Notifications

Coach Mountjoy-coverages  

RSS

center
(@center)
Copper
March 2, 2013 1:10 pm  

Coach, in your 8 man front what coverages do you feel you need to have to deal with the modern spread passing game in addition to cover 3 and 1.  We are dealing mainly with 2by2 and 3 by 1 formations.

Thanks.

Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum
March 2, 2013 1:15 pm  

WE prefer Cover 1 (in base package); Cover 0 in MAX/BLITZ (so we can send one more than you can block);  & SOME (but very little) Cover 3 or Cover 2.

I will attach ALL our coverages (with adjustments).  Will also attach our MAN/FREE TECHNIQUES (our BASE coverage).  This is ALL that is in our coaching notebook (on the high school AND college level), & should be sufficient to understand (shown vs. 2x2 & 3x1, AND motion adjustments).  These are used from our 4-2-5, AND the 4-3 we can get to JUST by sliding 3 LBers over a little.

If these leave any questions unanswered - prefer you PHONE (I HATE typing)!  804-740-4479 between 11 AM & 6 PM/EASTERN.

SEE ATTACHMENTS (for Covers 0, 1, 2, 3), & Cover 1 TECHNIQUE!

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
center
(@center)
Copper
March 2, 2013 2:44 pm  

Coach Mountjoy, thanks for the info.  I will look it over and get back to you if I have any questions.

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum
March 2, 2013 2:57 pm  

You are welcome.  NOTE that the Cover 2 is HARDEST to teach, AND, adjust!!!

We prefer Cover 1 & Cover 0.

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
center
(@center)
Copper
April 15, 2013 6:14 pm  

Coach Mountjoy or any others, in cover 1 is there ever a situation that the FS is on man coverage with a receiver?

For example if it is split trips (all three of the trips are split) does the inside LB go out to cover #3 or would you ever bring the FS down to cover?

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum
April 15, 2013 6:34 pm  

Coach Mountjoy or any others, in cover 1 is there ever a situation that the FS is on man coverage with a receiver?

For example if it is split trips (all three of the trips are split) does the inside LB go out to cover #3 or would you ever bring the FS down to cover?

Thanks.

NOT IN OUR BASE COVER 1 (ATTACHED).  He is MAN on #2 in Cover 0 MAX/BLITZ. 

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
April 22, 2013 12:59 pm  

Well!  It looks like Bill Mountjoy covered it.  We may never have another coverage post again here,  😀

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum
April 22, 2013 6:40 pm  

Well!  It looks like Bill Mountjoy covered it.  We may never have another coverage post again here,  😀

There is MUCH MORE!  "Quarters", "Quarter-Quarter-Half" (STEELER BASE COVERAGE), ETC.

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum
May 1, 2014 7:20 am  

PRINCIPLES OF MAN COVERAGE FOR INSIDE LINEBACKERS

1. DO NOT GET BEAT DEEP.  KEEP THE RECEIVER IN FRONT OF YOU.

2. EYES SHOULD BE FOCUSED ON RECEIVER’S WAIST.  NOTICE BODY LEAN.  IF RECEIVER SHORTENS STRIDE AND DROPS HIPS, ANTICIPATE CUT.

3. KEEP A SLIGHT INSIDE-OUT CUSHION. 

4. DO NOT LET RECEIVER GET TO A HEAD UP POSITION.

5. WHEN RECEIVER BREAKS, BREAK ON THE SAME ANGLE AS HE DOES.  DO NOT LOOK FOR THE BALL TILL HE LOOKS FOR IT.

6. NEVER BREAK IN FRONT OF THE RECEIVER UNLESS UNLESS YOU CAN GET BOTH HANDS ON THE BALL.

7. IF YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO INTERCEPT, PLAY THE BALL WITH YOUR NEAR ARM AND HOOK THE RECEIVER’S WAIST WITH FAR ARM FOR TACKLE IF NEEDED.

8. KEEP YOUR FEET ACTIVE, DO NOT LET YOUR FEET STOP.  STAY ON THE BALLS OF YOUR FEET.

9. IF BEAT DEEP, DO NOT PANIC, PUT YOUR HEAD DOWN AND CLOSE THE DISTANCE BETWEEN YOU AND THE RECEIVER.  DO NOT LOOK BACK FOR THE BALL.  WHEN THE RECEIVER’S HAND GO UP, PUT YOUR HANDS IN HIS HANDS.  YOUR NUMBER ONE OBJECTIVE AT THIS POINT IS TO CLOSE THE DISTANCE. 

10. TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR ABILITY TO COVER YOUR MAN ONE-ON-ONE.

“REAL MEN PLAY MAN”!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Share: