lot against even fronts.

We have both tackles kick the DEs as you described. The C & LG combo one DT / ILB - the RG takes the opposite DT leaving that ILB for the RB.

Where you run into trouble with this is against a monster DE. We always put two of our very best kids at DE (often our RBs) which is a tough matchup for most youth OTs.

The benefit of slide is it allows you to slide to your best OT and have your RB, who in youth is almost always better than your OTs, pick up the opposite DE.

Both have their places it really depends on your team and your opponent. If you're a base vertical set team, you def need an answer for a bad matchup on the edge (OT vs DE).

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

Spider - what you're describing is similar to our vertical set protection which is something we use a lot against even fronts.

We have both tackles kick the DEs as you described. The C & LG combo one DT / ILB - the RG takes the opposite DT leaving that ILB for the RB.

Where you run into trouble with this is against a monster DE. We always put two of our very best kids at DE (often our RBs) which is a tough matchup for most youth OTs.

The benefit of slide is it allows you to slide to your best OT and have your RB, who in youth is almost always better than your OTs, pick up the opposite DE.

Both have their places it really depends on your team and your opponent. If you're a base vertical set team, you def need an answer for a bad matchup on the edge (OT vs DE).

We do, we cut him πŸ™‚ a lot...let me see if I can find the film clip I am thinking of πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

Okay found two...first is 42 Laser...throwing that quick pass to the slot...watch the left tackle.

Second is Slant Arrow, again, watch the left tackle.

The DE is he playing against is a big strong and athletic kid, plays running back for the other team as well.

We got his hands down.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Okay found two...first is 42 Laser...throwing that quick pass to the slot...watch the left tackle.

Second is Slant Arrow, again, watch the left tackle.

The DE is he playing against is a big strong and athletic kid, plays running back for the other team as well.

We got his hands down.

MERCY IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Love it!

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

SM

The Arrow has to go under the Slant not the other way. Otherwise looks pretty good.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

We actually have the slant go under the arrow, to create the pick, why do you say it needs to be reversed?

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

SM

The Slant picks for the Arrow since the Apex defender is usually inside.

Joe

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

Our pass protection is almost exactly as Spidermac describes theirs.  We don't make the jersey call.  But, I like that wrinkle.  Consider it stolen!  Our O-line kicks are: Inside foot is the 'up foot'.  Take two 6" kicks back. Blocking from the inside out; stay crouched and uncoil and 'POP!' the ever living hell out of anyone that crosses your face.  In practice the O-line yells, "KICK! KICK! POP!" as they're learning the process.
We pit the O-line against our speed guys in practice, also.  We also have some of the mpp's, one-taskers, etc... hold them, try to pull them out of position and, whatever we can think of.  We do have the FB get involved in the blocking for OLB rushes.

β€œIt is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

And I thought pick plays were illegal  πŸ˜›

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

G

They are really rubs not picks, if the receivers pass close enough & don't hit the defender it's a rub.

Vs man on the Goal Line we love SLAW, we teach the man running the slant to make sure he doesn't "hit" the LB but makes him run under him. That opens the Wheel.

Joe

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

I know was just having a little fun with it. We see a lot of Man in GL / 2 pt situations and have had a lot of success with SLAW as well.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

G

It's funny we were looking at game winning plays today in our meeting. 3 times SLaW came up as the winner. I think it's the old maxim in the clutch think players not plays.

Joe

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: