Notifications
Clear all

Facing a Pistol Offense next week

CoachBobV
(@coachbobv)
Copper
Topic starter  

Coaches,
  Need a bit of help defending a Pistol O. QB is the team stud, lines up at a depth of 4 yds, with back either on right or left of him appx. a yd. behind. Double TEs, double WBs out about 4-5 yds from TE. Just wondering about my base alignment and any adjustments I should make. They tended to sweep a lot with the QB, a few passes but not a lot. Any help would be appreciated. Scouted them today, was expecting them to be running Dave Cisars SW but they have new coaches and I am pretty sure it's the Pistol and I haven't had to face that yet in all my years. The center gets the ball back to QB decently but tends to go a bit high with the snap....qb having to jump up for it quite a few times. I have a beast of a nick that I know will be able to wreck havoc with the snap and get on the qb pretty dam quick. Would appreciate all your thoughts. Thanks,
                                    Coach Bob V

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Do nothing.

It is what it is....a direct snap offense. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachBobV
(@coachbobv)
Copper
Topic starter  

Thanks Mahonz....that's what I thought but having not faced this O before I just wanted to make sure. I'll let you know how we make out.

ReplyQuote
CoachTech
(@coachtech)
Bronze

We faced a similar situation in week 1.  QB as stud, same thing. You should get alot of empty sets. That leaves an extra blocker to CRACK your DE.  We got Cracked and Kicked out all day long.

Change is Inevitable, Personal Growth is optional, choose wisely.

ReplyQuote
CoachBobV
(@coachbobv)
Copper
Topic starter  

Thanks Coach Tech....we've got "Cracking the Cracker" down pretty good so I don't see that being a problem. Just not used to seeing an offense in exclusively a shot gun, at least not at my level.(PW Jr PW). Was thinking about using a "Mike Stone" coupled with reverse tilting DTs  to really blow things up in the backfield. My Nick and Mike are bruisers, just have to make sure the QB doesn't get outside as he is the stud of their team and really fast.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

Thanks Coach Tech....we've got "Cracking the Cracker" down pretty good so I don't see that being a problem. Just not used to seeing an offense in exclusively a shot gun, at least not at my level.(PW Jr PW). Was thinking about using a "Mike Stone" coupled with reverse tilting DTs  to really blow things up in the backfield. My Nick and Mike are bruisers, just have to make sure the QB doesn't get outside as he is the stud of their team and really fast.

Have the "Mike Stone" ready but don't use it until this QB proves he can beat you.  Then reverse and blow up the center and see if that doesn't shut them down.

The side the back lines up to should give you a play cue.  What is it?

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
CoachBobV
(@coachbobv)
Copper
Topic starter  

Clark,
For the most part the back was lined up on the QBs left side. Just finished breaking down film on them, they did a lot of off tackle to the left with the back and then once they had the d going to the right he would fake the handoff and sweep around the defenses left. Very fast QB with long lean legs, definitely the stud of the team. So do you think it best to just play them base at first and see what and if they can do anything? The center was decent with the long snap but I noticed the qb having to jump up for quite a few snaps, he's very tall so nothing over the head but definitely having to go full stretch to get some of them. Was thinking the Mike Stone would really rattle him and get him rushing his snap even more equating to more mistakes.

ReplyQuote
LIBERTYCOACH
(@libertycoach)
Bronze

We also face a Pistol team in two weeks.  In our case they run a double tight with a blocking back and a WR. Below is how we aligning and playing:

..............................................F...................................
.......................................W......................................
..........................M...................................................
...E.....C......T.......N..........T.....S....E....................C...
........0....0....0.....C.....0.....0.....0............................

Plays:

1) TB Off tackle with TEs fan blocking the DEs and the BB leading through.  BB is a big kid and gets a good head of steam (he will likely smear my Clyde and Sam who will be outweighed by 60 lbs).  Mike and Will (who are also not big) are keying the BB to the playside C gap. Treating this as an offset I formation with Will playing oppo of BB as he will end up there after snap.  Sam/Clyde should be unblocked (need to read TE) and should meet BB at LOS.  Fred is shading to the 2 receiver side to defend against the next play:

2) WR fade -  WR will run a fade with an initial move and then outside. QB can actually make this throw, so Fred is being told to read QB and then get over to help our smaller Clydes.

3) BB swing pass - defended by our DEs with help from Mike or Will

4) QB option - BB leads out on a sweep or off tackle for the QB with TB trailing to the outside.  Still working on best way to cover this one

5) TE pass - covered by Sam/Clyde BnR

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

Clark,
For the most part the back was lined up on the QBs left side. Just finished breaking down film on them, they did a lot of off tackle to the left with the back and then once they had the d going to the right he would fake the handoff and sweep around the defenses left. Very fast QB with long lean legs, definitely the stud of the team. So do you think it best to just play them base at first and see what and if they can do anything? The center was decent with the long snap but I noticed the qb having to jump up for quite a few snaps, he's very tall so nothing over the head but definitely having to go full stretch to get some of them. Was thinking the Mike Stone would really rattle him and get him rushing his snap even more equating to more mistakes.

W      M      F      S
          E  C  T  N    T C  E
              O O O 0 O O O
          O                        O
                    O O

M has back
F has QB.
Blitz the corners inside those TE's often.  Should get ugly.  If the wings are Flankers, swap the corners outside, put W and S on the TE's and blitz them.  The blitz should kill them.  Draw their plays up against this and see.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
CoachBobV
(@coachbobv)
Copper
Topic starter  

That looks perfect Clark. Watched the game film again with this in mind and it should totally shut them down.  Thank you.

ReplyQuote
CoachBobV
(@coachbobv)
Copper
Topic starter  

OK just thought I would let you all know how we did. Our D completely and absolutely shut them down. Not only did they not get a single first down against us but actually ended up with negative yardage for the game. Final score was 22-0. Another game where plenty of kids saw playing time. Best quote of the game from one of their players...."Man this sucks it's like they know all our plays...." Thanks for the help gentleman.
                                                                      Coach Bob V

ReplyQuote
LIBERTYCOACH
(@libertycoach)
Bronze

Happy to hear the adjustments worked for you.

We face our pistol team this weekend who use a blocking back close to LOS, and we have been repping stopping the off tackle play.  TB is about 6 yards deep with QB at 3 yards. We have been aligning like this:

..............................................F...................................
...............W.....................M.........................................
...E.....C......T.......N..........T.....S....E....................C...
........0....0....0.....C.....0.....0.....0............................

Issues we are having:

1) The DE runs by the play and gets kicked out by the blocking block who is very close to the LOS and coming full speed to kickout either Sam/Clyde (if TE fan blocks) or DE (if TE blocks down).  DE getting too deep even with his two steps.  I haven't used it before but I was thinking to stone both TEs to help keep the Sam/Clyde/DE from getting too deep.  I am teaching my Sam and Clyde to wrong arm the BB should they get into the backfield before he arrives.

2) TE release - the TE for this team is big at 5"10 160 (compared to our Clydes and LBs who max out at 120).  He will release to the outside.  So, issue is trying to control the C gap for off tackle while also covering this threat.  I need my Sam/Clyde inside shade as biggest threat is the off tackle play. I have Will/Mike currently covering TE on release to allow Clyde/Sam to control the C but TE is getting ahead of them on his out route.  Again, because of big vs small issues, I was thinking the Stone may work. 

Another thought is for the DE/Sam/Clyde/DT all drive the TE/OT/OG to the inside for 2-3 steps and then play football? Not sure this is sound?  Mike/Will have TE on release.

Here is a link to scout film.  They faced a 6-2 defense.  You'll see a lot of second level blocking by the Center and Tackle.  Team is in orange/green.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks

ReplyQuote
CoachBobV
(@coachbobv)
Copper
Topic starter  

Video is private coach, unable to access it.

ReplyQuote
LIBERTYCOACH
(@libertycoach)
Bronze

Sorry, link should work now.

ReplyQuote
Share: