Notifications

Motion rules for both Man and Zone  

RSS

YouthCoach
(@youthcoach)
Copper
December 29, 2015 9:27 am  

Heya all,

Newish DC here and I am looking for a few rules to how to handle motion... My weak spot on the field is for sure the Defensive Backfield so I am looking to learn some basics 😀

I will be running a basic 44 stack style of an defense that will have cover 0,1,2,3 in it. So I am really looking for what to do if we see motion in both zone or man coverages.

Thanks for the help all 😀

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
December 29, 2015 9:46 am  

Too many coverages. Many high schools won't run 4 coverages. If your weakness is the secondary I would urge you to go with the more is less philosophy.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
December 29, 2015 9:53 am  

Heya all,

Newish DC here and I am looking for a few rules to how to handle motion... My weak spot on the field is for sure the Defensive Backfield so I am looking to learn some basics 😀

I will be running a basic 44 stack style of an defense that will have cover 0,1,2,3 in it. So I am really looking for what to do if we see motion in both zone or man coverages.

What is really difficult is when you have kids that chase motion when you should be bumping....or they think they can bump and don't chase....those things happen when you try to do too much.

when we ran the 353, we only chased motion vs ace backfield sets because there was nobody to bump motion to vs ace...."chase vs ace"...but we didn't chase in a zone or vs two back man coverages...sometimes even hs kids messed that up.

so...we only plan man to man and we chase everything in our 46. 

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
YouthCoach
(@youthcoach)
Copper
December 29, 2015 10:07 am  

Too many coverages. Many high schools won't run 4 coverages. If your weakness is the secondary I would urge you to go with the more is less philosophy.

After you posted this I am actually taking this to heart 😀 You are right, I would pretty much like to run a cover 2 and 3 with man... that should allow me to cover almost everything out there effectively and what not.

The real question I always get is who goes with a motion man while in man cover... my first thought is you follow him and he is still your man... but then some tell me that is wrong

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
December 29, 2015 10:15 am  

After you posted this I am actually taking this to heart 😀 You are right, I would pretty much like to run a cover 2 and 3 with man... that should allow me to cover almost everything out there effectively and what not.

The real question I always get is who goes with a motion man while in man cover... my first thought is you follow him and he is still your man... but then some tell me that is wrong

Just examine what happens with a two back set with a man in motion vs a one back set with a man in motion, start there.  youll figure that out quickly

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
December 29, 2015 5:49 pm  

I would bet most youth coaches that run a 44 would run cover 3 behind it. No need to chase motion. The trickiest thing you will probably see in youth is trips.

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold
December 30, 2015 6:27 am  

I will run a 4-4, With a spot drop Cover-3, and will roll the coverage towards twins or trips. (1/4,1/4,1/2) So we will bump the coverage pre-snap, and if they motion to an overload, we will need to roll the coverage.

I want to add Cover-1/0 as a change up and to better handle quads or empty sets, but we really need to have our cover 3 working well to start teaching man and different alignment responsibilities.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
December 30, 2015 7:22 am  

I will run a 4-4, With a spot drop Cover-3, and will roll the coverage towards twins or trips. (1/4,1/4,1/2) So we will bump the coverage pre-snap, and if they motion to an overload, we will need to roll the coverage.

I want to add Cover-1/0 as a change up and to better handle quads or empty sets, but we really need to have our cover 3 working well to start teaching man and different alignment responsibilities.

Switching between man and zone changes so much more than just cb technique as you know. The front and second level responsibilities most likely change as well.

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold
December 30, 2015 7:32 am  

Switching between man and zone changes so much more than just cb technique as you know. The front and second level responsibilities most likely change as well.

Exactly. Especially with force/contain responsibilities. That is the OLB's primary responsibility, put them on a man, now you are teaching your DE new responsibilities and techniques. It is just more info for a kid to digest.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
defensewins
(@defensewins)
Silver
February 26, 2016 1:18 pm  

What is really difficult is when you have kids that chase motion when you should be bumping....or they think they can bump and don't chase....those things happen when you try to do too much.

when we ran the 353, we only chased motion vs ace backfield sets because there was nobody to bump motion to vs ace...."chase vs ace"...but we didn't chase in a zone or vs two back man coverages...sometimes even hs kids messed that up.

so...we only plan man to man and we chase everything in our 46. 

Can you describe your bump please?  Reason being, we had a man coverage that bumped whenever possible and we got a ton of mileage out of it.  Basically, our rule was if my guy crosses another defender's guy, the defenders switch guys. 

--------------2---------------3-------------------
1----------------------------------------------0-0-x-0-0-------
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
C------------F----------------$----------------------------------
(depths of defenders not to scale)

so if 3 motioned outside of 2 (to the defense's left), the F would now have 3 and the $ would take 2

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
February 26, 2016 6:50 pm  

DW: That is my take on "Bumping Coverage" as well!

In Man we dont chase!  We Bump!  Eliminates the "Keystone Cops" Coverage! 

😀

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
February 27, 2016 2:37 am  

We blitz vs motion across formotion

Once the motion man passes center the fs takes him

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
December 17, 2016 8:04 am  

Heya all,

A 4-4 is a balanced defense, which gives a good base to handle motion by bumping.

Simplify what you do.  Don't have that many coverages.  Run Man and a Cov. 3.  That's more than you will likely need.  Maybe run a Quarters if you see a lot of passing and spread stuff.

In a 4-4, make this really simple for your kids.  Teach them to identify #1, #2, and #3 receivers to their side.  Have them bump, rather than run with him.

CB aligns over #1 to his side.
OLB aligns off #2 to his side.  If #2 to his side's in the backfield, he'll align wherever you want him.
FS will identify #3 and cap his deep route.  If #3 is in the backfield, he'll align in the MOF.

That will keep you aligned vs. motion.  From there, they get into their man coverage responsibilities:

CB is manned on #1
OLB is manned on #2
FS has deep MOF and will man up on #3 vs. Trips

If you teach Cov. 3 zone, just teach it as a spot dropping thing where they stay over top of their receiver and read the QB's eyes:
CB drops to deep top of the numbers and stays over top of #1
FS drops to deep MOF right between the hashes--get over top of the nearest receiver
OLB drops to the top of the numbers at about 5 yards deep and reads QB's eyes.
ILB drops to the hashes about 10-12 yards deep and reads QB's eyes.

Make sure they're actually aware of receivers there and getting underneath them if they're in the underneath zone and over top of them if they're in the deep zones.

You can have some success auto blitzing Jet and Rocket motion with the OLB if you see a team who likes to run a lot of it, but your FS needs to replace the auto-blitzer in deep coverage.  That can leave you in some trouble when they're motioning to Trips.

ReplyQuote
Share: