Notifications
Clear all

What makes a BAD Spread team?

Page 1 / 3

Hurricane
(@hurricane)
Bronze
Topic starter  

We've all seen the team that team who comes out in a 2x2  but just can't seem to get it going.  From your experience what are the most common characteristics that make up a bad spread team and how would you avoid/fix those issues?

Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

95% of all spread teams (that I have faced anyway) don't know how to block.  They are usually pitch and prayer teams, hoping their best athlete on a sweep can get around the edge and make plays on his own.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

What I've seen most teams try to do is use spread to hide the fact that their OL sucks or that they have no idea how to coach run schemes. They hope people  just blindly move guys out of the box so they have less defenders to worry about and their stud QB can just run around and make things happen.

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

From my experience of what I seen is the why 1st then I would like to hear your reasoning .The problem I see here with a lot of spread it's like everything else when 1 thing doesn't work it's the oh let's try this everyone on tv does it. Not understanding that you have to completely get it yourself before your kids will to many people view it as the cure not the solution and trust me I've seen some great spread at youth level here in Connecticut Steve Christy from Monroe Ct never lost a game in New England 2009 thru 2013 throwing it at least 60 percent of time and hitting then i've seen the spreads that can't get a a play off because the shotgun snap and timing issues.

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
bignose
(@bignose)
Silver

I can't speak for others, but this is what made us a bad Spread Team.

1). We turned the ball over way too much. Going from a run oriented offense where we turned the ball over perhaps once or twice per game to a wide open game where we turned the ball over as many as 7 times in one game was a huge problem. Especially with a weak defense. 40 plus passes per game demanded more from any of our QBs than they were capable of doing. Too much pressure on just one kid.

2). We were entirely too dependent on making the big play. We were very impatient. The OC loved the deep ball. He wanted to have the kids line up and then tell them what pattern to run after the defense deployed. No consistency. He taught sight adjustments, but the QB couldn't always accomplish this.
He never understood that it wasn't him versus the DC, it was our 17 year old kid against another 17 year old kid.

3). We placed our receivers out too wide. Our OC insisted on "spreading the field". He didn't understand that putting a receiver on the bottom of the numbers with the ball on an opposite hash resulted in a 30 yard plus throw, even for a hitch. Our QB's range was 35-37 yards.

4). Our protection was O.K. if we emphasized the short passing game (see #2). Consequently our QB took an ass whipping. We went thru three QBs in one season.

5). We couldn't/wouldn't run the ball enough. The OC's concept was to "pass to set up the run." We didn't set much up.
Some of this was blocking, our line was weak. They were pretty good at backing up and holding; drive blocking, not so much. We sucked at teaching the Zone blocking techniques.

6). We tried the Gun Wing T last year, but the OC didn't understand this. He was a 2 x 2 guy all the way. By game 4 the Wing T went away.

7). We shot ourselves in the foot by trying to go on a multiple cadence, and kept jumping offsides. You can't win with too many negative plays, unless you are Oregon.  And then you have to pass the ball even more to compensate- a vicious circle

I attribute a lot of this to poor coaching choices and decisions, not the kids fault.

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Um the ones that dont score... lol

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Bad Spread teams are the ones that simply don't execute any sound schemes. At the Youth level we have seen more than our share of bad Spread Teams. Seeing a team come out in 2x2 with toe to toe splits & have no idea how to run or pass the ball.

Tito, we played one of those Monroe teams in 2010. They were very good & they ran Spread Option. They were our closest game at the Nationals that year. I think it was 52-20 if I remember right. We had several of their players in the UnderArmour all-star game.

Usually when you ask a Bad Spread team what they are running you will hear their coaches say yeah I watched Ohio State or Oregon on TV.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

A bad youth spread team = a Staff that doesn't know how to organize their passing game and it really has very little to do with the QB.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Mike

Coaching QB's is what I do, I know I take an average QB & get him to play above average.

I think where Youth Coaches fail in running a Spread is not in doing what that team can do, & really understanding how things work. We all think we know how teach 4 verts, or Bubble; how many of us actually do?

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Hurricane
(@hurricane)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Mike

Coaching QB's is what I do, I know I take an average QB & get him to play above average.

I think where Youth Coaches fail in running a Spread is not in doing what that team can do, & really understanding how things work. We all think we know how teach 4 verts, or Bubble; how many of us actually do?

Joe

I don't but that's why I'm here trying to learn.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Hurricane

I get you! After 40 years I am still learning. I am smart enough to know I never thought up a play, I only steal from the best.

Joe

ReplyQuote
bignose
(@bignose)
Silver

Far too often we see coaches who have unrealistic expectations about what their kids can do. They think with their hearts, rather than  using their brains.

They also have some unrealistic aspirations about their ability to teach.
I certainly fell into that category as a younger coach. It took an 0-10 season to show me how much I didn't know.

Don't want to sell the kids short, but have to keep in mind that you can't keep pounding a square peg into a round hole.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

S

It also comes down to how you are coaching it. You spoke out flanking your QB's arm, that's a coaching issue. Now you know that, but the OC still doesn't. It's a matter of doing what you can do as a team & doing it well. Not every team is the image I have of them rather they are what they are.

joe

ReplyQuote
Hurricane
(@hurricane)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Hurricane

I get you! After 40 years I am still learning. I am smart enough to know I never thought up a play, I only steal from the best.

Joe

The hard part for me is coaching up a QB , which has been my goal this off season to learn up on.  Fortunately spring football in the county is over after today and I can go to my local HS and get some help from the header who had somewhat of a career as a QB.

ReplyQuote
bignose
(@bignose)
Silver

S

It also comes down to how you are coaching it. You spoke out flanking your QB's arm, that's a coaching issue. Now you know that, but the OC still doesn't. It's a matter of doing what you can do as a team & doing it well. Not every team is the image I have of them rather they are what they are.

joe

That's one of many reasons why he is gone, I am un-retired, and we are going back to a run based offense!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: