Notifications
Clear all

What do you look for?

Page 1 / 2

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

I have tons of experience with the O-line so I know what to look for there. What I don't have a lot of experience in is coaching QBs, backs and WRs. So when you are running the Power I, what do you look for in these positions when you are trying to find "the guy" for each spot?

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

I have tons of experience with the O-line so I know what to look for there. What I don't have a lot of experience in is coaching QBs, backs and WRs. So when you are running the Power I, what do you look for in these positions when you are trying to find "the guy" for each spot?

C

Let's start with the QB. First, understand you are asking me so my answer maybe nothing along the lines you are thinking.
In the BPI the very first thing I look for is Mental Toughness & Coach-ability. Mental Toughness goes a long way in developing leadership skills & being able  to preform under pressure. Next is the ability to handle the ball, he must be athletic enough to securely handle the ball. Notice I have yet to mention size, speed or any other physical quality.

The ability to throw the ball is the very last thing I consider. I can teach anyone with some athletic ability to throw the ball.
I can't teach Mental Toughness or Coach-ability. In an ideal world I like decent height & length, with good quickness.
Unfortunately those characteristics usually belong to another position.

Most importantly is dependability. If he is to be my QB, he needs to be a player that never misses practice & is willing to get there 15 minutes early. If he isn't there it disrupts the entire offense. If he is late he will be holding the team back because he has warm up doing his ignition drills. I can't have a guy who doesn't care be a QB. I want to be able to see the desire to win in every rep he takes.

That is a short list, yet gives a lot to think about. I hope it helps.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Thanks Joe. What do you look for in RBs and WRs?

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

C

The BPI has no WR's so I will leave them out.

I have talked several times about RB's. Bow legged & pigeon toed, are a good place to start. Good forward body lean, quick feet, agile, hostile & mobile are always good starting points. Then there is the old what does he do with a ball in his hands.

Hope that helps .

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Thanks again. I know you have covered most of this before, I was hoping some other coaches would respond too. It is going to be weird getting excited if I see we have some kids that are bowlegged and pigeon toed, lol.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

The killer in the Simpson murders was pigeon-toed.  That's all I'm saying.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Thankfully he didn't do that at 8U. So I can't help if my pigeon toed stud ends up being a murderer when he is an adult. I can live with that.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

For a second, my dumb ass was trying to figure out some episode of The Simpson's that I forgot. Remember, the glove didn't fit sooooo..... who exactly are you talking about?

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Thankfully he didn't do that at 8U. So I can't help if my pigeon toed stud ends up being a murderer when he is an adult. I can live with that.

You never know what he was doing at 8yo. Any records would of been sealed because he was a juvenile.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

For a second, my dumb ass was trying to figure out some episode of The Simpson's that I forgot. Remember, the glove didn't fit sooooo..... who exactly are you talking about?

Pretty sure OJ is pigeon toed.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Pretty sure OJ is pigeon toed.

Yeah, but the glove didn't fit so that proves he wasn't the Simpson murderer. I mean, come on, everybody knows that the glove has to fit for you to be guilty.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Yeah, but the glove didn't fit so that proves he wasn't the Simpson murderer. I mean, come on, everybody knows that the glove has to fit for you to be guilty.

My ex mother-in-law swears Marcus Allen did it. She just can't believe that nice man would of done that.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

He also never owned a pair of Bruno Magli shoes either, lol.

ReplyQuote
PioneerCoach
(@pioneercoach)
Bronze

Wait, you mean he WASN'T talking about "Who Shot Mr. Burns?"  Hmm...

"February: I want to run triple option from the single wing, but with a pass option, too. Should the end run a post or a corner?
September: Any advice on how to get my center to snap it properly?"

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Wait, you mean he WASN'T talking about "Who Shot Mr. Burns?"  Hmm...

*Spoiler Alert*

It was Maggie.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: