Notifications

How many coverage schemes?  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

Coach Ken
(@coach-ken)
Copper
March 30, 2015 8:55 am  

@ "You're a Killer Bee candidate" Not sure what that means, not familiar with the Killer Bee. I've seen it referenced a few times so now you're going make me do research (lol).

“A system should never reduce the game to the point where it simply blames the players for failure because they did not physically overwhelm the opponent.” - Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Michael ODonnell
(@michael-odonnell)
Bronze
April 1, 2015 12:47 pm  

I know it is a bit late for an answer to the original question but if you could have a base coverage (lets say Cover 2 - 2 deep zone with zone coverage underneath ) and then, as an alternate coverage, have something where it looks like the original coverage (Cover 2 Man - 2 deep zone with man to man underneath), you can cause a lot of problems to the offense. By having coverages that appear to be identical but one being primarily man (in part) and the other being zone, the QBs keys may be disrupted.

Your coverages need to be matched to your front pressure as well (ex. bringing 5 would give a 4 under/2 deep double zone while coming with 6 indicates a 3 under/2 deep look if one wanted to stay in a 2 deep shell). As others have indicated, the younger you are, the fewer coverages you should employ and being able to play man to man should preceed playing zone (much like in youth basketball).

The last year I was a high school varsity defensive coordinator we based everything out of our 3-deep zone but we employed pure zone, pure man, and a combination man/zone look that was difficult to read. We matched our coverages to our opponent's formations and then drilled on their favorite plays from each formation/look.

We are all in this together.Simple is good . . . simpler is better.

ReplyQuote
coachnick
(@coachnick)
Gold
April 1, 2015 3:39 pm  

hey mike when you were in zone did you spot drop or pattern read?

ReplyQuote
Michael ODonnell
(@michael-odonnell)
Bronze
April 3, 2015 6:22 am  

Nick,

Based on our scouting reports that looked at down, distance, field position, hash mark, and formation (much like many of you already do), we then had an idea of what you might do from your offensive set at that spot on the field. As a result, when we saw pass, we initially spot dropped (because of what we felt you were going to do) and then we pattern read (were you doing what we thought you would do?). Is this complicated? Not really but we believed in what we were doing and we felt we were able to teach it. I would guess that, for the most part, we were more of a spot drop team but how you aligned definitely influenced where and how we dropped because of what you might run from your given formation.

We are all in this together.Simple is good . . . simpler is better.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
April 3, 2015 7:30 am  

How many coverage schemes do most teach? We are basing out of a Cover 0/1 scheme and with the number of passes we see through out the regular season, it is probably plenty. But if we make the play-offs especially our championship, I'm thinking we might need an alternative. Two teams in the other division pass more frequently. Cover 1 would probably be an easier teach with the man under coverage, but now I have players covering different recievers than they are used to. So I'm thinking a pure zone such as Cover 3 would be a better alternative for the kids to remember.  This is assuming the time is alloted to teach it. Or would it be better to ride the season out and just make sure our man coverage is coached up and have an alternative prepared for next season?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice? Its all appreciated.

cover 0-we blitz a lot
cover 1- our base
man under cover 2- our nickel
man under cover 3-our  prevent
spy coverage (spurs pick up backs swinging out, mike spys qb, or moose blitzed and fs spies qb)

more than enough.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
defensewins
(@defensewins)
Silver
May 29, 2015 7:59 am  

Going in to next season, we run four coverages (HS Varsity)

Cover 2
Cover 3 (roll a safety down for curl/flat and force from our base cover 2)
Cover 0
Cover 1

It sounds like a lot, and quite frankly, too much for HS.  But, like everything else at any level of football, it comes down to how you teach it. 

I really like how all of our stuff derives from our base (cover 2).  In youth, I would never base out of cover 2...a version of quarters maybe...but not cover 2.  But, for us, presnap, we are aligned in cover 2 for everything.  We adjust prior to the snap to get to cover 0 will little to no movement.  We roll late to get to cover 3.  And when you do something to "tip our hat" when we roll, now we can make it look like cover 3 and bring pressure with cover 1.  All with minimal teaching. 

Once we have our cover 2 base taught, we teach man.  From there, the changes are more "who is doing what" than changing techniques.  For example, if you teach all your WR to run a slant and a vertical...and you have a concept were the outside receiver runs a slant and the inside runs a vertical.  If you wanted to tweak the concept so the outside receiver runs a vertical and the inside runs a slant...it's not a biggie for the kids.  They already know how to do what you're asking them to do, so it's a simple teach. 

I think we all want to get the most bang for our buck.  Practice time is limited as it is with the kids having to go to that thing called school.  The more we as coaches can utilize things that we have already taught, the more efficient our schemes will be. 

ReplyQuote
33coach
(@33coach)
Bronze
December 14, 2015 7:39 am  

i've gone a complete 180 on this. also, ive started contemplating the "saban" method - where you teach a coverage with change ups rather then new coverage:

example: Cover 3

Cover 3 - with OLB in the flat
Cover 3 - with Corners in the flats / OLBs deep
Cover 3 "spin" with FS in the strong flat, weak OLB in the deep middle, and inside backer in the weak flat
Cover 3 - with inside backers in the flats

no matter how you look at it, its still a 4 under 3 deep zone, but the players are in different places.

doing this is more effective in my mind, then teaching multiple coverages.

STC & TEs coach - Mission Prep HSNewly Converted member to the Church of Saint Tubby

ReplyQuote
CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold
December 14, 2015 3:47 pm  

Our HC had over a dozen coverages..... Man / zone / combo.. Cover 3,  cover 2, hard cover 2, cover 1, man 1, man 2,  3 sky,  3 cloud,  dbl sky,  dbl cloud.  Roll 3...some had strong weak calls...

We also ran 33 stack,  52 under,  43 over,  and 425 and combos of each......

"Whether you think you can, or cannot, you're probably right."

ReplyQuote
33coach
(@33coach)
Bronze
December 14, 2015 4:24 pm  

Our HC had over a dozen coverages..... Man / zone / combo.. Cover 3,  cover 2, hard cover 2, cover 1, man 1, man 2,  3 sky,  3 cloud,  dbl sky,  dbl cloud.  Roll 3...some had strong weak calls...

We also ran 33 stack,  52 under,  43 over,  and 425 and combos of each......

another coach had a tagline on huey that ive always loved.... "play defense, not defenses"

STC & TEs coach - Mission Prep HSNewly Converted member to the Church of Saint Tubby

ReplyQuote
CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold
December 14, 2015 5:20 pm  

another coach had a tagline on huey that ive always loved.... "play defense, not defenses"

Well that coach must not know what he's talking about.... The opponents offenses only took a play or two and they were off the field.......

ReplyQuote
33coach
(@33coach)
Bronze
December 14, 2015 5:38 pm  

Well that coach must not know what he's talking about.... The opponents offenses only took a play or two and they were off the field.......

must have good athletes. - because i know if i tried to teach my DL to 1 gap slant, proper 2 gap, 1 gap from a shade, and play BDSD...their heads would pop off (thats what they would have to effectively learn to run all those defenses as they are written)

now if you are just lineing up in those...then you arnt actually running those defenses.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
December 14, 2015 6:15 pm  

Defense is all about Personnel and Personality!

Buddy Ryan once said his 46 was "No Defense For Dummies!" and he is 100% correct! But then again Buddy played it Balls to the Wall!

By contrast, Tom Landry (Father of the 4-3 and Flex) was a bit more conservative....Bend but don't Break!   

Both selected Personnel with that same mind set.  Who was right?  Answer!? They both were!

I suggest your Defense is somewhere in between those philosophies! 

Personally.  I am more aggressive with better personnel than I am with average kids.  Yet more often than not, I will state categorically, they both ends are but a few points difference between!  Why? Personality! 

I am more conservative defensively speaking.  I want kids to play their roles!  I want kids to perform within the concept of the defense I run.  However, its up to me recognize when my personnel allows me to take more chances and when its best to pound on Base!   

Ergo, since my coverage dictates my front, I must determine how well my DB's play Football!  Then I can decide, how aggressive or bend but don't break I can be! 

Clear as Mud?

😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold
December 15, 2015 3:09 am  

must have good athletes. - because i know if i tried to teach my DL to 1 gap slant, proper 2 gap, 1 gap from a shade, and play BDSD...their heads would pop off (thats what they would have to effectively learn to run all those defenses as they are written)

now if you are just lineing up in those...then you arnt actually running those defenses.

We were a 2 gap,  1 gap,  and sea ting defense.........

Just to make sure your reading my posts correctly...... our opponents offense usually scored within a play or two then left the field.  If we forced a 5 play drive I was amazed.

We gave up over 40 points most games,  several games we gave up over 50. 

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold
Head Coach
December 15, 2015 5:57 am  

Sorry to hear that Craig i know you personally are much better than that .Clearly this guy had no idea about a Sound type defensive scheme that has answers.

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
33coach
(@33coach)
Bronze
December 15, 2015 6:10 am  

We were a 2 gap,  1 gap,  and sea ting defense.........

Just to make sure your reading my posts correctly...... our opponents offense usually scored within a play or two then left the field.  If we forced a 5 play drive I was amazed.

We gave up over 40 points most games,  several games we gave up over 50.

OHHHHH Hhahahahaha. yea..i was reading that the other way... (shutouts, not shootouts 😉 )

so you guys were playing SEC Style defense huh? 🙂

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: