Notifications

How I Teach Match Coverage  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
February 20, 2015 4:24 pm  

The first point I want to make is that in many ways match is simply a variation of banjo. This is important because I try to reinforce to my dbs that after the patterns have dispersed we are in man to man coverage. We are only running match coverage so that we can out leverage receivers.

Here's the rules I teach:

Corners:
1. read second man from the sideline (#2).
2. If 2 is vertical, I'm vertical.
3. If 2 breaks inside, I lock on 1.
4. If 2 breaks outside and 1 is short, I attack 2's route.
5. If 2 breaks outside and 1 is vertical, I'm vertical.
6. If 1 sits down, yell "china" to alert the flat defender.
7. If 1 breaks inside, yell "in" to alert the flat defender.

Flat player:
1. If 2 is vertical, ride him 10-12, then get underneath #1's route.
2. If 2 breaks outside, open hip and look up 1, if 1 is vertical, attack 2. If 1 is breaking back inside (slant), run through it to number 2. 
3. Immediately come off 2 on a china or in call, and pick up 1.

Inside LBs:
1. Open up to the hash mark and get 10-12 yards depth.
2. Key 3-2-1.
3. 3 is normally the RB. If he breaks outside, look for the new number 3 (any player on an inside break).

Safeties:
1. Read 2 to 1.
2. If 2 is vertical, he's mine.
3. If 2 breaks off underneath, attack 1.

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
February 20, 2015 4:29 pm  

I have 5 main coverages (I wouldn't expect anyone on the youth level to carry that many). What's great about it is that they all work off of the same rules.

2 high safeties: Blue (quarters read)
1 high safety: Green (3 read)/White (cover 1)
0 high safeties: load (quarters read)/lock (cover 0)

Our 2 quarters coverages blue and load use the exact same rules. The only difference is that if we call Load, all 3 lbs will stay in the box. If we call blue, the Sam and Will will split the difference.

Green coverage is the same as blue, except the weak safety is now the weak side flat defender, and the FS is keying the guard opposite the RB.

White and Lock are our man to man coverage. And both are actually banjo coverages, depending on the splits of the wrs. If the safeties feel they are too far apart to switch off, we make a "stay" call before the snap. If the safeties feel the wr's are close together, we make a "switch" call before the snap.

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
February 20, 2015 4:31 pm  

Crosser rules remain the same. Since our MLB always opens up to the passing strength, both him and the WLB have to run with the first crosser.

The SLB and the Weak Safety take the second crosser. This is the same in any of our 3 match coverages (load, blue, and green).

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
February 20, 2015 4:33 pm  

The only real change up we use is "blue squat". This turns our quarters read into a two read, and it changes no one except for the corner.

All the corner has to know is that on a squat call, he does not have to play 1 or 2 deep. So he can aggressively jump any hitch or out cut.

Everything else remains the same.

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver
February 21, 2015 3:46 am  

What do you like to do with trips?
What is initial alignment of CB on twins? 
What depth does the read become "vertical"?
How deep is base safey alignment?

Todd

Todd

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
February 21, 2015 4:33 am  

What do you like to do with trips?
What is initial alignment of CB on twins? 
What depth does the read become "vertical"?
How deep is base safey alignment?

Todd

Against trips we call either silver or triangle. Silver is a basic quarters look where we put our SLB over number 2. The safety will read 3-2-1 and the corner will read 1-2-3. The backside safety will play the QB'S eyes and either bracket number 1 or drop deep middle to pick up 3 vertical.

Triangle is our cover 2 variation to trips. This time we put our SLB over number 3. This puts him in a great spot if I want to blitz, but it's even better for coverage. Because he can now see all 3 wrs. So he will collision and ride the number 3 wr 10-12 yards with his eyes on outside on the other two wrs. He's looking to pick up anyone who breaks their route off (3-2-1). The corner does the same
Thing as SLB except he's reading 1-2-3. The trips side safety lines up 10-12 deep and over #2. The backside safety lines up at 10-12 deep over a ghost te and looks to immediately drop deep middle to help with 3 vertical.

The number of wrs doesn't effect our corners alignment. We will be about 7 yards off with either inside or outside leverage depending on the width of the wrs split. We prefer to be outside unless he's very wide.

Vertical is considered beyond lb depth, so 8-12 yards. Some of that depends on how fast your guys can back pedal. If my DBs could stay in their backpedal, because once we open our hips we limit our vision of the field. So at that point my DBs are locked in. It's not an exact science, but it's something the kids get the hang of with reps.

Our deep safeties will be 10-12 deep and over a te or ghost TE. If we call load, the safeties are told to cover down on the slots. Normally we consider this to mean about 7 yards off with inside leverage.

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver
February 21, 2015 4:56 am  

Thank you.
1. If receivers stack, what is your count method? I assume #1 would be closest to the Los
2. Same question for a bunch trips look?

Todd

Todd

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
February 21, 2015 5:02 am  

honestly in the four years I've been running this idk if anyone has ever stacked on us. Probably because we don't press a lot.

But we are more interested in where they end up. For example if it's trip my MLB is looking to cover number 3. So he'd open to the hash mark and pick up whoever came out his way. So the countin still works out because when wrs cross we talk about who is the new number 3 or the new number 2.

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
February 21, 2015 5:20 am  

Todd,

I feel like I could have explained that first post better. We only care about where they end up. So against bunch dubs for example. If the point man breaks outside, he's number one. If he's vertical or inside he's number two.

So we could see the point man vertical with the 2nd man on a quick out. The corner would stay deep (as he does with any vert from 1 on 2). The flat defender would ride him from the inside with eyes on the 2nd man. When he breaks out, the flat defender will open his hips and run to the flats.

We could see the point man break outside. If that happens he's number 1 now. So if he breaks outside and both wrs are underneath the corner picks up the outside release and the flat player picks up the inside release. If either man is deep the corner stays deep and the flat player picks up 1 outside.

If the point man breaks inside he's number two and the flat player will play him (give him up if he crosses) and the corner will play the second wr.

It sounds complicated but we're really just sitting back and waiting for them to break and then playing our areas.

Same thing in trips. We won't bunch up with them. In silver the flat player would press the point man. The corner sits heavy outside and the safety and inside lb are heavy inside leverage. From there we weight for them to break.

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver
February 21, 2015 5:31 am  

Makes perfect sense. Just running through my pass concepts to see which defender ends up on which receiver.

Todd

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
February 21, 2015 5:37 am  

Makes perfect sense. Just running through my pass concepts to see which defender ends up on which receiver.

Safety is 3-2-1. Since 3s vertical, he looks on.

The flat player will open his hips outside with the bubble and look to collision the slant, but not run with it. He has second crosser, so he runs through the slant (violently) to the bubble. The inside linebacker opening to the hash has 3. So the slant becomes 3 and the inside Lb runs with it.

The corner will drop deep and then play back up to the bubble.

Keep em coming. I like to do an offseason rule check to ensure everything works like it should.

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver
February 21, 2015 6:10 am  

Todd

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver
February 21, 2015 6:12 am  

1 more. Probably no different than slant bubble

Todd

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
February 21, 2015 6:15 am  

1 more. Probably no different than slant bubble

Exactly. We collision the slant on our way to the bubble and let the inside line backer run with the slant flat player has arrow.

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
February 21, 2015 6:18 am  

The crosser becomes number 3 so the MLB has him. The curl will have the safety behind it and the flat player under it. The corner will be loose but over top of the flat route. If I call triangle my corner is now a squat corner so he'd be all over the flat route. But normally we will rally to that throw.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: