covering the spread with the 5-3  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

jlofting
(@jlofting)
Lurker
August 24, 2013 9:24 pm  

Dear Coaches
My Head Coach has elected to run the 5-3 defense, and we got picked apart today in a scrimmage. Can anyone suggest some resources for zone coverage and training? I believe I have some answers up my sleeve based on my experiences with the 46D, but am looking for suggestions and advice.
Thank you

Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver
August 25, 2013 4:24 am  

Dear Coaches
My Head Coach has elected to run the 5-3 defense, and we got picked apart today in a scrimmage. Can anyone suggest some resources for zone coverage and training? I believe I have some answers up my sleeve based on my experiences with the 46D, but am looking for suggestions and advice.
Thank you

Pattern reading is the answer instead of spot dropping if opponents are true spread throwing team.

Todd

ReplyQuote
jlofting
(@jlofting)
Lurker
August 25, 2013 2:08 pm  

I was amazed at how they read our drops and zones, the fact that my kids panicked and running more man did not help. Not sure I completely understand your reply of pattern reading. Can you suggest any resources for study.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 27, 2013 10:30 am  

Never zone a spread team they want that. They don't wannt get chucked off the line

Send 6 play cover 0 go balls out

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 27, 2013 12:44 pm  

Many high school teams(well coached ones at that) need a bunch of time to get good at pattern reading. I am not sure most youth teams would have the time and even less have a db coach that can teach it.

ReplyQuote
jlofting
(@jlofting)
Lurker
September 11, 2013 9:23 pm  

Thanks Coaches. i have put in edge twists and sunts a plenty along with worked all week on slamming their receivers at the line. Figure we got to take it to them, and take away their advanage.

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
September 17, 2013 5:42 am  

We are a 53 team but have started to adopt a few things over the past season or so.  We now slide our 53 to an under front.  Against a 2x2 spread team we will slide the front away from the RB.  This puts our DE on that side on air and so he plays like a LB and the backside LB lines up like a over hang out side the 5 tech to the RB side.  So our 53 has morphed into a strange 34/43 type defense against spread.

Now we do play Cov 3 out of it and our 7th graders have sort of started pattern reading on their own.  I'm not sure if we will go to it this year but when they our 8th graders they will be able to patter read.

ReplyQuote
flosman
(@flosman)
Silver
September 17, 2013 7:55 am  

We are a 53 team but have started to adopt a few things over the past season or so.  We now slide our 53 to an under front.  Against a 2x2 spread team we will slide the front away from the RB.  This puts our DE on that side on air and so he plays like a LB and the backside LB lines up like a over hang out side the 5 tech to the RB side.  So our 53 has morphed into a strange 34/43 type defense against spread.

Now we do play Cov 3 out of it and our 7th graders have sort of started pattern reading on their own.  I'm not sure if we will go to it this year but when they our 8th graders they will be able to patter read.

This is the right track IMO. Against a good 2x2 team you would have to make a couple of choices if you are a 5-3 D. You simply can't run the 8 in the box if the opponent is any good at all. What ever box you end up using is determined by your and your oponent's personnel strengths and weaknesses.

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum
September 18, 2013 5:12 pm  

Dear Coaches
Thank you

4-2-5 with Cover 1 MAN/FREE does nicely!

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold
December 9, 2013 5:53 am  

rolling into a cover 2 or just a tampa style 2 from cover 3 is pretty easy to teach and has been very effective for us.

"Whether you think you can, or cannot, you're probably right."

ReplyQuote
Coach Big B
(@theredzoneshow)
Gold
December 9, 2013 6:33 am  

Never zone a spread team they want that. They don't wannt get chucked off the line

Send 6 play cover 0 go balls out

We loved that 🙂 The problem with Zone is that when they begin to formation shift you into conflict with route combos. What the flavor is as of late is the 425. This tend to gave us some fits, but we was able to deal with it the 2nd time we faced it. More and more clinics are pushing this and you're able to defend better. The other system is the 353. The best advice is route concept that another coach talked about. Check with Coach Mcnew and listen to the Okla. St. coach interview on my show last week. He spoke about this concept and he also is speaking on it at Frank Glazier this season at Atl. (Coach Malone) Coach Mcnew is the best when it comes to coverages. www.coachmcnew.com Email him and he will help you with this as well.

The Red Zone Show (Host/Producer)"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit." Coach Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
December 11, 2013 9:47 am  

We loved that 🙂 The problem with Zone is that when they begin to formation shift you into conflict with route combos. What the flavor is as of late is the 425. This tend to gave us some fits, but we was able to deal with it the 2nd time we faced it. More and more clinics are pushing this and you're able to defend better. The other system is the 353. The best advice is route concept that another coach talked about. Check with Coach Mcnew and listen to the Okla. St. coach interview on my show last week. He spoke about this concept and he also is speaking on it at Frank Glazier this season at Atl. (Coach Malone) Coach Mcnew is the best when it comes to coverages. www.coachmcnew.com Email him and he will help you with this as well.

I have never had an issue covering spread teams in ZONE...matter of fact we have had far more success against better coached teams playing them in zone verse man coverage. 

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
December 11, 2013 10:06 am  

Jack

I always played Spread teams in Zone coverage at the youth level. We never had a problem, & usually because we saw it everyday at a high level we would crush it. I think what happens sometimes is youth coaches worry about how to defend something they forget what they do best.

It's similar to what we do on offense, when we see Zone coverage we will do what works best against it. We still have to execute it, it almost becomes cat & mouse.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Coach Big B
(@theredzoneshow)
Gold
December 12, 2013 6:54 am  

Jack

I always played Spread teams in Zone coverage at the youth level. [glow=red,2,300]We never had a problem, & usually because we saw it everyday at a high level we would crush it. [/glow] I think what happens sometimes is youth coaches worry about how to defend something they forget what they do best.

It's similar to what we do on offense, when we see Zone coverage we will do what works best against it. We still have to execute it, it almost becomes cat & mouse.

Joe

This was my point. When we played against zone that's all we practice against. The plays I called were ones that flooded zones well or if it was man we would generate picks/rubs. The teams we would have a hard time with if they just had grown men at the line that generated pressure without blitzing. I don't doubt that zone would work or can. We just never had an issue with zone unless the defensive line could generate pressure without blitzing.

The Red Zone Show (Host/Producer)"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit." Coach Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold
February 14, 2015 5:19 pm  

A very simple way to cover spread with the 53.....we call it "Lock".  One OLB covers a split out #2 and locks man coverage on him.  That leaves the cover 3 shell good to go.

"Whether you think you can, or cannot, you're probably right."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: