Notifications

3-4 pass coverages  

RSS

bigblue27
(@bigblue27)
Copper
June 10, 2016 7:49 pm  

Are 3-4 defenses more conducive to playing zone coverage (other than disguising looks)?
Is there any particular coverage that's better suited for 3-4?

Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold
Head Coach
June 11, 2016 8:11 am  

I would say cover 3 is best bet using SS as a hammer type on a TE if they have one it's a very flexible Defense IMHO......

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
December 19, 2016 6:13 am  

Are 3-4 defenses more conducive to playing zone coverage (other than disguising looks)?
Is there any particular coverage that's better suited for 3-4?

The 5-2 and 3-4 has traditionally been Cov. 3 defense at the HS level and below.  That's part of where the "disguise" thing comes in.

The old school 5-2 and 3-4 defenses (5-2 Monster, 5-2 Slant/Angle, 5-2 Okie) had this pretty simplified.  They would set the SS to the field and use him to cover the flat, slant the DL and field OLB (or DE, in 5-2 terminology) away from him, and drop the weak OLB/DE to the flat on the boundary while the ILBs covered the hooks.

There's even the "Brain Dead Defense" out there that basically just aligns the SOLB in a 6 tech over the TE and the DE and NG head up on the C and Ts, then just slants weak while the secondary rolls to Cov. 3--SS rolls up into strong flat, FS rolls to MOF, weak OLB drops to the flat, and the ILBs both take the hook zones.

Coaches who run the BDD add a Cov. 2 and a slant to the field against spread teams (field OLB would widen with the #2 receiver and drop to the flat), with a check to slide the front over and get a 4-4 against double tight, and that's about their entire scheme at the HS level.

Of course, you can play Man out of any defense.  With 4 DBs, you can play Cov. 0 against spread looks and Cov. 1 against 2 backs all night long if you've got the kids for it.  You will see some issues when you try to play Cov. 1 against 1 back offenses, though, because of how you account for the 4th guy while keeping that S in the middle of the field.

About the only time the 3-4 starts to get tricky is with pattern matching Quarters coverage because it creates some conflicts for the OLB or ILB on the boundary.  College teams, like Alabama, overcome this, but it's still a lot to teach to a HS kid or below.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
December 19, 2016 7:04 am  

Its no different then 4-3. Still 7 man box still 4 spoke secondary.

Wade Phillips a pro 34 coach and Belicheck both run a lot of man with their 34 packages. So to say one is more favorable to zone then another is not really true.

My experiance at the high school level was as a 34 olb coach. We ran predominantly cover 3 variations.  When i coached freshman we ran cover 1 in the same scheme. Just cover1, no lb pressures, nothing fancy, games up front and solid play in the back.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
December 19, 2016 7:47 am  

Its no different then 4-3. Still 7 man box still 4 spoke secondary.

Wade Phillips a pro 34 coach and Belicheck both run a lot of man with their 34 packages. So to say one is more favorable to zone then another is not really true.

My experiance at the high school level was as a 34 olb coach. We ran predominantly cover 3 variations.  When i coached freshman we ran cover 1 in the same scheme. Just cover1, no lb pressures, nothing fancy, games up front and solid play in the back.

I grew up playing DL/DE in an old 5-2 (which is the same thing) for 3 years of HS ball and I coached ILBs in a 3-4 at my first HS gig.  The issue for us was which LB takes that 4th guy if we wanted to be in Cov. 1 and keep the S in the MOF.

We wanted the OLB to always contain and box everything to the inside.  The problem is, if you put the OLB out there on that 4th receiver in man, it could screw up contain and run force, because our big 3-4 DEs weren't athletic enough to always keep everything inside of them.  If you put the ILB out there, then the fits box got messed up.  If you have more athletic DEs who can contain, then it's easier to do this, but you can be weaker off tackle.

Probably the best way I know to do it is to do it field/boundary and only walk out the OLB on the boundary, since 80% of the snaps are on one hash or the other, anyway, and that'll keep him from being widened so far out.  Then you slant the DL to the boundary in Cov. 1 and bring the OLB off from the field.

So it's not hard to fix... it's just something you have to work out.

Quarters can get screwy if you want to play that in a 3-4, though, because you wind up having to cheat both your OLBs out of the box on #2 if you want to keep it simple, then you wind up having to slant your DL to the field to fix the numbers there and ensure you keep contain.  Figuring out where the 4th rusher is coming from while staying both gap and coverage sound can be a pain.

A 4-3 tends to adjust a little more easily because if you have 1 back, you'll typically have more athletic DEs on both sides to set an edge and you can just slide an OLB out there while the DL and 2 remaining ILBs play the 6 gaps.  A 4-3 is also a much more natural fit for Quarters coverage: OLBs wall #2 on each side and the S plays Quarters behind it.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
December 19, 2016 8:34 am  

I grew up playing DL/DE in an old 5-2 (which is the same thing) for 3 years of HS ball and I coached ILBs in a 3-4 at my first HS gig.  The issue for us was which LB takes that 4th guy if we wanted to be in Cov. 1 and keep the S in the MOF.

We wanted the OLB to always contain and box everything to the inside.  The problem is, if you put the OLB out there on that 4th receiver in man, it could screw up contain and run force, because our big 3-4 DEs weren't athletic enough to always keep everything inside of them.  If you put the ILB out there, then the fits box got messed up.  If you have more athletic DEs who can contain, then it's easier to do this, but you can be weaker off tackle.

Probably the best way I know to do it is to do it field/boundary and only walk out the OLB on the boundary, since 80% of the snaps are on one hash or the other, anyway, and that'll keep him from being widened so far out.  Then you slant the DL to the boundary in Cov. 1 and bring the OLB off from the field.

So it's not hard to fix... it's just something you have to work out.

Quarters can get screwy if you want to play that in a 3-4, though, because you wind up having to cheat both your OLBs out of the box on #2 if you want to keep it simple, then you wind up having to slant your DL to the field to fix the numbers there and ensure you keep contain.  Figuring out where the 4th rusher is coming from while staying both gap and coverage sound can be a pain.

A 4-3 tends to adjust a little more easily because if you have 1 back, you'll typically have more athletic DEs on both sides to set an edge and you can just slide an OLB out there while the DL and 2 remaining ILBs play the 6 gaps.  A 4-3 is also a much more natural fit for Quarters coverage: OLBs wall #2 on each side and the S plays Quarters behind it.

We always had at least 4 rushing

Our "panther" or field olb was in a 6i with run responsibility to back out

Our will or boundary olb had edge rush responsibility keying off of #2.  Only vs teams in mid field or by game plan did we walk out a olb to align off of #2. If we did it was the will.

To comply with the same rules as a freshman dc.

Panther stayed but will, will detach for #2, vs trips near mlb will adjust to key #3.

So vs #2 boundary in backfield or te you have a 50
Vs #2 in a slot you have what looks like a 44.

The will lb was a strong safety type player for this reason at the varisty level.

So like i said to get back to the original post...you can use any coverage just need to know what kinda player ya got and what youre comfy teaching

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Share: