Notifications

How many coverage schemes?  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold
September 4, 2013 11:09 am  

How many coverage schemes do most teach? We are basing out of a Cover 0/1 scheme and with the number of passes we see through out the regular season, it is probably plenty. But if we make the play-offs especially our championship, I'm thinking we might need an alternative. Two teams in the other division pass more frequently. Cover 1 would probably be an easier teach with the man under coverage, but now I have players covering different recievers than they are used to. So I'm thinking a pure zone such as Cover 3 would be a better alternative for the kids to remember.  This is assuming the time is alloted to teach it. Or would it be better to ride the season out and just make sure our man coverage is coached up and have an alternative prepared for next season?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice? Its all appreciated.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 4, 2013 11:20 am  

Cover 3 and 4

Quite easy actually I don't normally do that. Basically my adjustments are safety based so nothing changes really for the corners or lbs.  Safeties are my best guys on defense.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
September 4, 2013 11:24 am  

We use cover 2, 3 & man.  Just depends on the allignemnt of the offense.  We call out what coverage were in every play.  So when we BEAR front, we yell BEAR 3, BEAR 3.  Or BASE 2, BASE 2.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold
September 4, 2013 11:29 am  

Us: Cover 0, Man/free, Cover 3

ReplyQuote
coachmsl
(@coachmsl)
Bronze
September 4, 2013 11:47 am  

Cover 2 & 3 is all

What makes the grass grow?...........BLOOD!

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum
September 5, 2013 8:59 am  

How many coverage schemes do most teach? We are basing out of a Cover 0/1 scheme and with the number of passes we see through out the regular season, it is probably plenty. But if we make the play-offs especially our championship, I'm thinking we might need an alternative. Two teams in the other division pass more frequently. Cover 1 would probably be an easier teach with the man under coverage, but now I have players covering different recievers than they are used to. So I'm thinking a pure zone such as Cover 3 would be a better alternative for the kids to remember.  This is assuming the time is alloted to teach it. Or would it be better to ride the season out and just make sure our man coverage is coached up and have an alternative prepared for next season?

In YOUTH ball I would teach EITHER Man (preferably), or ZONE (but not both).

It is hard ENOUGH (on the large High School Level) for kids to REMEMBER IN THE HEAT OF BATTLE:
1.  Am I in MAN (I should not lose SIGHT of the "man")?
2.  Am I in ZONE (I must not lose sight of the ball)?

I stand behind the scouting team & study the EYES of the DB's, & it is EASY for them to get confused (even the BETTER athletes, with the FINE Secondary Coach - Bob Dance -  we had).

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
33coach
(@33coach)
Bronze
September 27, 2013 10:10 am  

In YOUTH ball I would teach EITHER Man (preferably), or ZONE (but not both).

It is hard ENOUGH (on the large High School Level) for kids to REMEMBER IN THE HEAT OF BATTLE:
1.  Am I in MAN (I should not lose SIGHT of the "man")?
2.  Am I in ZONE (I must mnot lose sight of the ball)?

I stand behind the scouting team & study the EYES of the DB's, & it is EASY for them to get confused (even the BETTER athletes, with the FINE Secondary Coach - Bob Dance -  we had).

in youth ball im never going to teach man again.

you have 11 defenders...the last thing i want is my guys watching someone who doesnt have the ball. plus with all of the MPP rules / decoy recievers (OL who are out there for plays..) its just not worth losing the focus of a player on the field.

we start with cover 3. (Sabans Rip/Liz which is stupidly simple) then we teach a 2 robber scheme.

STC & TEs coach - Mission Prep HSNewly Converted member to the Church of Saint Tubby

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 27, 2013 10:40 am  

We taught zone early this year as pattern reading. Now we are in pure man. With the ability of quarters coverage pretty cool.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum
September 27, 2013 11:19 am  

CHOICES (YOU pick):

1) The defensive FRONT:

A) EVEN (uncovered Center)
B) OKIE (Center covered and both Guards are uncovered)
C) OVER (uncovered Guard away from strength)
D) UNDER (uncovered Guard to the side of strength)
E) SOLID (Center and both Guards are covered)

2) The defensive Secondary:

A) Cover 0 (M/M with NO F/S)
B) Cover 1 (M/M with F/S)
C) Cover 2 (2 deep zone/5 under zone)
D) Cover 2/MAN (2 deep zone/5 under man)
E) Cover 3 (3 deep zone/4 under zone)
F) Cover 4 (4 Deep Quarters Zone)

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 27, 2013 2:49 pm  

We run cover 2 and 3. Our cover 3 can go to 1/4, 1/4, 1/2 depending on the offense.

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold
September 27, 2013 4:53 pm  

Thanks for the input fellas.  As our practice schedule stands now, I am only sticking with teaching one coverage scheme, for sure. We would have to take time away from tackling drills and we aren't good enough at that yet either. We'll stick with our M/M scheme and get as good at it as we possibly can. We are adding Loose man in addition to our Bump and Run. This is my first year running M/M but I know we have the athletes to make up for my ability to teach it. Though, It has been tough breaking them of first looking at the qb and not getting a good bump and read on their man first.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
September 27, 2013 6:27 pm  

We have 4 , but  I only run 2,  thats it .... Cov 3, and Cov 1, I prefer being in man, but the HC says I have to run atleast 1 zone coverage package

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
coachnick
(@coachnick)
Gold
October 1, 2013 7:53 am  

coach bill mountjoy how many coverages would you suggest max for  high school varsity?

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
October 1, 2013 7:54 am  

Tampa 2 Based Coverages.

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum
October 6, 2013 4:50 pm  

coach bill mountjoy how many coverages would you suggest max for  high school varsity?

TWO!  One for "normal" situations in your BASE package (COVER 3/ZONE,  OR,  COVER 1/MAN-FREE), & one for MAX/BLITZ (COVER 0).

ATTACHED is "Cover 0" in the Wide Tackle 6 (there are 24 DIFFERENT TYPES of "FORMATION FAMILIES" - I have it drawn vs. TW0 (won't have TIME TO DRAW IT VS. THE other 22)!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: