Notifications

In phase/Out of Phase  

RSS

CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold
February 13, 2016 9:38 am  

Term I heard when discussing defensive backs and coverage techniques.  Can some one explain what it means to get "In phase" with the receiver when picking them up in coverage, or a good reference to read up on it?  Thanks.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
February 13, 2016 9:44 am  

I'm no expert, but I did hear Saban talk about it.

The way he used the terms, in phase means you're in good shape and out of phase means you're in trouble and have to recover. 

He said in phase you play the ball and out of phase you run to the man to get back in phase.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
February 13, 2016 9:44 am  

D

This is primarily a man coverage technique.

In Phase referring to being in sync or position with the offensive player.

Out Of Phase meaning out of coverage position.

When a defender is out of phase he must battle to get back into phase first then defend.

Hope that helps.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
February 13, 2016 10:16 am  

Term I heard when discussing defensive backs and coverage techniques.  Can some one explain what it means to get "In phase" with the receiver when picking them up in coverage, or a good reference to read up on it?  Thanks.

fizz,

We are a man to man team.  We stress staying phase, once in phase we can then play the ball. you have to play the man first, get into phase...but what does that mean?

description of "in phase" for us:

we want the dback between the qb and receiver at all times. Always "under" the receiver but in a position where hes within a forearms length of the receiver.  INside ...under...forearm length behind.....between the qb and receiver..

we say "chew triceps" meaning the receivers arm is bit off by the dback when in phase....

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold
February 13, 2016 10:51 am  

Thanks guys. That clears it up perfectly. Can't worry about the ball unless you are in position to defend it. Helps understand the hand slapping techniques once in phase.

Thanks again.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
February 13, 2016 5:24 pm  

Saban mentioned that donors would ask him why Alabama never seems to have DBs who are beaten make picks on balls that are way underthrown.  He said they're trying to get back into phase rather than playing the ball, because it's easy to misjudge the ball and only think it's underthrown and get beaten over the top for a score.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Share: