Notifications

Defensive backs - how do I teach them to attack the ball/be physical?  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
October 5, 2015 3:38 am  

I disagree, but not where you think.  from what I've seen, and it seems the idea of this thread is, kids in youth zone tend to stand around flat footed and not react aggressively to players in their zone-and that's if they are in their zone to begin with.  from what I've seen, it's harder to get kids to do their job in zone than it is to teach man. 

maybe you are just really good at teaching zone.  other coaches seem to have problems teaching it effectively.

as far as your assessment of our man coverage, you are probably right.  we do a good job of delaying WR/TE release, and we get good pressure on the passer.  that's what we rely on, and vs a great passing team it might not be enough.  but then, if I scouted a great passing team, we'd probably do things different.

I don't teach my kids to react to players in their zone. I teach them to read the QB and get to the right spot in their zone and react to the BALL when it is thrown. We work on breaking on the ball at the right time and having a zone coverage area that gives them the best chance to make a play that is thrown in their zone.

With our receivers, we love man coverage.

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver
October 5, 2015 3:49 am  

well, like I said, It sounds like you are pretty good at teaching zone.  last year we ran 4-4, and our linebackers had similar rules to what you describe, and it worked fairly well-but as you point out, we weren't exactly going up against tom brady.

my statement isn't that zone is uncoachable, but only that what I've seen coaching the last 5 years, a lot of zone teams seem very tentative.  and since this thread asked about that, I suppose we are responding in two different ways-i'm saying we play hyper aggressive man coverage, and  you are saying you have good luck with zone.

I suppose it's only natural we both think our way is easier, since that's what we are familiar with.  as for your O vs our D?  I guess we'll never know πŸ˜›

Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
October 5, 2015 3:16 pm  

S

Or you could suggest they watch NFL DB's and see how they do it.  πŸ™‚

Yup and I can play my safety 20 yards off the ball too.  I get it ya'll think I'm nut's!  Just for the record, I really hate whiny receivers!  The NFL has sold out for the 40 to 35 game.  For me at least, its not exciting, its boring as hell!  Might as well blow off the game until there is about 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter!  He who has the ball last!  πŸ™

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
October 5, 2015 3:17 pm  

S

S

Yup and I can play my safety 20 yards off the ball too.  I get it ya'll think I'm nut's!  Just for the record, I really hate whiny receivers!  The NFL has sold out for the 40 to 35 game.  For me at least, its not exciting, its boring as hell!  Might as well blow off the game until there is about 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter!  He who has the ball last!  πŸ™

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze
October 5, 2015 6:36 pm  

To the OP:  Tie CoachDP's  'Whose Ball' drill or some other aggresive and competitive drill to whatever coverage you're using.  I've taught zone and man.  I prefer 'man coverage.  It's not because I think 'man' coverage is better.  I just get a bigger kick out of teaching it.  It's a more involved process with your players than when I teach zone.  Teaching man coverage is like teaching a martial arts class.  Teaching zone coverage is like teaching a drafting class.

This season, I'm teaching zone because we don't have as dominant a frontline as we had last season.  Last season, I taught the DB's man because we could get to the QB in a hurry.  I didn't want the other team's WR releasing downfield.  We didn't get many INT's.  But, we got a lot of sacks.

This season, we're in zone.  We've only played two games.  But, we've gotten an INT (one for a TD) in each game.  The other teams quit throwing pretty quickly after they eat an INT.  We're in a heavy two TE,  power run league.

β€œIt is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: