Notifications
Clear all

Styles of Pass Protection

Page 3 / 3

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I spent a long time developing a PA Passing game that had "Rub Routes" involved.  I did not want to bet Popped for Illegal Picks.  "Rub Concepts" are not hard to develop for short routes.  Simple X (Receivers swapping inside outside) routes will handle most intermediate defenders.  It's youth ball here. 

I NEVER count on Pass Protection!  Kids have a tough time differentiating from one to the other UNLESS, you use both with regularity.  Hence, to answer the Topic Question, I use strictly Slide protection to the passing side.  Back has Backside protection.  90% of the passing game I used was PA Pass.  I don't want a static "Pocket" I roll, one side or the other, ball comes out BEFORE the QB reaches the OT position.

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

S

What the purpose of the post originally was about, was changing the "Style" of protection not the scheme. So in what you are describing we would have the roll side G&T not giving ground while the C, G&T on the away side could give ground.

Pass protection IMHO is all about understanding where the launch point is, & tailoring the blocks accordingly. This is why we have our OLine understand what is happening on the play. They don't have to understand the routes, but the timing & the launch point.

At the Youth level if you work on protection with them understanding the why's you will improve your success greatly.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: