Notifications

Question for Single Hi Safety Coaches  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 23, 2016 11:51 am  

Running the 353. I have not played a Single Hi Safety in probably 8 seasons.

I am now reminded what a waste it is to play this way.

How can I play him as a Monster in a 35 Defense?...or something other than a 3rd level defender?  I have so much going on with the Spurs and the OLB's already....it seems like the FS might get in their way if I bring him down as a 2nd level defender.

Any thoughts?

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Yankee Charlie
(@gacoachycarr)
Gold
August 23, 2016 11:58 am  

Think back to your 46 days.  Get a beast that will run the alley.  Definitely not a waste with a good player. 3-5-3 is supposed to be strongest NG, Mike, FS.

"A boy comes to me with a spark of interest and it becomes a flame. I feed the flame and it becomes fire, I feed the fire and it becomes a roaring blaze" - Cus D'Amato, 1908-1985

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 23, 2016 12:01 pm  

Think back to your 46 days.  Get a beast that will run the alley.  Definitely not a waste with a good player. 3-5-3 is supposed to be strongest NG, Mike, FS.

Agreed....watching film of our Jamborees....a whole lotta nothing out of the FS position even though high effort was in play.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 23, 2016 12:29 pm  

Agreed....watching film of our Jamborees....a whole lotta nothing out of the FS position even though high effort was in play.

Whole lot of nothing as in tackles? Is he forcing the player to another player?

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 23, 2016 12:47 pm  

Monster with coverage responsibilities  or with run...or both...spy... "jack" or run only lb

If you use your auto blitz wouldnt the fs be taking over for someone?

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 23, 2016 12:52 pm  

I like these guys

http://www.blitzology.com/?m=1

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 23, 2016 1:26 pm  

Monster with coverage responsibilities  or with run...or both...spy... "jack" or run only lb

If you use your auto blitz wouldnt the fs be taking over for someone?

Only on a CB auto blitz but that is kinda rare. I can turn auto blitzing on or off.

Im not sure how to fit a FS into the second level. Rules are clean so he will mess with all that.

He just has too much field to cover is my deduction so why waste him every down.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 23, 2016 1:26 pm  

I like these guys

http://www.blitzology.com/?m=1

Thanks....I will check this out.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 23, 2016 1:32 pm  

Whole lot of nothing as in tackles? Is he forcing the player to another player?

Yes. He is the guy that has the ball forced to him.

He either does nothing on a run....which is good. Or does nothing on a pass....which is not good. He is also a top flight player and seems to be wasted most of the time.

I'd like to get him into the mix. Its early and the D is not quite there as a unit yet but I can already tell that Im not going to like this 3rd level as an every down kinda thing.

In our Jamborees....6 teams to date and 5 were pass happy. FS was invisible even though our coverage was generally outstanding.

Run support? Too far to travel for my tastes.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 23, 2016 4:29 pm  

Only on a CB auto blitz but that is kinda rare. I can turn auto blitzing on or off.

Im not sure how to fit a FS into the second level. Rules are clean so he will mess with all that.

He just has too much field to cover is my deduction so why waste him every down.

Single high can be used in run support ala dc 46...

Our 10 yr old jv team uses a monster on the los and in an full house even set hes another backer

So if the formation is not balanced hes a 9tech to the field or strength of formation. If even and in mid field put him in a 20 and move the mike to a 20

-------0--0-- #--0--0
-------4-------0--------4
-------b----m----f------b

Ide actually put the sam and will into 70 tech or at depth inside the te if hes there.

Just an idea

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 23, 2016 6:19 pm  

Single high can be used in run support ala dc 46...

Our 10 yr old jv team uses a monster on the los and in an full house even set hes another backer

So if the formation is not balanced hes a 9tech to the field or strength of formation. If even and in mid field put him in a 20 and move the mike to a 20

-------0--0-- #--0--0
-------4-------0--------4
-------b----m----f------b

Ide actually put the sam and will into 70 tech or at depth inside the te if hes there.

Just an idea

Hmmmmm....you just gave me an idea. Thanks Brother !

I'll be doing some scribblin' tonight and report back to you in the am.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 24, 2016 8:35 am  

So here is my thinking.

The 353 is stunt heavy and what makes it a difficult D to teach.

Every position on this D has at least one stunt. The M, S and W are the most active while the Spurs and CB's stunt by Rules of alignment / motions with very few called stunts.

Currently the FS takes over for the CB's stunting. So now I am going to have him take over for all 2nd level stunts as well. This will help alleviate all the rolling we must teach. The issue is....on any given play I can have one LB'r, one Spur and one CB stunting. So now I have to play around with turning Rules on and off.

That is the beauty of this D. By Rule and by Call the D is very multiple without giving up its base principles. Basically ....as multiple as the Offense can be...the D can out pace the Offense in this regard. 

Sounds complicated but its not compared to the overall big picture. This D requires experienced players and a staff to match.

Fortunately I have both so Im not worried. Just sick and tired of watching one of the best players on the field run around doing nothing half the time.

ReplyQuote
33coach
(@33coach)
Bronze
August 24, 2016 12:57 pm  

Running the 353. I have not played a Single Hi Safety in probably 8 seasons.

I am now reminded what a waste it is to play this way.

How can I play him as a Monster in a 35 Defense?...or something other than a 3rd level defender?  I have so much going on with the Spurs and the OLB's already....it seems like the FS might get in their way if I bring him down as a 2nd level defender.

Any thoughts?

why is he a waste?
are you teaching him proper run support techniques as a DB coach?

my FS is very active in both the run and pass game...

there are 2 things you can do:

-- play a robber from the 3-5 (its the same as the VT 44 robber - 8 man front, FS robs post/curl of #2, CBs bail to deep 1/2)

-- play monster roll him down to the call side, slant away from him - bring someone from the monster side. and play a 2 deep coverage without a robber. 
-- -- CBs bail to deep half (dont show it till the middle of the cadence)
-- -- FS - force, flat
-- -- WOLB - force, flat

-- -- backers have their normal drops.

STC & TEs coach - Mission Prep HSNewly Converted member to the Church of Saint Tubby

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 24, 2016 1:05 pm  

why is he a waste?
are you teaching him proper run support techniques as a DB coach?

my FS is very active in both the run and pass game...

there are 2 things you can do:

-- play a robber from the 3-5 (its the same as the VT 44 robber - 8 man front, FS robs post/curl of #2, CBs bail to deep 1/2)

-- play monster roll him down to the call side, slant away from him - bring someone from the monster side. and play a 2 deep coverage without a robber. 
-- -- CBs bail to deep half (dont show it till the middle of the cadence)
-- -- FS - force, flat
-- -- WOLB - force, flat

-- -- backers have their normal drops.

He runs around like a track star half the time and why I was curious about playing him more as a monster.

As is...he is being wasted. Although part of that is me and my mind set. I am not a fan of traditional 3rd level players. If the ball gets to the third level...prepare to block the PAT kick is my take.

So...make it exponentially more difficult to get to the third level without being irresponsibly aggressive.

ReplyQuote
33coach
(@33coach)
Bronze
August 24, 2016 1:12 pm  

He runs around like a track star half the time and why I was curious about playing him more as a monster.

As is...he is being wasted. Although part of that is me and my mind set. I am not a fan of traditional 3rd level players. If the ball gets to the third level...prepare to block the PAT kick is my take.

So...make it exponentially more difficult to get to the third level without being irresponsibly aggressive.

if he is a track star type kid, play more robber / monster to the open field side. its a valid concept...worked well for the old 44 guys.

STC & TEs coach - Mission Prep HSNewly Converted member to the Church of Saint Tubby

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: