Notifications

Coverage question  

RSS

Rockets11
(@rockets11)
Bronze
August 27, 2018 11:41 am  

Coaches, for our second game we play a team that plays most of the time with one WR and they split him out super wide (maybe only 2 yards or so from the sideline).  They never throw to this kid and it looked like they were just trying to widen the corner out for sweep and off tackle plays while burning a couple mpp's. 

My question is where should I position my corners and what should I tell them to do when this happens?  We are a man coverage team, so if they did attempt to throw, the wr would be the corner's responsibility. 

Their QB does not have a very strong arm so if they were to throw this kid, it would have to be on some sort of in breaking route.  Although even that is unlikely.

Thanks

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 27, 2018 11:57 am  

Split the difference at a depth of your lbs

Or

Just blitz that corner

Either works

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Rockets11
(@rockets11)
Bronze
August 28, 2018 6:18 am  

Thanks coach. I will play around with both suggestions  during practice this week.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 28, 2018 6:48 am  

We had a coach in our org that would split out his 2 worst players. Those kids received coaching at all. Anyway, most idiots split two defenders out there. It was blatantly obvious what he was up to. A few guys did ignore them and were now playing 11 in 9. Dumb.
Just friggin dumb.

ReplyQuote
Rockets11
(@rockets11)
Bronze
August 28, 2018 7:15 am  

We had a coach in our org that would split out his 2 worst players. Those kids received coaching at all. Anyway, most idiots split two defenders out there. It was blatantly obvious what he was up to. A few guys did ignore them and were now playing 11 in 9. Dumb.
Just friggin dumb.

Their favorite play is actually a sweep to the same side they split this guy out to. So we will have an extra player sitting in the alley against their bread and butter.

Not overlooking the team but it really is stupid. The two smallest kids switching in and out just standing at least 25 yards away from everybody else with nothing to do

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 28, 2018 7:21 am  

It is bs. A terrible thing to do to those kids. Just screwed up. Be a coach and coach them up so they can contribute something.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
August 28, 2018 7:48 am  

A couple of seasons back we played a team that did the same exact thing...I scouted a couple of games and they never threw the ball to the kid. He did throw the ball to other kids, and I decided the QB did not have the arm to get the ball to him way out there...

We ignored him, did not consider him at all when we aligned on defense. I told the boys we would ignore him until they proved that we couldn't. Halfway through the second quarter, the kid was aligned as a TE 😛

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 28, 2018 8:18 am  

And then you do something to attack him at te as you know he has had zero coaching there.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
August 28, 2018 8:38 am  

And then you do something to attack him at te as you know he has had zero coaching there.

Exactly 🙂

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Share: