Notifications
Clear all

Need help with an overloaded offense

Page 1 / 2

Geoketc
(@geoketc)
Copper
Topic starter  

I am going over last years film and looking at some of the teams we struggled with alignment wise. I have no idea what this offense is called let alone how to align the defense to it. I am using the DC46.

O O O C O O O
                                         O O O
                                     O

Can someone please advise?

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

It's a balanced line version of a formation called beast.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

While I don't run the DC 46 (it's on my reading list for this summer), I do run Coach Wilkins' Killer Bee. I was able to stop this offense by staying in my base alignment but lining up Mike and safeties as though they were in pass coverage. It looked something like this:

C           M   F  $  C  

W  E   T    T    E   S

O O O C O O O
              O O O
            O

Please note that Mike is 2 yards deep while the safeties were at 3 1/2 yards.

This is what worked for me... can't wait to see how the DC 46 does it!

Coach Terry

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
acsmith7062
(@acsmith7062)
Copper

That is a typical "Beast" formation.  Its simple, but extremely effective.  We run it, not as our base offense, but as a change up look.  We are a base Power Spread team.  When we get in "Beast" we are hoping that either, (1) the defense doesn't adjust (so we out number them at the point of attack, which is QB Power (off tackle), or (2) the defense over adjusts making them vulnerable to the QB cutting back at the LOS taking it right up the middle or handing it off to one of the sniffer backs on a counter.  This is also a great formation for rolling the QB out to the strong side and passing.

The defenses that give us problems adjust by shifting their defensive line one gap to our strong side, without over shifting their LBs and Safeties. 

-Chad 

"You fail all the time, but you aren't a failure until you start blaming someone else."   O.A. "Bum" Phillips

Geoketc liked
ReplyQuote
CoachSteel
(@coachsteel)
Copper

Beast is a tuff offense to defend against, ESPECIALLY if they can pass out of it. A good Beast offense will just lean on you for 3-5 yards a pop until you over compensate with blitzes or shifts. Then they run counter or pass and it’s an easy score. We run a 5-3 and what’s worked for us is to align our TNT in a 3-1-5 to the heavy side and walk our Sam up over the TE. We made sure to get hands on the TEs off the line as the team we played liked to throw play action to them off of blast action. Back side Corner is man to man on TE, Mike & Will key the closest sniffer back watching for counter. If your getting beat up front you can have your interior D-line crab to cause a pile up.

F           

C          W      M        C

E      DT    N     DT S  E

O  O  O  X  O  O   O

O O O

O

Geoketc liked
ReplyQuote
Geoketc
(@geoketc)
Copper
Topic starter  

@acsmith7062 yeah, 90% of their plays from this formation was a QB keeper. Either rolling with the blockers strong side or reversing and going weak side.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @geoketc

I am going over last years film and looking at some of the teams we struggled with alignment wise. I have no idea what this offense is called let alone how to align the defense to it. I am using the DC46.

O O O C O O O
                                         O O O
                                     O

As others have said, it's the "Beast" formation.  It's a common add-on for Double Wing teams because it's versatile, easily incorporates not only backside pulling, but also the Double Wing plays like Power, Counter, Sweep, and XX.  It's a good formation to pass from without being a "tell" because the running game in this set can be so strong.  I like it as a change-up, but not as a primary offensive set.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Geoketc
(@geoketc)
Copper
Topic starter  

@coachdp How would you suggest defending against this formation? They never threw from this formation. Most of the plays were QB keepers going off tackle.

George

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

@coachdp How would you suggest defending against this formation?

Shift your 1st-level defenders, but not your 2nd and 3rd level.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @acsmith7062

The defenses that give us problems adjust by shifting their defensive line one gap to our strong side, without over shifting their LBs and Safeties. 

-Chad 

Chad is spot on.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

@coachdp How would you suggest defending against this formation? They never threw from this formation. Most of the plays were QB keepers going off tackle.

George

George, you shouldn't just learn to defend it; you should run it.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

bigshel, Coach TonyM, Geoketc and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

O O O C O O O
                                         O O O
                                     O

Base dc rules will do just fine

-------------f

--------w----m----s

---9-c--3--0--3--c-9

-----0-0-0-#-0-0-0

----------------1-2-3

Mahomes will disagree probably bc he likes this offense 🙂

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

Geoketc liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @bucksweep58

O O O C O O O
                                         O O O
                                     O

Base dc rules will do just fine

-------------f

--------w----m----s

---9-c--3--0--3--c-9

-----0-0-0-#-0-0-0

----------------1-2-3

Mahomes will disagree probably bc he likes this offense 🙂

LOL....I think a double stone is a great idea. I would play cover 0 though. What hurts us the most is a bada$$ at MIKE that has a nose for the football. So...up the anty and play two MIKE's. If unbalanced....NG plays over the Center and the other 10 alight off him business as usual. Maybe kill the Weak stone and go back to cover one as a change up. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Geoketc liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

O O O C O O O
                                         O O O
                                     O

Unlimited weight or Pop Warner caped weight? It makes a difference on how you stone. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @mahonz

What hurts us the most is a bada$$ at MIKE that has a nose for the football. So...up the anty and play two MIKE's.

But if there's 2 of them, they're not Mikes, they're Ikes.  😉 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: