Notifications

Cover 3  

RSS

searider86
(@searider86)
Silver
October 25, 2015 8:53 pm  

Is cover 3 versus trips inside the 10 yard line a good coverage or would you audible to something else?
What are the pros/cons for C3 vs trips inside the 10?

Thanks.

"Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority." Vince Lombardi

Michael ODonnell
(@michael-odonnell)
Bronze
October 26, 2015 6:11 am  

Any zone coverage inside the 10-yard line can be tricky because of the cushion you typically allow as well as the seams that are inherently available between zones. However, your defensive thinking should definitely take into account the skill set of the opposing QB and WRs as well as their offensive tendencies. Against some teams, we will play only man while against other teams, we will feel comfortable being in zone.

We are all in this together.Simple is good . . . simpler is better.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
October 26, 2015 12:43 pm  

I think a good bubble screen team would force you to get out of that fast on the goal line. I'm not a fan of cover 3 vs trips anywhere.

ReplyQuote
searider86
(@searider86)
Silver
October 27, 2015 11:08 pm  

Yes.  I watched our high school get torched repeatedly with bubble screen and quicks.  They continually stayed in cover 3.  I couldn't believe it.

"Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority." Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
October 29, 2015 7:24 pm  

Let me ask this question. 

What is you alignment to Trips in Cover 3?  Cover 3 will give up the Bubble Screen, Why?  Because its designed to keep the ball in front of the Defense!  After the pass (Bubble Screen) is completed its all about the Defenses ability to get to the ball!  TACKLE!  I would add that a Corner getting beat in Cover 3 is just as likely to get hammered in Man. 

No Not All!! But, if they're "Flat Footed" and late to turn in Cover 3, what makes you think they will be able to delay the receiver in man?  Are they strong? Can they Jam?  Better yet, if they dont have the "Make Up" speed in Cover 3, what makes you think they will have it in Man? 

I spent the entire year this year working with DB's on Reads and Positioning.  Yet I was frustrated by the inability to use same at times.  I even showed them Man (JAM) and all 6 DB's were getting man handled or flat out beat off the line! 

Coverage is an art that is learned over time.  It makes no difference to me what "Coverage" you choose, its a severe learning process.  Especially the older you get!     

Any DB Coach will tell his DB's you're on an Island all by yourself.  Your imperfections are out in the open for all to see.  Forget the last play and concentrate on the next one!  Sometimes you just have to remember that!  😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
October 30, 2015 3:50 am  

Most cover 3 teams adjust to 1/4,1/4,1/2 vs Trips. Stopping Bubble has nothing to do with playing C3, it's about the LB's & where they line up. 3-3 teams never want to break the 8 man box so typically they play the Spurs with inside leverage on # 3, definitely a bad place for Bubble. When we go 1/4,1/4,1/2 we press #2 with the Spur & he then plays Zone behind it. That is a great adjustment & allows you to beat the bubble back. We will also widen the Sam so in effect it becomes 3-4.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold
October 30, 2015 7:55 am  

Most cover 3 teams adjust to 1/4,1/4,1/2 vs Trips. Stopping Bubble has nothing to do with playing C3, it's about the LB's & where they line up. 3-3 teams never want to break the 8 man box so typically they play the Spurs with inside leverage on # 3, definitely a bad place for Bubble. When we go 1/4,1/4,1/2 we press #2 with the Spur & he then plays Zone behind it. That is a great adjustment & allows you to beat the bubble back. We will also widen the Sam so in effect it becomes 3-4.

Joe

Well put.  This is how I've done it.  It's been very effective.  In the upper levels vs bunch we will let the reciever declare their routes and man cover them as a change up.

"Whether you think you can, or cannot, you're probably right."

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
October 30, 2015 7:59 am  

C

Vs Bunch we press the on Man & will usually stagger the drops.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Share: