Notifications

Cover 3 Drills  

RSS

joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
August 15, 2014 11:01 am  

Can someone give me some drills for corners in cover 3 coverage as far as run support/Pass coverage ? Cover 3 is new to me for the most part.

On fades it turns into man but do you have the corner trail the WR on the outside or inside ? Inside I can see them losing the WR when looking back to the ball, outside they can run on their hip and get a hand up….if inside are you having them use their forearm to keep track of the WR and, "nudge" the outside ?

Passio Bellator

CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold
August 15, 2014 2:44 pm  

a big part of cover 3 drills for me is landmark.  its not an absolute but a reference point.  Depending if you play 5 yds(this is our base) or 10 yds on the snap will determine the amount of steps the CB or FS takes. 

have the a CBs read the #1 while back pedaling.  teach them to look for #2 with an inside release of #1.  also teach them the ball can never go outside them( practice an inside out juke vs stalk or lead block)

some rules for thought:

1.  CB passes the slant to the OLB or the FS, the CB cant chase into the FS zone.  If he does the #2 wheel or out route is sure to follow.
2.  FS base alignment is splitting the difference between the widest offensive receivers.
3.  "Hama"  is he alone me alone.  ive run this for years but borrowed the term from clark.  1 lone receiver gets man press coverage.
4.  32 Personel gets invert coverage.  FS moves down to LB.  ive also run a roll coverage with 1 PSCB low, FS and BSCB high.
5.  vs. 2 split receivers ..ie FL/slot.  we challenge the #2 immediately, disrupt bubble screens now.
6.  vs. 2x2 passing teams we can check to freeze(man) coverage to one or both sides.  this gives OC's fits.  Add "ghost"(borrowed the term from texan)  cover 0 and its even tougher.

"Whether you think you can, or cannot, you're probably right."

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
August 15, 2014 3:44 pm  

a big part of cover 3 drills for me is landmark.  its not an absolute but a reference point.  Depending if you play 5 yds(this is our base) or 10 yds on the snap will determine the amount of steps the CB or FS takes. 

have the a CBs read the #1 while back pedaling.  teach them to look for #2 with an inside release of #1.  also teach them the ball can never go outside them( practice an inside out juke vs stalk or lead block)

some rules for thought:

1.  CB passes the slant to the OLB or the FS, the CB cant chase into the FS zone.  If he does the #2 wheel or out route is sure to follow.
2.  FS base alignment is splitting the difference between the widest offensive receivers.
3.  "Hama"  is he alone me alone.  ive run this for years but borrowed the term from clark.  1 lone receiver gets man press coverage.
4.  32 Personel gets invert coverage.  FS moves down to LB.  ive also run a roll coverage with 1 PSCB low, FS and BSCB high.
5.  vs. 2 split receivers ..ie FL/slot.  we challenge the #2 immediately, disrupt bubble screens now.
6.  vs. 2x2 passing teams we can check to freeze(man) coverage to one or both sides.  this gives OC's fits.  Add "ghost"(borrowed the term from texan)  cover 0 and its even tougher.

My DC wants us to read the OT….for a high hat….but everyone stands up on run/pass in our league so I am not a fan of that at all. Thanks for the info. Running out the door to practice so will read this in depth when I get home.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 15, 2014 4:15 pm  

Our corners are secondary contain...3 reads steps backwards. Reading number 1 into the backfield

We make #1 a receiver and have him stalk or run route corners must react
we make #1 a tight end  and him block down on our 7 or reach our spur or release

We then play half shell defense just secondary and lbs vs various runs this week was sweep off tackle and counter

The reads take them where they need to go then we teach pursuit and run fits ...slow mo then 3/4 speed then live

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
JrTitan
(@jrtitan)
Gold
August 15, 2014 6:37 pm  

Can someone give me some drills for corners in cover 3 coverage as far as run support/Pass coverage ? Cover 3 is new to me for the most part.

On fades it turns into man but do you have the corner trail the WR on the outside or inside ? Inside I can see them losing the WR when looking back to the ball, outside they can run on their hip and get a hand up….if inside are you having them use their forearm to keep track of the WR and, "nudge" the outside ?

We taught a man turn - I.e., turn towards the receiver and play a trail technique once #1 breaks his cushion.  When the receiver looks for the ball, he looks for the ball.  Stay on inside hip, "in phase"

"They call it coaching but it is teaching...You do not just tell them...you show them the reasons""You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important."“…you have no bad habits to break...We either coach it or are allowing allowing it to happen.”

ReplyQuote
Share: