Notifications

Defensive backs - how do I teach them to attack the ball/be physical?  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

Andrew76
(@andrew76)
Silver
September 30, 2015 12:44 pm  

My DBs are too polite, too afraid of PI calls.  I'm not a great DB coach.  What would you train them on, or what drills could I run to fix this?  I have athletes wo can get to the ball -- they're just too nice.

We are Cover 3

Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
September 30, 2015 1:43 pm  

I think being nice is how you end up at DB rather than LB.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
September 30, 2015 7:00 pm  

I think being nice is how you end up at DB rather than LB.

Lol. Bigger the puss the deeper you are.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Andrew76
(@andrew76)
Silver
October 1, 2015 8:20 am  

Not the case here.  It has to be a coaching thing.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
October 1, 2015 9:42 am  

My DBs are too polite, too afraid of PI calls.  I'm not a great DB coach.  What would you train them on, or what drills could I run to fix this?  I have athletes wo can get to the ball -- they're just too nice.

We are Cover 3

Have they been called alto for PI? If so then they are being too aggressive to the football so I am confused.

Spacing is everything when it comes to covering WR's but that is the really simple answer. It all depends on how you play your coverage's.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
October 1, 2015 9:55 am  

When I have seen our guys being worried about PI, it has been because they were too focused on covering a man.  In our Cover 3, we are covering a zone and we want our CB's to get appropriate depth so that no one gets behind them (unless it is out of range for the QB's arm). 

However, the big part is that they need to be breaking on the ball when it gets in the air and not focusing on what the receiver is doing.  So, we rep with both our CB's and OLB's with them making their reads based on the QB's eyes and focus, then they break on the ball once it is in the air.  Initially, we do this drill with no receivers as we want them focusing on the QB, their zone and breaking on the ball.

When you rep with your CB's, you might want to look at how they are doing their reads without any receivers.  Then, when they break on the ball, they are focusing solely on the ball.  I am knocking on wood, but we have had dozens of INT's and only one PI in 3 years. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
October 1, 2015 10:00 am  

When I have seen our guys being worried about PI, it has been because they were too focused on covering a man.  In our Cover 3, we are covering a zone and we want our CB's to get appropriate depth so that no one gets behind them (unless it is out of range for the QB's arm). 

However, the big part is that they need to be breaking on the ball when it gets in the air and not focusing on what the receiver is doing.  So, we rep with both our CB's and OLB's with them making their reads based on the QB's eyes and focus, then they break on the ball once it is in the air.  Initially, we do this drill with no receivers as we want them focusing on the QB, their zone and breaking on the ball.

When you rep with your CB's, you might want to look at how they are doing their reads without any receivers.  Then, when they break on the ball, they are focusing solely on the ball.  I am knocking on wood, but we have had dozens of INT's and only one PI in 3 years.

Yah...Im not the greatest DB coach out there but I can coach em up within my system. Cover 3 to me doesn't really mean much.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
October 1, 2015 8:05 pm  

Don't bark at them for pictures calls... never bark at a player for a penalty bc next play they're gonna do the opposite and play worse.

#michaelsbookofcoaching

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver
October 2, 2015 5:02 am  

PI in youth isn't PI in pros.  the rule generally is, they can make contact until the ball is in the air.

we take advantage of this with aggressive press coverage in an attempt to delay the reviever's release.  many youth receivers have never faced true PRESS coverage, where they are not allowed to release.  this alone wrecks most pass plays.  we then coach our DBs to run with receiver after release, watching their helmet until they turn their head(which is usually before the ball is released) and only then attempt to make a play on the ball.

this isn't perfect, and vs a great passing team, we might get burned.  but so far this year we have only allowed one pass play greater than 10 yards(and it was a heck of a play by the opposition-but our guy was still right there to make the tackle)

I am a career lineman, know very little about being a DB, and our DB coach never played football, so this isn't something you need to be Darell Revis to teach.  Our DBs are insanely aggressive in the pass game.  it may hurt us at some point, but not yet.

Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver
October 2, 2015 5:04 am  

and PS we are in cover zero most of the time. 

Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
October 2, 2015 5:06 am  

What's wrong with a pass interference once in a while?

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
October 2, 2015 5:27 am  

What's wrong with a pass interference once in a while?

Well, the 15 yards are tough to give up given that pass completion rates are usually relatively low.  Other than that, I would be fine giving up 15 yards if my team was just super aggressive and preventing any big plays and getting interceptions.

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
October 2, 2015 9:22 am  

Attack outside-in aiming for the outside hip and "EYES TO THE THIGHS".

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
October 2, 2015 11:16 am  

Lol. Bigger the puss the deeper you are.

I had to reread that statement.  😮

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
October 2, 2015 3:44 pm  

I had to reread that statement.  😮

Ha ha. Didn't even notice that.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: