Notifications

Twins  

RSS

lionscoach
(@lionscoach)
Bronze
January 9, 2014 7:56 pm  

In general, against twins and when you are in an 8 man front, do you prefer corner over, sliding out a linebacker, or covering with a safety? I know this may be scheme and coverage dependent,  but all other things being equal, what results in the best defense for you? What about with a 7 man front?

defensewins
(@defensewins)
Silver
January 10, 2014 5:11 am  

Playing zone, slide the linebacker out.

Playing man, my personal preference would be to bring the corner over to keep the match ups the same.  With that said, if you play a lot of zone and a little bit of man, I'd put the safety on the slot.

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum
January 10, 2014 5:45 am  

Lions,

If I am playing a pure zone defense like Jack's 63 then I'm sliding out a LB to maintain the position/zone relationship.

In man coverage it can be a different story.  I like bringing the CB over as he is a pure coverage player and if your a scout and match-up type coach it might be your only possibility.  I also like keeping the FS over the top to key the QB, the ball and any runs by the QB.

With a 7-man box I would prefer my SS to be a run support type player (3rd LB'r) with coverage skills.  I would give him the QB responsibility and let my FS cover cover any #2 receiver and bring the CB over for any #2/#3.

At youth level defenses I see coaches/schemes not moving a CB over for simplicity reasons.
- It is easier to create a single coverage rule.
- The kids get accustom to their area.

Another thing to consider if your CB moves over it makes a last second coverage change or adjustment from man to zone very difficult.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold
January 14, 2014 5:08 am  

We have transitioned to a pure man cover 0 scheme, so our safety will always take the #2 in a twins set. We will only go to 7 in the box against a 2x2 or 3x1 spread set when a linebacker has to step out into coverage.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum
January 14, 2014 5:36 am  

In general, against twins and when you are in an 8 man front, do you prefer corner over, sliding out a linebacker, or covering with a safety? I know this may be scheme and coverage dependent,  but all other things being equal, what results in the best defense for you? What about with a 7 man front?

IF you play MAN = F/S goes out on #2.  IF you play zone = OLB  in Cover 3 goes out.

Both are easy, & we have used both.

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
Share: