Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Why I invited CoachMH to this forum

Page 1 / 2

DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Up until now I have not been able to find a Spread/Pistol coach for this forum.  That doesn't mean they were turning me down.  It means I wasn't asking.  The problem was I could beat what I was seeing other Spread coaches doing.  That doesn't mean they couldn't, and weren't, beating others.  I've seen some pretty well coached youth Spread.  It's just that I knew how to throw a monkey wrench into what they were doing and it was always the same wrench. 

And what were they doing?  Lining up two MPP's at SE that were so far out the QB couldn't even hit them (They'd have dropped the ball anyway.).  This predictably forced them into putting their talent at slot who then had to do everything from catch passes to running motion sweep and now I knew who I had to cover.  They were also dependent upon outside contain rushing DE's (Who could never get there in time even if unblocked) to whom they often screened over to the back for a big gain.  I could beat these guys blindfolded.  I saw no reason to give them space on Dumcoach.com no matter how many games they won.

And this forum has been around longer than Spread.  I have had lots of years to look for one that works.

Coach MH came to my attention on Zone blocking debates.  I had created a "Zone blocking" section here and, after awhile, we had two problems come up.  First, great as it looked on TV, Outside Zone was not a youth play.  Second, a well known and respected coach gave us three different ways to Inside Zone block and then told us all three were the same.  No... They weren't.  Someone had to come up with a simple Zone Blocking attack that worked and clear up all the mud.  MH seemed to be that guy.  But I still didn't contact him because I assumed, as a high school coach, he was doing stuff the rest of us couldn't.

The next time we met was in my Run and Shoot forum in which I was experimenting with Michael's huge splits with youth players and there was MH (The only coach to show.).  He knew about wide splits AND Zone blocking.  This is really a HUGE combination.  Because Zone blocking needs big splits (The smaller the splits, the worse it works.).  But, as soon as you introduce wide splits, the zone blocking suddenly gets harder to do with youth linemen.  Ohio State can do it but the Catholic nuns football team?  Not hardly.

But there MH was, watching what I was doing when I had about two weeks experience at wide splits to his ten years.  And, after awhile it became obvious he had already solved the problem that I thought I was the leading edge of addressing.  I still finished it but now I'm thinking, "This is the guy."

So I call him up (He's redoing his bedroom) but I'm still not inviting him to do this forum.  I gave him a couple of test questions first.  Just because you're a success at high school doesn't make you a youth success (Some are.  Some aren't.).

Long story short, he passed.  He passed big time.  No wrong answers. 
A lot of youth coaches want to run run spread/pistol but, if it can't be made to work at the youth level, those coaches are wasting their time and so was this forum's section on "Zone" blocking.

MH solves both these problems.  The Dumcoach forum gets to provide a youth spread/pistol that works and the members can run one that works.  From his running game to his screen game to his passing game, MH offers a complete system and one we can all coach.

When he sent me his power point I sat down and read the whole thing at once because it was all so easy.  I was going "Uh! Uh!  Yep!  Uh! Uh! Yep!  Yep!"  After abut 40 slides though I was starting to slow down and go "Huh?"  It wasn't the material.  It was me going too fast.  What I needed to have done was STOP, TAKE A BREAK, AND DRAW IT UP (Usually against your own defense.). Then I could have gone back, started up again, with a fresh start.  And if I made that mistake, others could too.  So I told him to put the page breaks in.  I didn't want to lose anybody when its actually this SIMPLE. 

Only the BEST youth coaches in the country get asked to host here and MH is in that circle. 

He didn't pay me to say this about him.  He both earned and proved it.  He was my "2014 Youth Coach of the Year" even though he was a high school coach.  And I'm sticking by him.  I think he's going to produce some winners.

He gets my appreciation and two thumbs up!  🙂

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Joe is the man.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Clark

Thank you very much for the kind words. I truly appreciate the accolades, but I'm just a simple football coach. This season will be my 38th, if I can count right, & although I am coaching big time HS football I have always considered myself a Youth Coach. I have the chance to be a HS coach because I am retired, prior I could only dabble in HS coaching because I have a family to support.

When I first started coaching I was very fortunate to have mentors who always took the time to help younger coaches. I owe them a large debt, & in some way being here is a way for me to repay them. We all had to start somewhere, & we all have made mistakes along the way. If a young coach can learn from my mistakes then I have accomplished something.

This forum has allowed me to interact & meet some of the best football coaches in the country. I have been fortunate to meet several whom I call friend. Men like Dave Cisar, Doug Brown, & Matt Cale & Rob are people I respect & speak to on an almost daily basis.  Meeting Michael has been a great experience. Dan Lyons has made me change my opinion of lawyers. Meeting Kyle, Dusty, John & others in Chicago was a treat.

I have spoken to Jack Gregory &  Dave Potter on the phone numerous times & hope to have the pleasure of meeting them. Same goes for you & Mike. Overall being here has made a better coach. I only hope that in some small way I can live up to everyone's expectations.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
MightyJoeYoung
(@mightyjoeyoung)
Bronze

"I only hope that in some small way I can live up to everyone's expectations."

Well, you certainly exceeded mine, Thanks for the conversation yesterday.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

K

Anytime!

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold

Since we are all sucking up to Joe today....

Honestly, though, thanks for our conversation yesterday. It was very insightful and helped me put some thoughts together about perimeter play on offense.

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant

"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Matt

No Problem.

Joe

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold

Dumcoach or Joe,

Can one of you point me in the direction of the running zone with wide splits conversation? I must be overlooking it.

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Matt

I'm sure it was one of the many  Zone threads, It seemed like there was a different one every day with someone telling someone that can't possibly work. So it many  not be exactly titled correctly. Basically, some of my Zone ideas were radical. Having the back read the first Inside Backer, Zone or Stretch leaving out Outside Zone, not counting, no covered uncovered. I never said any of those idea wouldn't work, only that for us on grass I knew what worked.

None of my concepts were original, it was all things I learned from some great coaches. It was also things I learned from trial & error. When we first started using Zone scheme I honestly thought it would never work. I didn't think HS or Youth players could do it. We probably tortured those first few teams by being so anal about our approach. I can remember cutting PVC pipes to 6" lengths to be sure our Zone steps were exactly 6". Now, we just focus more on the how part of things.

Joe

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Matt

I'm sure it was one of the many  Zone threads, It seemed like there was a different one every day with someone telling someone that can't possibly work. So it many  not be exactly titled correctly. Basically, some of my Zone ideas were radical. Having the back read the first Inside Backer, Zone or Stretch leaving out Outside Zone, not counting, no covered uncovered. I never said any of those idea wouldn't work, only that for us on grass I knew what worked.

None of my concepts were original, it was all things I learned from some great coaches. It was also things I learned from trial & error. When we first started using Zone scheme I honestly thought it would never work. I didn't think HS or Youth players could do it. We probably tortured those first few teams by being so anal about our approach. I can remember cutting PVC pipes to 6" lengths to be sure our Zone steps were exactly 6". Now, we just focus more on the how part of things.

Joe

Joe

Im glad you mentioned this. Coaches poked at me so much I stopped posting in the Zone section. I never counted because it added a nonsensical step and we stopped reading DLM halfway thru the first season I taught Zone because it was just ....easier for the RB to read the LB'r.  Insisted on progressive splits. Yet I was told by the purists that I was over thinking everything and not doing things right. Yet when I did things "right" the results were iffy. Then you showed up. Hopefully this Section can clean things up for the zone people and give the Forum some direction. I gave up trying years ago.  I always used covered / uncovered but I do like your individual combo calls. That seems WAY easier...even for the little dudes.  Maybe even ....especially for the little dudes.

Here is my hidden agenda...and this popped into my head the very minute Clark asked me to build this Section....if you can get coaches teaching zone principles earlier rather than later...meaning elementary school level rather than middle school level....we will all get a better barometer and stop all the infighting. The Zone Section on this Forum reminds me of the Delphi DW Forum about 10 years ago when everyone was infighting over blocking rules....BIG TIME. Now that has all gone away because Camps were created and everyone is happy. So...like it or not....Im hoping for a Joe Camp to emerge.  😉 😉 That will be a good thing because zone is all around the better.....just very misunderstood right now.

I also honestly believe zone principles can work with just about any Offense too....I didnt used to think that way. SW....why not!  I honestly think that O would run better and be a whole lot easier to teach using IZ and OZ. So I don't think your Section....over time...will be limited to the traditional zone " formations". It only takes one coach to ask....what if?...and not get run over by the purists.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold

I'm with you guys on not counting. It seems like when you count that you're attempting to add man rules to a zone concept. It seems worthless.

I teach inside zone: block nearest Dlineman
Outside zone: block first Dlineman head up to playside.

That's about all you need.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Mike

I understand where the purest come from, & I can gladly accept what works for them. What has always bothered me is someone saying what works for me is wrong. If it works proven on grass I don't see how someone can say it doesn't.

The last time Coach Tricket came through, he sat with his cowboy boots up on the HC's desk. He asked me to cover something on the board for him. As I did, I prefaced it with I know everyone else does it different, he laffed & & said everyone else is full of sh!t too.  So, the key is find what works & just make it better.

Joe

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Mike

I understand where the purest come from, & I can gladly accept what works for them. What has always bothered me is someone saying what works for me is wrong. If it works proven on grass I don't see how someone can say it doesn't.

The last time Coach Tricket came through, he sat with his cowboy boots up on the HC's desk. He asked me to cover something on the board for him. As I did, I prefaced it with I know everyone else does it different, he laffed & & said everyone else is full of sh!t too.  So, the key is find what works & just make it better.

Joe

Joe

And because of the level you coach at.....no one here really poked at you.  😉

So my hope is....that will change over time. It all starts with some Forum Members running your proven philosophies.  🙂

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Mike

I, too would be interested how that would work out. I am actually working editing video as we speak trying to get ready for a presentation.

Joe

ReplyQuote
durfee4
(@durfee4)
Platinum

MHCoach is the best for this thread hands down. Now Dum Coach mentioned something intriging??? why Ohio State and Catholic? lots of Catholic schools in Columbus,are you and did you play/coach here in Ohio?

Success only comes before Work in the dictionary

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: