Notifications

How I Teach Match Coverage  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
February 21, 2015 6:20 am  

The reason I always teach my flat player to run through the slant is because most people read him.

So when he collisions the slant, they throw bubble or arrow. Which is where I want the ball to go. It also buys time for my inside linebacker to get to the slant.

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
February 21, 2015 6:54 am  

The first point I want to make is that in many ways match is simply a variation of banjo. This is important because I try to reinforce to my dbs that after the patterns have dispersed we are in man to man coverage. We are only running match coverage so that we can out leverage receivers.

Here's the rules I teach:

Corners:
1. read second man from the sideline (#2).
2. If 2 is vertical, I'm vertical.
3. If 2 breaks inside, I lock on 1.
4. If 2 breaks outside and 1 is short, I attack 2's route.
5. If 2 breaks outside and 1 is vertical, I'm vertical.
6. If 1 sits down, yell "china" to alert the flat defender.
7. If 1 breaks inside, yell "in" to alert the flat defender.

Flat player:
1. If 2 is vertical, ride him 10-12, then get underneath #1's route.
2. If 2 breaks outside, open hip and look up 1, if 1 is vertical, attack 2. If 1 is breaking back inside (slant), run through it to number 2. 
3. Immediately come off 2 on a china or in call, and pick up 1.

Inside LBs:
1. Open up to the hash mark and get 10-12 yards depth.
2. Key 3-2-1.
3. 3 is normally the RB. If he breaks outside, look for the new number 3 (any player on an inside break).

Safeties:
1. Read 2 to 1.
2. If 2 is vertical, he's mine.
3. If 2 breaks off underneath, attack 1.

Love the post.. great detail...one question

Whos the flat player?

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
February 21, 2015 6:59 am  

That depends on the coverage.

In cover 3 it's my weak safety and slb.

In cover 4 it's my wlb and slb.

So intentionally teach the rule as "flat player does this" that way we can carry over our route reading concepts into different coverages.

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
February 21, 2015 8:14 am  

So intentionally teach the rule as "flat player does this" that way we can carry over our route reading concepts into different coverages.

I ask because you gave out corners and safety rules seperate

So if youre in 2 match corner has flat rules?

Just confused what umbrella you got goin

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
February 21, 2015 8:20 am  

I ask because you gave out corners and safety rules seperate

So if youre in 2 match corner has flat rules?

Just confused what umbrella you got goin

I gave the rules based on quarters, where I would have a safety and a flat player. But even then the safeties rules are very close to that of the flat defender.

Even in "blue squat" our version of two read, the flat rules never apply to the corner. The flat rules are designed to be played inside out. So it's for the player who aligns over the number two wide receiver.

The corners rules are in the same in squat except he no longer has vertical responsibility. So he can now jump a quick out or a quick hitch. In base blue, he has to stay vertical as long as two is vertical.

ReplyQuote
defensewins
(@defensewins)
Silver
May 29, 2015 8:34 am  

Thats good stuff

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
May 29, 2015 8:44 am  

Thats good stuff

Thanks coach.

ReplyQuote
33coach
(@33coach)
Bronze
April 15, 2016 4:03 pm  

1 more. Probably no different than slant bubble

offtopic question - what app did you use to draw these?

STC & TEs coach - Mission Prep HSNewly Converted member to the Church of Saint Tubby

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
February 14, 2018 2:45 am  

offtopic question - what app did you use to draw these?

I'm way late to the party on this one, but I typically use google slides and then I have a football field that I just copy and paste to the background. I could send a template if you'd like.

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver
February 14, 2018 3:36 am  

can you email the template to firstdownfootball@twc.com?

Todd

ReplyQuote
somecoach
(@coach-tony)
Bronze
May 19, 2018 8:08 am  

I gave the rules based on quarters, where I would have a safety and a flat player. But even then the safeties rules are very close to that of the flat defender.

Even in "blue squat" our version of two read, the flat rules never apply to the corner. The flat rules are designed to be played inside out. So it's for the player who aligns over the number two wide receiver.

The corners rules are in the same in squat except he no longer has vertical responsibility. So he can now jump a quick out or a quick hitch. In base blue, he has to stay vertical as long as two is vertical.

arriving even later to the party...
what do you do when you call "blue squat" and #1 and #2 go vertical?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: